CDIH
Getting out of a ticket - Misspelled license plate. - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Getting out of a ticket - Misspelled license plate. (/showthread.php?tid=1327)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Hybrid - 05-08-2002

stop speeding

- The Sleeper - 05-08-2002

Here's an idea: tell the judge exactly what happened.

- Hybrid - 05-08-2002

or kill him

- Paper Boy - 05-09-2002

When you go to court I would speak to the cop before seeing the judge and tell him you are going to ask for all the maintenence records for that patrol car. You'll need these to try and determine if there was a problem with his car causing the speedometer to read a higher speed than his actual speed. Cops, just like everyone else, are basically lazy and he's not going to want to retrieve all those documents, he will try to offer you a good plea deal. If you feel it's a fair deal take it, if not wait for the documents and try to find something wrong with his car. Hope that made sense.

Or you can just get an atty. they deal with this shit everyday.

- Kid Afrika - 05-09-2002

Quote:When you go to court I would speak to the cop before seeing the judge and tell him you are going to ask for all the maintenence records for that patrol car. You'll need these to try and determine if there was a problem with his car causing the speedometer to read a higher speed than his actual speed. Cops, just like everyone else, are basically lazy and he's not going to want to retrieve all those documents, he will try to offer you a good plea deal. If you feel it's a fair deal take it, if not wait for the documents and try to find something wrong with his car. Hope that made sense.
Do some dumb shit like that, and you're sure to get hit with the biggest possible fine and the most points.

Whenever you go to municipal court, it's best to see the prosecutor first. Talk to him/her and see what your options are. Then, maybe you'll want to talk to the cop.

Once, I tried to talk to the cop that gave me a ticket on my bike. He popped me at about 130MPH. But, he didn't have me on radar. I didn't want to argue the ticket, but as soon as he saw me he was like "hell no!!!". Only after talking to the prosecutor did he come back, and I was able to explain. I wasn't trying to get out of the ticket, I just wanted to know the details and what we could do.

Ended up paying like $70 and got 2 points. Not bad considering that he could've impounded my bike, took my license and made me walk home.

- IkeaBoy - 05-09-2002

Kid, you're black, that's 4 points on your license already.

- Keyser Soze - 05-09-2002

I'm looking at a $225 fine and 4 points right now. I'd like to try and get off without any points, the money aspect up front doesnt bother me. I just don't want the points.

the most you can hope for is reducing it to 2 points. Unless you talk a good game when you go to court. They normally aren't concerned with the points, but 4 points to 0 points is tough.

I guess I can live with 2. I've done the song and dance with the prosecutor before. I was gonna roll the dice and actually try pleading Not Guilty this time, if nothing else but to experience it and see how it goes.

I would tell the prosecutor that you'll pay the fine but would like to get it reduced to 2 pts. They usally buy that, and you get out quickly.

I've only plead not guilty (without a pre-arranged deal) once, on a window tint ticket. I got out of it by telling the judge it was no different than wearing sunglasses. I also lied about how dark the tint was, but that kind of goes without saying.

I would imagine that arguing the validity of a ticket is risky. You either get off, or you get the maximum penalty. If you get a lawyer, you're out the money to pay them, either way.

Gotta go with the odds, IMHO.

- Paper Boy - 05-09-2002

Quote:Do some dumb shit like that, and you're sure to get hit with the biggest possible fine and the most points.

Whenever you go to municipal court, it's best to see the prosecutor first. Talk to him/her and see what your options are. Then, maybe you'll want to talk to the cop.

Once, I tried to talk to the cop that gave me a ticket on my bike. He popped me at about 130MPH. But, he didn't have me on radar. I didn't want to argue the ticket, but as soon as he saw me he was like "hell no!!!". Only after talking to the prosecutor did he come back, and I was able to explain. I wasn't trying to get out of the ticket, I just wanted to know the details and what we could do.

I've been getting most of my tickets from Troopers in upstate NY. There are no prosecuters involved, it's just you, the trooper and the judge. In every case, I have spoken with the trooper right before court started and we worked out some type of deal. I guess in Jersey it is different.

I thought the reason they didn't like tinted windows is that its easier to conceal things inside the car, such as drugs or a weapon, not that it impedes the drivers visability.

there's no law against hiding things in your car. It's about visibility as far as logisitics go. sure, that's the reason they hate it. but, there's really no law against tinting your windows. it's a stretch, really. the statue I was charged with referred to impared visibility. I said, "it's optical grade window film". The only ticket they can really hit you with for window tint is altering a vehicle after inspection.

- Sweet Angel - 05-09-2002

I've always heard that if the cop doesn't show up in court, you're pretty much off the hook. Since I've never been in the situation, I wouldn't know. Is that accurate?

that's a total fallacy. They will call the cop in off of the road, or postpone if need be.

- onehung - 05-09-2002

Quote:that's a total fallacy. They will call the cop in off of the road, or postpone if need be.
Ahh,Tis True. I've gotten out of 2 tickets by the cop not showing up for court. No cop = lack of evidence =case dismissed= A happy speeder.

A buck 30 on a bike, Thats fucking cruising man. What kind of bike was it?

kawasaki zx-7r

Maybe the whole no cop thing is different for white people. ;-)

- Sweet Angel - 05-09-2002

Maybe it depends whether it's a municipal cop or a trooper?

- DGW - 05-09-2002

I think you're being profiled.

- Skitchr4u - 05-09-2002

Keyser, you were paced...no amount of paperwork about his car will get you off...take K1d's advice and plea with the prosecutor...is your only hope