CDIH
Goodbye - Reggie Miller - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Goodbye - Reggie Miller (/showthread.php?tid=10061)

- The Jays - 02-11-2005

Quote:Reggie Miller of the Indiana Pacers will retire at the end of this season, his sister, Cheryl, reported Thursday night on TNT.

"Over the last couple of weeks there has been a lot of speculation on whether or not this will be Reggie Miller's last season," Cheryl Miller said. "Yesterday I spoke to Reggie, and after 18 seasons with the Indiana Pacers, this will definitely be his last season."

Miller, 39, has been one of the league's best outside shooters during a career that has included five All-Star appearances, 131 playoff games and a trip to the NBA Finals. He helped transform the Pacers from one of the NBA's worst teams into one of its most consistent.

The Indianapolis Star reported in Friday's editions Miller informed Pacers coach Rick Carlisle of his decision early Thursday evening.

"It's not a shock," Carlisle told the paper. "I guess it's a sobering dose of reality that this is the last season to see one of the game's greatest players."

Pacers chief executive Donnie Walsh said Friday that he had not yet talked with Miller about his decision but that he "knew the day was coming."

"He was a constant threat on many very good teams," Walsh told The Associated Press. "On top of that, he was a thorough professional both on and off the court. If in fact this is his last season, I will miss him."

Miller is Indiana's all-time leader in scoring, assists, steals and several other categories, and ranks 14th on the NBA's all-time scoring list. He holds NBA records for most 3-pointers made (2,505) and attempted (6,321).

"Reggie said that it has been a great run, feels very positive with where the organization and the team is headed," Cheryl Miller said during TNT's broadcast of the Lakers-Pistons game. "He said the one thing that he can look back on in his career, barring the ugly situation in November here at Detroit; he says he has a lot of great memories."

Two weeks ago, Miller angrily shot down another TNT reporter's story that Miller had informed his teammates of his plans to retire. Miller said if he were to make such an announcement, he'd break the news through his older sister.

Carlisle told the Star he didn't think Miller's announcement would be a distraction to the team.

"I view it as an important event," Carlisle said. "I think it's something that has been taken very seriously. This is the last opportunity to be with Reggie, who is one of the greatest players. This is also a last opportunity for the fans to see one of the greatest players. This is going to bring extra meaning to our remaining games this season."

Since 1990, the Pacers have made the playoffs all but one year and have reached the Eastern Conference playoffs six times. Miller is averaging 11.9 points as the starting shooting guard for the Pacers, who play Friday night at home against Houston.

"Reggie said, 'It has been a great run, a lot of wonderful memories,' and the one thing he can really be proud of is that he finished his career with one team -- something we don't see a lot of in sports today," Cheryl Miller said.

Detroit Pistons coach Larry Brown, who coached Miller for four seasons in the mid-1990s, called him "the best shooter I've ever been around."

"If you needed one guy to make an outside shot, I don't know if you could find anybody better," Brown said Thursday night. "He's going to be missed."

Miller's NBA career began with a cascade of boos when Walsh selected him with the 11th pick in the 1987 draft out of UCLA. Fans wanted Steve Alford, who had just led Indiana to the NCAA championship.

"I was pretty confident that we had done the right thing," Walsh said Friday. "He turned out to be a great player."

Miller burst into national prominence in 1994 when he scored 25 fourth-quarter points in an Eastern Conference finals victory over the New York Knicks while trading words with Spike Lee as the movie director sat courtside.

A year later against the Knicks, he hit two 3-pointers while scoring eight points in the final 8.9 seconds for a 107-105 playoff win in Madison Square Garden.

Miller averaged at least 18 points a game for 12 consecutive seasons through 2000-01. He has been praised by teammates and coaches for allowing others -- notably Jermaine O'Neal -- to take a more prominent role.

- Ronin - 02-11-2005

And Malone

Quote:Jazz: Malone to announce retirement Sunday

February 11, 2005
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Karl Malone is retiring, ending a career in which he became one of the NBA's greatest power forwards and was No. 2 on the league's all-time scoring list.

Malone, who teamed with guard John Stockton for 18 seasons with Utah to form one of the NBA's greatest duos, will announce his retirement Sunday at the Delta Center, the Jazz said Friday.

The 41-year-old Malone underwent knee surgery last summer and has not played since last season with the Los Angeles Lakers. He joined the Lakers at a greatly reduced salary before last season in an attempt to win an elusive NBA championship by playing with Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant. Detroit beat Los Angeles in the NBA Finals in five games.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Jazz had no comment Friday on the decision by Malone, whose agent said last week it was possible Malone might return to action with San Antonio.

The Lakers were not surprised.

``We've had one year with him and everyone in the organization, from the front office staff, fellow players, coaches, everyone really enjoyed having Karl around for that year,'' Lakers spokesman John Black said. ``He was a real addition to our team last year in helping us get to the NBA playoffs.''

Malone finishes his career 1,459 points behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar on the NBA's career scoring list.

Last season, he missed 39 games after injuring his right knee, and was hurt again during the playoffs, missing the last three games of the NBA Finals.

Malone opted out of his $1.65 million contract following last season, making him a free agent. He and his family live in nearby Newport Beach, Calif. They also have a home in Salt Lake City.

His agent, Dwight Manley, said in October that his client wasn't ready to play, but if he returned, it would only be with the Lakers.

That changed late last year after Malone was accused by Kobe Bryant of making a pass at Bryant's wife. Malone, through Manley, denied the accusation and apologized to Bryant and his wife for any remarks she might have considered inappropriate.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 02-11-2005

...and john crotty.

- faceman802 - 02-11-2005

I think all the Knicks retired to start the new year

- fbd - 02-11-2005

i still hate reggie miller

- Keyser Soze - 02-11-2005

faceman finally made me laugh

- IrishAlkey - 02-12-2005

Soda Popinski!

- TheGMANN - 02-12-2005

Quote:A year later against the Knicks, he hit two 3-pointers while scoring eight points in the final 8.9 seconds for a 107-105 playoff win in Madison Square Garden.

I was there. It still haunts me to this day. Fuck him!

- The Sleeper - 02-12-2005

still the most incredible 8.9 seconds i've ever seen

- Black Lazerus - 02-12-2005

maybe he's retiring to get his teeth fixed.

- diceisgod - 02-12-2005

He's going to the Lakers for one more run!

- The Sleeper - 02-12-2005

I almost dry heaved when i read that malone was considering signing with the spurs. thank god he left with some dignity

- The Jays - 02-12-2005

I wish the Knicks could get either Miller of Malone and have Allan Houston retire instead.

- Tequila - 02-14-2005

I am still waiting for Diceisgod to retire :p Big Grin