CDIH
What are you reading? - I'm sure some of you read - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: What are you reading? - I'm sure some of you read (/showthread.php?tid=457)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- Arpikarhu - 04-15-2002

Quote:I just completed The True Art of Healing (original title-The Unlimited Power of Prayer and Visualization by Isreal Regardi (edited by Marc Allen)-- I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to start meditating, it's concise and easy to read...I'm just starting the meditation, so I'll tell you how well it works...

I'm also a couple pages through another Tom Robbins, Skinny Legs and All
go hug a tree you hippy freak

- Luna - 04-15-2002

Quote:I just completed The True Art of Healing (original title-The Unlimited Power of Prayer and Visualization by Isreal Regardi (edited by Marc Allen)-- I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to start meditating, it's concise and easy to read...I'm just starting the meditation, so I'll tell you how well it works...

Spit, you may want to look into some of the works of Shakti Gawain. She's wonderful for meditating and other 'instinct' guidance. Also, a very fun, easy read.

- Spitfire - 04-15-2002

Thanks Luna...I'll definitely check her out...I want to read more of Regardi's work like The Tree of Life, he was an amazing writer

and :fuckoff: Mr. Unenlightened :fuckoff:

- Sean Cold - 04-17-2002

I left my Clancey book at the office for a week so I read Corruption Of Blood by Robert K. Tanenbaum. I usualy enjoy his novels when they are based in late 70's New York City, but, this one was the lead character solving the JFK assassination. It just fucked up the whole point of the guys books IMO.

- Kim - 04-17-2002

I'm reading Lucky Man - Michael J. Fox

- JIMMYSNUKA - 04-24-2002

Im reading The Travelling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon.

This book fucking rocks!! One of the best I have read in a while!

- kindred - 04-24-2002

I'm reading River God by Wilbur Smith. It's set in Ancient Egypt and so far a very good read, as all of Wilbur Smith's books are... Confusedeph:

- The Painter - 04-24-2002

I just finished reading Driving Mr. Albert. It's about 2 guys driving across country with Einstein's brain in the trunk of their car. They were on a mission. It seemed to have alot of potential to be off beat and good, but I found it disappointing. It didn't get interesting until the last 30 pages or so. My advice; skip it.

- Skitchr4u - 04-25-2002

Mein Kampf

EDIT - HOLY SHIT WHAT A BORE FEST THIS IS!!! I read like 3 pages and have to take a walk to wake myself back up...i sure hope this picks up soon, cause i don't want it to take me 6 months to read it!!

Edited By Skitchr4u on April 29 2002 at 12:54

- Sean Cold - 04-29-2002

I am finishing off Star Wars: Black Fleet Trilogy. Out of the four post Return Of The Jedi Trilogies I have read, this one is the fuckin worst. Book 2: Shield of Lies was absolute shit. They broke up the book in three parts following the three different stories involved in the whole cluster fuck and it just lamed the whole thing out.

- Arthur Dent - 04-29-2002

Quote:. Book 2: Shield of Lies was absolute shit.

It was a real dissapointment. I liked the concept of the political infighting and propoganda tactics, but the execution was crap. And the anti-everybody philosophy of the aliens has been done before and better by other writers. I think the only importance that carried over into the later books is the rise and fall from power of certain politicians in the Republic.

Still reading the New Jedi Order series. It's got good and bad points. What I don't like is that just about every book in the series is written by a different author, so there's no consistency of style. Some are really well written, others read like the authors first professional attempt at a novel. But the story is good and SOMEBODY is dictating a consistent and entertaining arc.

It's like one author came up with this whole story arc, wrote an outline, then gave the different "chapters" to his friends to keep them employed. It would be a better story if it was all from one author.

When I'm done, I'm going to get the box set of The Hobbit and LOTR trilogy and re-read them for the first time in ten years.

- crx girl - 04-29-2002

i'm still reading um, shit i forgot what it's called, but you can go ahead and look back a couple of pages, it's really good, the other night i totally missed my subway stop because of it wow i suckConfuseduicide: but it's over 800 pages dude

- Spitfire - 04-29-2002

had to go buy another Tom Robbins, so I got Still Life with Woodpecker for the plane ride...Skinny Legs and All was the best so far, I highly recommend everyone read it, you'll learn something new about yourself and the world, plus a little bit of the history of the Middle East and Jerusalem and why it's such a warzone now, like it always has been...

Edited By Spitfire on April 29 2002 at 10:15

- Hey Ladi - 04-29-2002

Lord of the Rings, the 1000 pg variety (not split into smaller books) the thing is a brick!

- crx girl - 04-29-2002

Quote:so I got Still Life with Woodpecker for the plane ride...Skinny Legs and All was the best so far, I highly recommend everyone read it, you'll learn something new about yourself and the world, plus a little bit of the history of the Middle East and Jerusalem and why it's such a warzone now, like it always has been...
yes, woodpecker is most probably definitely gonna be the next book i get, i was just talking about him the other day and it was highly reccommended. i think jitterbug perfume was my favourite of the ones i've read.

- Hey Ladi - 04-29-2002

I liked Half Asleep in Frog's Pajama's best, then JitterBug Perfume..... Couldn't get into Even Cowgirls get the Blues, and I might have started another & not finished. I'll have to look for those other two. :thumbs-up:

- Spitfire - 04-29-2002

Quote:i think jitterbug perfume was my favourite of the ones i've read.
Good! I bought that one too...he's become my favorite author ever...each sentence is a masterpiece. I read an interview with someone who wrote a screenplay with him, and he told of how Robbins writes a novel. He begins with one sentence, rewrites that sentence, rewrites it again until it's perfect. Then he puts a period at the end, and starts with the next sentence, never really knowing where each one will lead him. How to Write Liek Tom Robbins

- Danked - 04-29-2002

I remember how almost any "What Are You Reading Now?" threads on OA.com would eventually evolve into a Tom Robbins discussion. I highely recommend the newest one, Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates. Delves into the prophecies of the Fatima and it's an incredible read. I loaned it out to a friend and haven't gotten it back yet. It's drives me nuts that whenever I go over to her house, the book hasn't moved from the stack on her mantle yet.

Right now, I'm rereading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I'm very disappointed in myself that I didn't get through it when I tried reading it in high school.

Up next, I've got Conversation With The Dead by David Gans. Mostly interviews with the band. And after that, a study of Kerouac's writing. I can't wait for that one.

- crx girl - 04-29-2002

my problem lately with books is buying them, the fundage is kinda limited and to get them from the library would probably cost twice as much at this point {:o}

- Hey Ladi - 04-29-2002

Why? Isn't the library free? Or were you gonna take their books, and wait for the bill?