CDIH
What are you reading? - I'm sure some of you read - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: What are you reading? - I'm sure some of you read (/showthread.php?tid=457)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- Arthur Dent - 02-15-2002

Just finished "The Talisman" by Stephen King and Peter Straub. VERY good fantasy/horror story. You can really see Straub's influence since the story has a satisfying ending, unlike 8 out of 10 of King's novels. Looking forward to reading the sequel "Blackhouse".

- Skitchr4u - 02-15-2002

Quote:For those who can't figure out what they want to read next, can I suggest Clive Barker's Imajica

great f'ing book!! maybe i should go and reread it...thanks for the idea spit! looks, brains and power, what a combo!!

anyone read invisible monsters by palahnuik? wondering if it is worth the read...

- BeckyDC - 02-15-2002

Seize the Night by Dean Koontz

- Banana_juice - 02-15-2002

Quote:Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. He is the author of Fight Club and I think he shot his load in that one cuz Choke just fuckin sucks major donkey dick!

hey sean, I read choke a few weeks ago. I thought it was ok. not his greatest.. if you want to read a great book by him, that is very very weird, read "Invisible Monsters".. That was the book that he wrote right after fight club.

- Spitfire - 02-15-2002

Quote:Seize the Night by Dean Koontz
Good book! I heard he'll have another Moonlight Bay book out this year...Christopher Snow is a cool dude

- DreamWeaver - 02-15-2002

I'm halfway through One Door Away from Heaven..Koontz's new one....its not exactly holding my interest

- Arthur Dent - 02-15-2002

I don't know. Koontz and John Saul are just a little too formulaic.

John Saul especially. His books are all: intro character, really weird stuff happens to character, end by finding out the techno terror that's causing the weird stuff.

Edit - I've read four or five of Koontz's novels. His character developement is very good, but I've found his story arcs are almost identical. All good books, but by the last one I read, I was able to start anticipating what was going to happen based on his other books.

Edited By Arthur Dent on Feb. 15 2002 at 12:33

- BeckyDC - 02-15-2002

I've been readin Koontz for years..can't get away from him

- Spitfire - 02-15-2002

I definitely don't think Koontz is as formulaic as Saul...all of Saul's books do have exactly the same structure...but yet you have Koontz's books like Intensity or False Memory are pretty different than most thrillers I've evr read...

damn, I gotta read more new Stephen King, the last I read was Bag of Bones :0

- Gooch - 02-15-2002

I used to love Koontz...read all the oldies back in high school. Best was Twilight Eyes, which was published before "They Live" was made as a movie. Other good ones of his was Watchers and Phantoms. Problem is every novel of his mirror the same formula...which is why I don't read Clive Cussler anymore either. I'd like to see both of them break the patterns they lay out.

Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons is pretty wild.

- DreamWeaver - 02-15-2002

Intenisty I thought was a great book, I also really like Soul Survivor. But if I had to choose I would pick King over Koontz any day. The last one I read was the Ebook Riding the Bullet..not bad but before that was The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordan.....for a short book it definetly delivered. He still was able to keep it scary and suspensful. Was Geralds game the one with the chick who was banging her husband while she was handcuffed to the bed and he had a heart attack?? Incredible story.

He has a new one coming out in March...Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales

- SLASH - 02-15-2002

Quote:I definitely don't think Koontz is as formulaic as Saul

If you have something to say about me, you know where to find me :p<font color=white>

Edited By SLASH on Feb. 15 2002 at 1:16

- GonzoStyle - 02-15-2002

The Bureau and the Mole: The Unmasking of Robert Philip Hanssen, the Most Dangerous Double Agent in FBI History
- David A. Vise

So far an amazing book I am blown away. Robert Hanssen was a double agent selling top secret information to the russians for over 20 years. He was arrested early last year and the story telling is very gripping and the character himself almost seems fictional cause it's mind numbing to think he was this smart, even though he got caught eventually.

- Gooch - 02-15-2002

GonzoStyle Wrote:The Bureau and the Mole: The Unmasking of Robert Philip Hanssen, the Most Dangerous Double Agent in FBI History
- David A. Vise

So far an amazing book I am blown away. Robert Hanssen was a double agent selling top secret information to the russians for over 20 years. He was arrested early last year and the story telling is very gripping and the character himself almost seems fictional cause it's mind numbing to think he was this smart, even though he got caught eventually.
i remember watching a news special about it. It was absolutely fascinating. Sounds like something to put on my reading list.

- Buttmunch - 02-15-2002

Quote:Want to pick up DeMille's - Up Country
I'm about 3/4 done with this. It was a long start, not bad, but it takes a while to pick up the pace. If you want a review, speak to me in 2 days.

I just finished the latest W.E.B. Griffin Corps book. It was so uninspiring I can't remember the title.

I'm going to pick up the Millionaires by Brad Meltzer. It is supposed to be a great read that details how to steal large amounts of money. In an interview the author stated that the FBI and other law enforcement officials probably wouldn't have revealed the methods of master criminals if he had made his inquiries subsequent to 9-11-01.

I also read a short anthology of military fiction edited by Stephen Coonts, called Combat recently and the stories by David Hagberg and Larry Bond were pretty good.

- Sir O - 02-15-2002

I've been reading a lot of mythology lately. Greek, African, Indian, Asian, Celtic, etc...

Also just finished up Hooker by Lou Thesz. It's a very good read if you're a wrestling fan and interested in the history.

- fbd - 02-15-2002

Sir O Wrote:I've been reading a lot of mythology lately. Greek, African, Indian, Asian, Celtic, etc...
you might want to pick up some norse.in my opinion, they are second to greek in the most interesting myths to read.its a good thing to see a mythology who KNOWS the world is going to end, how it will end, and to have all their gods die

- IkeaBoy - 02-16-2002

the life and death of pretty boy floyd-

- Sean Cold - 02-16-2002

Quote:What are you reading?, I'm sure some of you read

Umm, this thread you silly bastard.

Yeah, I know, I suck! Confuseduicide: :amf:

- fbd - 02-16-2002

Sean Cold Wrote:
Quote:What are you reading?, I'm sure some of you read

Umm, this thread you silly bastard.
its too bad maynard beat you to the joke, not that it was that good to begin with