CDIH
The 2005 Major League Baseball Offseason - leomazzonespeculationthreads.com - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The 2005 Major League Baseball Offseason - leomazzonespeculationthreads.com (/showthread.php?tid=10666)

Pages: 1 2

- The Jays - 10-17-2005

Quote:Report: Yankees get permission to talk to Mazzone
ESPN.com news services

The New York Yankees have received permission to speak with Atlanta Braves longtime pitching coach Leo Mazzone, MLB.com reported Monday.

Mazzone, who has been on Atlanta's staff with manager Bobby Cox since June 1990, is considered one of the top pitching coaches in the majors, helping the Braves win 14 consecutive division titles and one World Series title.

According to the report, a source confirmed that the Yankees had asked for and received permission to speak with Mazzone, though it is unclear when the two sides will meet. Mazzone has one year remaining on his contract with the Braves.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman, whose contract expires at the end of October, did not return calls seeking comment.

Mel Stottlemyre announced last week that he would not return to Joe Torre's staff next season, saying he was tired of the constant criticism and the division between the New York and Tampa factions of the Yankees organization.

Torre has yet to address the media following New York's American League Division Series loss to the Angels, though he is expected to do so sometime this week.

Mazzone, who turned 57 on Sunday, had a positive impact on Jaret Wright during the pitcher's year-and-a-half stint in Atlanta. Wright endorsed the idea of Mazzone taking over for Stottlemyre last week.

"He helped me out a lot, and he's done that for a lot of years with a lot of guys," Wright told MLB.com. "He's a professional. I think he could do a good job."

- Keyser Soze - 10-17-2005

getting started early this year i see.

- Galt - 10-18-2005

Paul Konnerko will be the Red Sox opening day 1B.

- GonzoStyle - 10-18-2005

babe ruth will be playing the yankees outfield thanks to dna research and star wars films.

- The Jays - 10-18-2005

If the Yanks are to continue with this streak of consecutive division championships, they need a pitching coach whose been there before.

Next year, Albert Pujols will still be the most amazing player in baseball

- Keyser Soze - 10-18-2005

Galt Wrote:Paul Konnerko will be the Red Sox opening day 1B.
maybe by then you can spell his name correctly.

- diceisgod - 10-18-2005

The Phillies need to sign a couple of high profile spics.

They have one in abreu, next year they should keep him out of the home run derby though. It's not a good thing to hit more home runs in the derby than you do all season.

- PeterDragon - 10-20-2005

Mazzone will bring the rocking chair to Baltimore, as will Jim Duquette.
Don Cooper next on list, but i see no reason for him to leave chicago.
Rags will stay on west coast.
Next choice?

As for potential free agents, heres a listing
Offseason's top 50 Free Agents

Edited By PeterDragon on 1129834470

- GonzoStyle - 10-20-2005

I wouldn't be surprised with the yankees signing Moyer, he's young enough at 43.

- The Jays - 10-20-2005

I don't care if the spend 200 million, it's their money, but, I just hope they spend more of it on the future, rather than the past.

- PeterDragon - 10-21-2005

If you believe Buster Olney, its the chemistry/type of player that the Yankees have acquired thats killing em.
They did better with less "talented" players who had heart and fit in.

The money is a funny thing. In one way i dont blame Steinbrenner - if he has it, at least he's putting it back, and its within the rules; however, it does provide for a non-level playing field.

- diceisgod - 10-21-2005

fuck the yankees!

- Goatweed - 10-21-2005

how about those Phillies, huh?

- Keyser Soze - 10-21-2005

larry bowa, third base coach for the bronx bombers!!!

- diceisgod - 10-22-2005

2nd biggest asshole in NY next to Steinbrenner

- HollywoodJewMoses - 10-22-2005

what about shockey?

- GonzoStyle - 10-22-2005

PeterDragon Wrote:If you believe Buster Olney, its the chemistry/type of player that the Yankees have acquired thats killing em.
They did better with less "talented" players who had heart and fit in.

The money is a funny thing. In one way i dont blame Steinbrenner - if he has it, at least he's putting it back, and its within the rules; however, it does provide for a non-level playing field.
It's not a non-level playing field, it's how any aspect of business goes. Everyone seems to forget that when steinbrenner purchased the team it wasn't "the evil empire" yet and not for many years to come, he was one of the few owners who cared about baseball and its legacy and the legacy of the yankees and while turning it into a profitable team he also re-invested into it. At the same time while other owners would have lined their pockets, george put it back into his product and his product is the new york yankees. His persistence, business savvy and care of the game brought him to where he is. Let's not forget the stinker yanks of the 80's, there have been as many downs as ups. It's like faulting any fortune 500 ceo for not having a level playing field with small business owners, it's just life. There are those who with persistence, sweat, re-investment in their product who can one day become a fortune 500 company and those who can't.

- Goatweed - 10-22-2005

plus, and not to defend George, but lets not forget the luxury tax he pays, which ends up going to all the other teams to help "level the field".