CDIH
The good pre-Godfather movies on TV thread - For Galt, and anyone else - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: The good pre-Godfather movies on TV thread - For Galt, and anyone else (/showthread.php?tid=10161)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- The Sleeper - 05-16-2005

12 angry men is on at 11:30 tonight on TMC. if you don't watch it you're a moron

- Galt - 05-16-2005

seen it.

- Goatweed - 05-17-2005

excellent movie.

- fbd - 05-17-2005

i watched that in one of my classes senior year...truly an amazing work

- GonzoStyle - 05-17-2005

12 angry men is def in my top 10 all time, it's an amazing accomplishment for so many reasons but the main one is that it keeps you enthralled even though all but a few minutes of the film take place in one single room.

- The Sleeper - 05-17-2005

Lee J Cobb is so awesome

- GonzoStyle - 05-17-2005

even jack klugman showed promise and he achived it with "the odd couple"

- The Sleeper - 06-12-2005

I just watched The Big Sleep. man this was a confusing movie. there was an interesting documentary afterwards though about how they changed around the whole movie a year after it was originally shot to highlight the Bogart/Bacall romance, while cutting scenes that made the plot more comprehensible. so basically they admitted that the plot didn't really matter and it was all just the vehicle for Bogart and Bacall to talk to each other in double entendres.

- Galt - 06-12-2005

The Sleeper Wrote:... the vehicle for Bogart and Bacall to talk to each other in double entendres.
God, that was one of the things I hated about Double Indemnity

- Arpikarhu - 06-12-2005

are you calling sleeper "god", or using it as a girlish exclamatory?

- diceisgod - 06-12-2005

Galt and Sleeper do have a disturbing relationship

- The Jays - 06-12-2005

I've always enjoyed Rebel Without a Cause.

- Arpikarhu - 06-13-2005

what a surprise! a poorly written film about teen angst. right in your wheelhouse.

- GonzoStyle - 06-14-2005

what a surprise, arpi acting like an asshole.

- GonzoStyle - 06-14-2005

Big Sleep isn't confusing as much as it just makes little to no sense, much like mullholand drive (I hate that fuckin movie). It's one of my least favorite Bogart films, I did watch In A Lonely Place over the weekend, amazing film.

- Galt - 09-26-2005

I taped Citizen Kane the other day and started watching it (home sick). I'm only 25 minutes into it, so I obviously can't give an opinion on it.

But this is supposed to be the best movie ever. Why could nobody act? Why did everyone in every old movie speak in this weird cadence that's just too fast for actual humans? Wells wasn't that bad compared to everyone else. But it's like they try and fit 80 seconds of dialogue into a minute.

It's so annoying.

- The Jays - 09-27-2005

I concur with Galt on this one. I hate the way they talk in the early movies, at least in silent movies you really had to be able to act in order to convey the emotion. But then sound comes along, and you got all these herbs trying to talk like fucking 1930s gangsters.

- Galt - 09-27-2005

It's the #1 reason why I can't stand old movies. And there really isn't a #2 reason. I just can't get past it (and I never finished Kane. I got distracted. I'll finish it.

I'm sure it's a good movie, but the cadence just drives me up a wall.

- Galt - 09-27-2005

AMC showed Opportunity Knocks and Naked Gun 2 1/2 this weekend. Does it not stand for American Movie Classics?

Now, they also showed Tommy Boy and Fletch, so that's good.

- The Jays - 09-27-2005

Ever since AMC started showing commercials, they went down hill.