CDIH
Smoking is a lifelong addiction... - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Smoking is a lifelong addiction... (/showthread.php?tid=1574)

Pages: 1 2

- virgingrrl - 05-03-2002

[Image: Parliament-lights-carton.gif]

[obligatory breakfast club quote]smoke up johnny!11![/obligatory breakfast club quote]

- OAS - 05-03-2002

Quote:I dreamt about cigars last night...... does that seem Freudian to anyone
Ladi a White House Intern? Nah, could never happen. :blow:

- Grumpy - 05-03-2002

I started smoking about 20 years ago. In those 20 years, I've attempted to stop at least 5-6 times. No matter how long I've gone without, I always come back to it. I think it goes back to what a counselor said at a Smoking Cesstation (sp?) my job sponsored a few years go. In order to overcome an addiction, you have to WANT to quit it psychologically and commit to it. And that's just it - I don't think that I truly WANT to quit.

I'm with Sean at this point. I quit trying to quit. I used to say I'm in between quitings but I'm only kidding myself. The one thing I WILL NOT EVER DO is smoke in front of my kids. I never smoke in the house or around my kids.

Edited By Grumpy on May 03 2002 at 10:47

- OAS - 05-03-2002

Quote:The one thing I WILL NOT EVER DUE is smoke in front of my kids. I never smoke in the house or around my kids.

I applaud you for that Grumpy. Children should never need to walk around looking down at the floor all the time to make sure there not stepping on a hot cigarette. :-D

- Maynard - 05-03-2002

Quote:Children should never need to walk around looking down at the floor all the time to make sure there not stepping on a hot cigarette.
Yeah, but they shouldnt have to walk around looking down so they dont step on their dad either. :roflmao:

So the thing that made me not want to smoke for the past year was cycling. I was riding my bike around 1,000 miles a month. Then, winter hit, and I haven't ridden in a few months. So I think that the lack of that distraction has caused my mind to wander.

- Maynard - 05-03-2002

Quote:[obligatory breakfast club quote]smoke up johnny!11![/obligatory breakfast club quote]
BTW.....it was a carton of Marlboro's, not Parliment. :-D:-p

- Lord Magus - 05-03-2002

Quote:Sherlock Holmes was a coke addict.

Actually... wasn't it Heroine?

- Spitfire - 05-03-2002

I'm pretty sure it was Opium, Magus...just like everyone else in England at that time, they got it real cheap from India...ahhhhh...without opium, we'd never have Alice in Wonderland either

- Lord Magus - 05-03-2002

Ran a quick check...
Quote:The Sign of Four opens with an alarming scene:

Sherlock Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantel-piece and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case. With his long, white, nervous fingers he adjusted the delicate needle, and rolled back his left shirt-cuff. For some little time his eyes rested thoughtfully upon the sinewy forearm and wrist all dotted and scarred with innumerable puncture-marks. Finally he thrust the sharp point home, pressed down the tiny piston, and sank back into the velvet-lined arm-chair with a long sigh of satisfaction.

A little later in the story Holmes states,

"It is cocaine," he said, "a seven-per-cent solution. Would you care to try it?"

Dent was correct... I thought it was Heroine because I remembered the needle and the puncture marks, forgot the explanation though. I was mistaken, sorry.

- Banana_juice - 05-03-2002

I have tried quitting 3 times.. i am 27 now and started smoking when i was 12. i have tried everything from zyban to the patch to getting hypnotized to quitting cold turkey.. the patch worked but as soon as i was done wiht the 12 weeks of the patch. i was smoking 5 days later.. i now again, smoke 2 packs a day of marlboro menthols.

- Spitfire - 05-03-2002

Hmmm.....then what was he smoking in his pipe? :fuggin:

- Luna - 05-03-2002

Quote:the patch worked but as soon as i was done wiht the 12 weeks of the patch. i was smoking 5 days later.. i now again, smoke 2 packs a day of marlboro menthols.

If I remember correctly, I think you are supposed to replace those "wanting to smoke-type" habits with other behaviours........kind of like behavior modification therapy.

Quitting smoking is really tough. They (doctors) say it is easier to kick a heroine habit than it is to quit smoking.

- Weird NJ - 05-03-2002

STOP IT! STOP! STOP REMINDING ME! I NEED IT! STOP IT!

- Danked - 05-03-2002

Quote:STOP IT! STOP! STOP REMINDING ME! I NEED IT! STOP IT!
Rolleyes So says Danked...

- Ken'sPen - 05-03-2002

Quote:the patch worked but as soon as i was done wiht the 12 weeks of the patch. i was smoking 5 days later

Arpi, table for one, in the Brokenjaw section.......

- Arpikarhu - 05-03-2002

Quote:Quote:

the patch worked but as soon as i was done wiht the 12 weeks of the patch. i was smoking 5 days later

Arpi, table for one, in the Brokenjaw section.......
i dont get it

- crx girl - 05-03-2002

Quote:Pack of cigs is up to what? $3.00 now?
:roflmao: try $5.80 and that's why i need to quit, just as soon as i use up all my free coupons...

- Hey Ladi - 05-03-2002

Holy Crap!! I'm annoyed to break over 4.80!! ...... somehow, $5 seems too much, until they go up again, then $6 will be too much.... and so it goes.

- PatCooper - 05-03-2002

I've been smoking for the last 15 years. I started when i was 14. I never really smoked alot. Maybe 8 to 10 aday. Now i'm down too 2 or three a day. I might even quit one day soon.