CDIH
What are you reading? - I'm sure some of you read - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: What are you reading? - I'm sure some of you read (/showthread.php?tid=457)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- Spitfire - 04-04-2002

weird....Imajica is one of my favorite books ever. Skip to pg 150, when they enter the other Dominions and the story picks up...

I never read Thief of Always...is that good? I love the fantasy world's Barbker creates, and makes you imagine that they are actually possible.

- GonzoStyle - 04-05-2002

Spit definetly read fight club first if you read palachunik, up next for me is the MOtley Crue bio. After that I was thinking of re-reading Stranger in a strange land for some reason.

- IkeaBoy - 04-05-2002

that reminds me, with 'Stranger' done, I need to find something else to read. I might gaze at Lolita again.

- Arthur Dent - 04-05-2002

Spit, they're thinking of making Thief of Always into a CGI film. If they do it PG-13, it could be a really good flick. ToA reminds me of the old, un-edited Grimm Fairtales. You know, the ones where the woodsman chops open the wolf and granny pops out, or the one wicked step-sister cuts off the heel of her foot to fit it in the glass slipper, but gets caught when the prince sees the blood leaking out?

ToA is a really good story with a surprise ending. Definitely check it out. And I'll give Imajica another try.

- crx girl - 04-06-2002

i'm reading dreamcatcher right now. i'm not even half way through yet and it seems all the main characters are dead or dying. i just haven't been mass transitting enough to read lately though, it's taking me a long time to read Rolleyes

- kindred - 04-06-2002

Quote:i'm reading dreamcatcher right now. i'm not even half way through yet and it seems all the main characters are dead or dying

Keep with it. It was a pretty good story and I didn't feel like I wasted my time when I was done with it.

I just finished The Painted House by John Grishem. It's not the typical legal thriller that I got bored with in the past. This book gives you a glimpse into the life of a cotton farmer in the 1950's in Arkansas. It's told from the perspective of a 7 year old boy, his innocence combined with his lust for life makes for a great story.

- Arthur Dent - 04-08-2002

I'm reading the graphic novel "From hell" that the movie was based on. The movie was a MAJOR rewrite. I'm a quarter of the way in and they haven't introduced Johnny Depp's character yet. A lot of major differences. Pretty good though.

Edit- Gotta correct myself. I finished Book 8 of New Jedi Order. Didn't know they were up to book 14 already.

Edited By Arthur Dent on April 08 2002 at 04:56

- Skitchr4u - 04-08-2002

hey dent, i want to read the star wars books, but really don't know where to begin...can you help a guy out? what is a good starting off point? does anything tell teh story of pre-"NEW HOPE" or is it all post jedi?

- Arthur Dent - 04-09-2002

Quote:hey dent, i want to read the star wars books, but really don't know where to begin...can you help a guy out? what is a good starting off point? does anything tell teh story of pre-"NEW HOPE" or is it all post jedi?

I know I answered this somewhere else, but I'll post it again.

First, there are two pre-Phatom Menace stories and two that take place between PTM and the new movie. One is all about Darth Maul. Really mediocre stuff that's just cashing in on the hype. Only read them because I got them free from the LIBRARY.

For even earlier, there are the Dark Horse Comics graphic novels of the Tales of the Jedi and the Sith Wars. That's over a thousand years before the movies. Some very cool stuff, like jedi's with wierd lightsabers and stuff. And good stories.

As for a complete chronology:

Title---Time Before or after ANH in years--Format---Release Year---Author

Star Wars: The Golden Age of the Sith -5000a Comic 1996 Kevin J. Anderson
Star Wars: The Fall of the Sith Empire -5000b Comic 1996 Kevin J. Anderson
Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi -4020 Comic 1995 Tom Veitch
Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi: The Freedon Nadd Uprising -4019.5 Comic 1995 Tom Veitch
Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith -4019 Comic 1995 Tom Veitch and Kevin Anderson
Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War -4018 Comic 1995 Kevin J. Anderson
The Paradise Snare -10 Novel 1997 A.C. Crispin
The Hutt Gambit -5 Novel 1997 A.C. Crispin
Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu -4 Novel 1983 L. Neil Smith
Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon -4 Novel 1983 L. Neil Smith
Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of Thonboka -4 Novel 1983 L. Neil Smith
Han Solo at Star's End -2 Novel 1979 Brian Daly
Han Solo's Revenge -2 Novel 1979 Brian Daly
Han Solo and the Lost Legacy -2 Novel 1979 Brian Daly
Rebel Dawn -3 to 0 Novel 1998 A.C. Crispin
Star Wars: Droids -5 to 0 Comic 1994 Dave Manak
Ewoks -5 to 0 Comic 1985 Dave Manak
Star Wars: Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina -1 to 0 Anthology 1995 Edited by Kevin Anderson
The Farlander Papers -1 to 0 Novella ?? ??
Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope 0a Movie 1977 George Lucas
Star Wars: Boba Fett: Bounty on Bar-Kooda 0b Comic 1995 John Wagner
Star Wars: Tales from Mos Eisley 1 Comic ?? ??
Star Wars: Splinter of the Mind's Eye 2 Novel 1978 Alan Dean Foster
Star Wars: River of Chaos 2 Comic 1995 ??
Star Wars: Tales of the Bounty Hunters 0 to 3 Anthology 1996 Edited by Kevin Anderson
The Stele Chronicles 2 to 3 Novella 1994 ??
Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back 3 Movie 1980 George Lucas, Lawrence Kasden, Leigh Brackett
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire 3.25 Novel 1996 Steve Perry
Star Wars: Jabba the Hutt: The Gaar Suppoon Hit 3.4a Comic 1995 ??
Star Wars: Jabba the Hutt: The Hunger of Princess Nampi 3.4b Comic 1995 ??
Star Wars: Jabba the Hutt: The Dynasty Trap 3.4c Comic 1995 ??
Star Wars: X-Wing: Rogue Squadron 3.5 to 6 Comic 1995 Michael Stackpole/??
Classic Star Wars: The Vandelhelm Mission 3.7 Comic 1995 ??
The Ewok Adventure 3.8 TV Movie ?? Bob Carrau, George Lucas
Ewoks: The Battle For Endor 3.8a TV Movie ?? Ken and Jim Wheat, George Lucas
Star Wars: Tales From Jabba's Palace -1 to 4 Anthology 1995 Edited by Kevin Anderson
Star Wars: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi 4.0 Movie 1983 George Lucas, Lawrence Kasden
Star Wars: Truce at Bakura 4.8 Novel 1994 Kathy Tiers
Star Wars: X-Wing: Rogue Squadron 7a Novel 1996 Michael Stackpole
Star Wars: X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble 7b Novel 1996 Michael Stackpole
Star Wars: X-Wing: The Krytos Trap 7c Novel 1996 Michael Stackpole
Star Wars: X-Wing: Rogues Grounded 7d Novel 1996 Michael Stackpole
Star Wars: X-Wing: Rogues Unbound 7e Novel 1996 Michael Stackpole
Star Wars: The Courtship of Princess Leia 8 Novel 1994 Dave Wolverton
Star Wars: Heir to the Empire 9 Novel 1991 Timothy Zahn
Star Wars: Lightsider 9.5 Comic 1995 ??
Star Wars: Dark Force Rising 9.6a Novel 1992 Timothy Zahn
Star Wars: The Last Command 9.6b Novel 1993 Timothy Zahn
Star Wars: Dark Empire 10a Comic 1995 Tom Veitch, Kam Kennedy
Star Wars: Dark Empire II 10b Comic 1995 Tom Veitch, Kam Kennedy
Star Wars: Empire's End 10.5 Comic 1995 ??
Star Wars: Jedi Academy Trilogy: Jedi Search 11a Novel 1994 Kevin Anderson
Star Wars: Jedi Academy Trilogy: Dark Apprentice 11b Novel 1994 Kevin Anderson
Star Wars: Jedi Academy Trilogy: Champions of the Force 11c Novel 1994 Kevin Anderson
Star Wars: Children of the Jedi 12.5 Novel 1995 Barbara Hambly
Star Wars: Darksaber 13 Novel 1995 Kevin Anderson
Star Wars: The Crystal Star 14 Novel 1994 Vonda McIntyre
Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis: Before the Storm 16a Novel 1996 Michael Kube-McDowell
Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis: Shield of Lies 16b Novel 1996 Michael Kube-McDowell
Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis: Tyrant's Test 16c Novel 1996 Michael Kube-McDowell
Star Wars: The New Rebellion 17 Novel 1996 Kristine k. Rusch
Star Wars: Ambush at Corellia 18a Novel 1995 Roger MacBride Allen
Star Wars: Assaunt at Selonia 18b Novel 1995 Roger MacBride Allen
Star Wars: Showdown at Centerpoint 18c Novel 1995 Roger MacBride Allen
Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights: The Golden Globe 22 Novel 1995 Nancy Richardson
Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights: Heirs of the Force 25a Novel 1995 Kevin Anderson, Rebecca Moesta
Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights: Shadow Academy 25b Novel 1995 Kevin Anderson, Rebecca Moesta
Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights: The Lost Ones 25c Novel 1995 Kevin Anderson, Rebecca Moesta
Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights: Lightsabers 25d Novel 1996 Kevin Anderson, Rebecca Moesta
Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights: Darkest Knight 25e Novel 1996 Kevin Anderson, Rebecca Moesta
Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights: Jedi Under Seige 25f Novel 1996 Kevin Anderson, Rebecca Moesta
Star Wars: Episode VII [Untitled] ?? Movie 2005 George Lucas
Star Wars: Episode VIII [Untitled] ?? Movie 2006 George Lucas
Star Wars: Episode IX [Untitled] ?? Movie 2007 George Lucas

I got this from a website: Chronology: Everything before the New Jedi Order Series

If you get through most of that, then there's the New Jedi Order Series. You can a list of those off of amazon.com very easily.

Edited By Arthur Dent on April 09 2002 at 04:26

- JIMMYSNUKA - 04-09-2002

Just finished The Infinite by Douglas Clegg. Creepy book. Very slow until the last 50 or so pages but its worth it.

- Hummercash - 04-09-2002

just finished reading LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring and before that I read The Hobbit. I just started reading LOTR: The Two Towers last night after seeing LOTR for $3 at some little 2 screen local theater... and as usual, the book was better than the movie.

- Skitchr4u - 04-09-2002

mr dent sir, you are my hero. :hail: i now have a mission in life, and must take the rest of the year off of work.

Edited By Skitchr4u on April 10 2002 at 11:12

- Arthur Dent - 04-10-2002

Quote:just finished reading LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring and before that I read The Hobbit. I just started reading LOTR: The Two Towers last night after seeing LOTR for $3 at some little 2 screen local theater... and as usual, the book was better than the movie.

The book is ALWAYS better than the movie.

Was I the only one who wished they'd made the Hobbit FIRST and then made the trilogy? That flashback to Bilbo and Gollum made me want to see the Hobbit made. Maybe they'll do it as a Prequel.

Skitch, good luck. If I were you though, I'd start with the Timothy Zahn Trilogy first. It's hands down the best out of them all. And you don't need to read any of the others to get into the story.

- crx girl - 04-10-2002

i would love to see the hobbit made into a real decent movie first. i think when i finally get done with dreamcatcher i'm gonna reread my middle earth books. somewhere i think i have a tom bombadil book, or i may be crazy, but yeah, i meant to read them before the movie came out, cos it's been probably 15 years since i read them, but hopefully i'll get through it again before the towers comes out. thing is, i've just gotten so damn lazy with my reading lately, if i didn't have to go somewhere via public transportation i'd never read at all. Rolleyes oh, but after that, something i've been meaning to read for years is the hitchikers guide. my parents are big fans and i'm like weird and i respect their tastes and stuff, so yeah, that's probably next, i'll try to keep y'all updated on my progress, cos i know you really care... :bouncer:

- Skitchr4u - 04-10-2002

currently reading dark force rising, after finishing heir to the empire. i wish i had read them earlier they are that good. next i want to search out the pre-episode one comics...off to the store i go...:bouncer:

- Keyser Soze - 04-10-2002

I'm reading "The Dirt" right now, the Motley Crue autobio. Between that, reading sections of "The Chomsky Reader" I flipped thru previously.

- NaughtyAngel - 04-10-2002

i just finished reading american psycho
DGW's brother suggested a book i should read im going to read that next

- Spitfire - 04-10-2002

wedding magazines that are depressing the shit out of me, contains everything I like that I can never afford... :disappointed:

I still have to get to reading the "The Dirt", it might be next on my list
Yesterday, I bought Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins and Galilee by Clive Barker

- Arthur Dent - 04-10-2002

Quote:next i want to search out the pre-episode one comics...
Their pretty easy to find in any comic shop. Virgin Megastore also carries them.

The only ones I read where the "Dark Empire" series. They're expensive too. $18-$25 each. Try Amazon for used ones in good condition.

SPOILER
All about how Luke falls to the Dark Side and serves the Emperor's Clone. Awesome story.
End SPOILER

- Buttmunch - 04-10-2002

I'm reading Mystic River by Dennis Lehane. It is quite a departure from his previous work, in that it is almost [gasp] literature. I loved his first 5 books which had recurring characters. Some people describe him as the next Robert B. Parker, which is fair, except that his books are more in depth concerning his characters. If anyone is interested in a "literary murder mystery" that really nails blue-collar boston life, pick this one up.