CDIH
MLB Awards - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: MLB Awards (/showthread.php?tid=9481)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Sir O - 10-11-2004

Well the Cy Young goes to the most outstanding pitcher, not necessarily the most valuable. If it did, I'd probably go with Schmidt or Oswalt or Clemens...

But it's all about semantics and one's interpretation of what the award means. I say for the MVP you need to look at context in addition to just straight numbers, that and when Barry Bonds is playing, no other names need be mentioned...

- Galt - 10-11-2004

The Hank Aaron award is for "best hitter"
The Cy Young award is for "best pitcher"
The MVP award is for "most valuable to their team"

That's why Bonds wins every year. Without him, they are a 60 win team.

- GonzoStyle - 10-11-2004

The hank aaron award is only 4 years old and is pish posh, you dont see the big debate on who is gonna win this yers hank aaron award. No one cares about the hank aaron award, its as coveted as the GMC player of the game award.

- GonzoStyle - 11-09-2004

Quote:Pittsburgh's Jason Bay and Oakland's Bobby Crosby were selected Monday as the AP's top rookies. Bay, who beat out San Diego's Khalil Greene, became the first Pirate and first native Canadian to win the award. Crosby, meanwhile, was one vote short of a unanimous choice in the AL.

so far I am 2 for 2.

- Bloody Anus - 11-09-2004

What an awful year for AL rookies. The only reason Crosby won was because there was virtually no competition. When was the last time a ROY had a BA < .240? NEVER. Canseco is the closest at an even .240 in 86, but at least he had 33/117. Had Morneau been called up earlier he'd have won, but I don't think he had enough AB's to qualify .

No way he'll win, but my NL CY vote woudl go to Jake Peavy. every single start was a quality start. He was hurt for a bit though and didn't have a lot of innings so will be lucky to get a vote or 2. Clemens will end up winnig it.

- Galt - 11-09-2004

Morneau qualified for this year; won't qualify for next.

Edited By Galt on 1100025720

- GonzoStyle - 11-09-2004

3 for 3!!

Quote:NEW YORK - Roger Clemens easily won his record seventh Cy Young Award after putting off retirement and being about as dominant as ever — even at age 42.

The Rocket received 23 of 32 first-place votes and 140 points in balloting released Tuesday by the Baseball Writers' Association of America to win the NL Cy Young for the first time after capturing six Cy Youngs in the American League.

He's the oldest Cy Young winner. Gaylord Perry was 40 when he won the NL honor in 1978.

Clemens retired after pitching for the New York Yankees (news) in the 2003 World Series (news - web sites), then changed his mind and signed with his hometown Houston Astros (news) and went 18-4 with a 2.98 ERA and 218 strikeouts. Currently in Japan with a touring major league all-star team, he said last week he hasn't decided whether he will pitch in 2005.

Arizona's 41-year-old Randy Johnson, second to Clemens with five Cy Youngs, finished second in the voting with eight first-place votes and 97 points. The Big Unit went 16-14 with a 2.60 ERA and a major league-leading 290 strikeouts — Arizona scored two runs or fewer in 17 of his 35 starts.

Houston's Roy Oswalt, who went 20-10 to lead the NL in wins, was third with 19 points, followed by San Francisco's Jason Schmidt with 13.

- GonzoStyle - 11-10-2004

Quote:NEW YORK (Sports Network) - Bobby Cox, who has guided the Atlanta Braves (news) to a record 13 straight division titles, has been named the 2004 National League Manager of the Year.

Buck Showalter, who had his Texas Rangers (news) in contention for the AL West title until the final week of the regular season, was adorned with a similar honor in the American League on Wednesday in voting from the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

Of the 32 ballots submitted by two writers in each NL city, Cox was named first on 22 and second on the other 10 to total 140 points. Tony La Russa, a four-time Manager of the Year who led the St. Louis Cardinals (news) to the NL Central title and the best record in the majors at 105-57, finished second in the voting with four first-place tallies and 62 points.

Showalter had 14 first-place votes and 101 total points to edge Ron Gardenhire, who led the Minnesota Twins (news) to the AL Central crown for a third straight year. Gardenhire had 11 first-place tallies and 91 points.

Make it 5 for 5 for me

and 0 for 5 for galt.

- drusilla - 11-11-2004

its like you have ESP

- GonzoStyle - 11-11-2004

drusilla Wrote:its like you have ESP
N!!

- Galt - 11-11-2004

0-5 that's bad.

But Clemens over RJ is just stupid. No way.
Crosby won because he played every day? It's not Morneau's fault that Minnesota was stupid and playing shit players for 1/3 of the year. Morneau is about a billion times better than Crosby and Morneau was batting cleanup and was pretty much Minnesota's only offense. Crosby was an afterthought.

Scoscia somehow found a way to patch his team together after nearly everyone on the team got hurt. He was amazing. Texas didn't have any injuries and Anaheim made the playoffs while Texas didn't do shit.

Stupid call.

- Keyser Soze - 11-11-2004

i think in that previous thread we had said that there should be a seperate award for best player statistically, while keeping mvp as player most valuable to his team.

- GonzoStyle - 11-11-2004

Santana now makes 6 for 6

and Galt picks one up!!! hes 1 for 6 now.

- The Jays - 11-11-2004

Gonzo, sell me stocks, please!!!

- Galt - 11-11-2004

Max Kellerman's response to Johan Santana winning the Cy Young? "Finally the stupid sportswriters get one right"

So I agree with Kellerman. You probably agree with Statboy.

- GonzoStyle - 11-16-2004

Quote:Anaheim Angels (news) rightfielder Vladimir Guerrero (news) capped off his first season in the American League by being named the Most Valuable Player.

Reuters Photo

AFP
Slideshow: Guerrero Voted AL MVP

Guerrero was listed first on 21 of the 28 ballots cast by two writers in each AL city. He garnered five second-place tallies, one third-place vote and a fourth for a total of 354 points in balloting released Tuesday from the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

New York Yankees (news) rightfielder Gary Sheffield (news) was second in the balloting with five first-place votes and 254 points. Boston's Manny Ramirez (news) (238) and David Ortiz (news) (174), finished third and fourth, respectively, with each player receiving one first-place vote.

This is only the second time an Angel has won the award. Don Baylor was named AL MVP in 1979.

That makes me 7 for 7 and with bonds pretty much a no brainer, i'm gonna be 8 for 8, good day.

- Keyser Soze - 11-16-2004

has kellerman addressed his brothers murder on his show?

- Galt - 11-16-2004

you don't get credit for Bonds since it already happened and you didn't even notice.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 11-16-2004

galt has a good point, since it was announced yesterday.

- GonzoStyle - 11-18-2004

8 for 8 then!!!