CDIH
Is Bernie Williams a Hall of Famer? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Is Bernie Williams a Hall of Famer? (/showthread.php?tid=10276)

Pages: 1 2

- GonzoStyle - 05-18-2005

bernie's a spic!?!?!?!

- Gooch - 05-18-2005

spic like span.

- Galt - 05-18-2005

HedCold Wrote:weakest gold glove winner ever
no, that's Jeter.

- Gooch - 05-18-2005

i agree with that. Jeter is the most overrated player since Mattingly. you put shit or mediocrity on the Yankees...and they want to canonize them.

- HedCold - 05-19-2005

Galt Wrote:
HedCold Wrote:weakest gold glove winner ever
no, that's Jeter.
i knew you were going to say that when i made the post
weakest gold glove outfielder ever

- jewdown - 05-19-2005

haters. the lot of ya

- Keyser Soze - 05-20-2005

i saw jeter and posada at the screening

- Galt - 05-21-2005

I saw Jeter, Mariano, Posada, and Bernie at a bar in Boston and it was so hilarious. There were let's say 50 girls in the entire bar. at least 20 of them were "hanging out" around the sofas where the Yankee players were. They weren't trying to talk to the guys, but they just "happened" to be standing right near the guys hoping that one of them would strike up conversation. Not one of the guys approached any of the girls, and very few of the girls actually tried to approach the guys (and all of them got show down from what I saw from across the room because they all ended up getting up and leaving pretty quickly).

But it was so funny to see how transparent the girls were just standing there praying that one of the rich ball players would try and pick them up.

- GonzoStyle - 05-21-2005

were you one of those "girls"?

- Galt - 05-21-2005

That post makes absolutely no sense. That's something Gooch could have written.

- Sir O - 05-22-2005

My first reaction to the question is "Hell fucking no!" But after looking at his stats and overall career, I really don't think it's that far-fetched. He mostly flew under the radar and never was a true "superstar" which he probably would have been if he played for some small-market team. I completely agree that he was overrated as a fielder. He was about average, maybe a bit above average, but not really deserving of one GG, let alone four.

But he did have a peak where he went 8 seasons with an OPS+ of 130 or more, including 159 in '98 and 157 in '99. I need to dig up my Win Shares book to see how he looks there, but I'd imagine he had a few seasons where he was near-MVP levels but didn't get much recognition because he was overshadowed by teammates or whatever.

Maybe I'll crunch some numbers tomorrow when I'm not drunk, but this Mets fan thinks Bernie Williams probably IS a potential HOFer. He was never THE best, but he played at a consistently high level for a good time. And there are definitely worse players in the Hall (but most of them are Yankees anyway...).

- GonzoStyle - 05-22-2005

Galt Wrote:That post makes absolutely no sense. That's something Gooch could have written.
It makes perfect sense, you're just afraid to admit you were one of the people vying for the smallest amount of attention. Yet you can't admit that here cause it'd ruin your rep and it's not as funny if you're the one being mocked.

- Galt - 05-22-2005

Well, first I said in the story ..."from accross the room" which states clearly that I wasn't even near them.
Second, why would I be vying for attenion? I'm not a girl. I'm not a gay. I'm not a Yankee fan.
Just admit it, Gooch

- Gooch - 05-22-2005

you'd be secretly hoping they'd ask for your financial expertise as you piss, alone, in the dark corner of mediocrity.

- GonzoStyle - 05-22-2005

Galt Wrote:Well, first I said in the story ..."from accross the room" which states clearly that I wasn't even near them.
Second, why would I be vying for attenion? I'm not a girl. I'm not a gay. I'm not a Yankee fan.
Just admit it, Gooch
Ok mister too cool for the room.

- Galt - 05-22-2005

I stand corrected. Gooch's response is actually better than what Gonzo wrote.

Luna.

- The Jays - 05-24-2005

Sir O Wrote:My first reaction to the question is "Hell fucking no!" But after looking at his stats and overall career, I really don't think it's that far-fetched. He mostly flew under the radar and never was a true "superstar" which he probably would have been if he played for some small-market team. I completely agree that he was overrated as a fielder. He was about average, maybe a bit above average, but not really deserving of one GG, let alone four.

But he did have a peak where he went 8 seasons with an OPS+ of 130 or more, including 159 in '98 and 157 in '99. I need to dig up my Win Shares book to see how he looks there, but I'd imagine he had a few seasons where he was near-MVP levels but didn't get much recognition because he was overshadowed by teammates or whatever.

Maybe I'll crunch some numbers tomorrow when I'm not drunk, but this Mets fan thinks Bernie Williams probably IS a potential HOFer. He was never THE best, but he played at a consistently high level for a good time. And there are definitely worse players in the Hall (but most of them are Yankees anyway...).
Yes! Sir O gives me a lil more validity!