CDIH
making some major changes today. - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: making some major changes today. (/showthread.php?tid=10451)

- Arpikarhu - 07-19-2005

first i ordered vonage. fuck verizon! i will update you next week after the equipment arrives and i get to check out the quality of the service.

second, i have someone coming over to look at supplying a solar power system to the house. new jersey offers the best rebates of any of the 50 states. they will pay for 75% of the cost of equipment and installation. i figure with the rebate my cost will be about 3k. that is incredibly cheap!
also jersey has a law that any excess electricity i produce the power company has to buy back from me. after calculating my current elec usage and cost, we determined that i would end up with a $37 dollar profit on average each month. add that to the amount i wont be paying to pse&g and the system will have paid for itself in less than 30 months. after that its free electricity and profit.

oh, and the whole environment, green party, hippy thing.

- Goatweed - 07-19-2005

that solar energy package sounds like a really sweet deal. where did you find information on it? I wonder if NYC has anything information-wise regarding it.

VoIP sounds like a really nice thing, until a blackout hits - then you lose your phone. I know they dont happen all the time, but when the last one hit my landline never saw so much action. Yeah, I had a cell phone but the battery eventually runs out - and faster with excess usage (for example, during a blackout).

I think that VoIP will force these telco's to ease up on rates - I hope they do, anyway.

- Arpikarhu - 07-19-2005

in the year that i have been here i have had 2 losses of power, none longer than 45 minutes so i dont think it will be a problem.

- Goatweed - 07-19-2005

I'm just paranoid I guess - with my luck the day I switch is the day we'll lose power for like a week.

- Sir O - 07-19-2005

But if your house is solar powered, do you even need to worry about a blackout?

- Goatweed - 07-19-2005

good point - I need more information regarding a solar power solution.

- Arpikarhu - 07-19-2005

i would be self reliant for a short period depending on my storage capacity. with the system i am putting in, i will remain on the grid in order to ensure electricity shoudl there a be a failure in the solar sytem and so that my usage can be calculated by pse&g for my refund.

or actually ese&g as they will be known after the merger.

- Mad - 07-19-2005

If you have a battery bank and a cut off switch from the grid you'd be fine in a blackout. They also have LP/propane generators that will kick on if no juice is coming from the main line.

Three grand is nothing to invest in it, considering it's about ten grand for a kilowatt of independence. If everyone have similar setups on their homes we wouldn't have to invade oil rich regions...

- Arpikarhu - 07-19-2005

soon i will start my exit from the grid and my descent into the paranoid madness that is Mad's world. BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

- Mad - 07-19-2005

What are you going to do when there is a blackout and your house is the only one with electric?

- Black Lazerus - 07-19-2005

I work for Vonage you go arpi

- Black Lazerus - 07-19-2005

Goatweed Wrote:that solar energy package sounds like a really sweet deal. where did you find information on it? I wonder if NYC has anything information-wise regarding it.

VoIP sounds like a really nice thing, until a blackout hits - then you lose your phone. I know they dont happen all the time, but when the last one hit my landline never saw so much action. Yeah, I had a cell phone but the battery eventually runs out - and faster with excess usage (for example, during a blackout).

I think that VoIP will force these telco's to ease up on rates - I hope they do, anyway.
in case of power outage you can set up your VOIP line to forward to your cell phone

- Arpikarhu - 07-20-2005

Mad Wrote:What are you going to do when there is a blackout and your house is the only one with electric?
stand on my lawn with my lights ablaze and mock the neighbors.
you expected something else?

- GonzoStyle - 07-20-2005

I've had Voip for over a year, now we can spend days on the phone whispering sweet nothings to eachother for one low monthly cost!!!

- Mad - 07-20-2005

Arpikarhu Wrote:
Mad Wrote:What are you going to do when there is a blackout and your house is the only one with electric?
Yes, you jamming with your Axe and swooning middle aged gals with floppy tits all about.

- Arpikarhu - 07-20-2005

Mad Wrote:
Arpikarhu Wrote:
Yes, you jamming with your Axe and swooning middle aged gals with floppy tits all about.
that is a capital idea! maybe zootybang can swing by to show me some of his poseur moves.

- Arpikarhu - 07-20-2005

Gonzo Wrote:I've had Voip for over a year, now we can spend days on the phone whispering sweet nothings to eachother for one low monthly cost!!!
my nipples just got real hard.