CDIH
Members - please read this - The proper way to use the quote feature. - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Members - please read this - The proper way to use the quote feature. (/showthread.php?tid=1096)

- Sephiroth - 04-03-2002

While Sean is still working on this site (almost non-stop I might add), there are still some problems. The main one right now is the problem with using the quote tags. So, just as a reminder, if you quote someone who has quoted someone else (IE: There are 2 quotes in your reply), the HTML embedded within the quote feature will conflict with one another, which will screw up the page itself (Makes the page turn black for every post after the affected one). How do you remedy this? Very Simple. You can either:
<ul>A) Copy the thing you wish to quote, use the Quote feature in the quick reply box and paste it in, or..
B) Hit The "Quote" button next to each post, and edit out the first quote if there are 2.</ul>

I have gone around and edited about 20 posts because people have screwed up the page and not Known it. So if I or another moderator edits your post, dont think we are editing you for content, we are simply fixing the page. Thank you.

- Hey Ladi - 04-03-2002

Quote:I have gone around and edited about 20 posts because people have screwed up the page and not Known it.
I was wondering why I kept seeing that all over. I was wondering what people were doing wrong. Thank you.

- Maynard - 04-03-2002

OK, so I've done some testing with this. What's happening is when you quote someone it adds the time and member name of who you're quoting. When you add that second quote, that's when it screws up.

Answer? Either only single quote from now on, OR take out the member name and time from the original quote.

- Kid Afrika - 04-03-2002

or you could just realize that each open quote tag needs an end, and they shouldn't overlap. but that would require programming knowledge, so why not just copy and paste, and then use the quote button in the quick reply dialogue? oh yeah, that only works if you have IE5.5 or higher. and lo and behold, you still get an error if you have that. so, let's just say that there are some bugs, but you guys are working them out, so be patient. how's that? will that get the point across? or, do we need to post the ins and outs of using html to express the finer points of garnishing your post with unnecessary shit? oh yeah... thanks, I needed that. Big Grin

Edited By Kid Afrika on April 03 2002 at 10:44

- Sephiroth - 04-03-2002

Kid Afrika Wrote:or you could just realize that each open quote tag needs an end, and they shouldn't overlap. but that would require programming knowledge, so why not just copy and paste, and then use the quote button in the quick reply dialogue? oh yeah, that only works if you have IE5.5 or higher. and lo and behold, you still get an error if you have that. so, let's just say that there are some bugs, but you guys are working them out, so be patient. how's that? will that get the point across? or, do we need to post the ins and outs of using html to express the finer points of garnishing your post with unnecessary shit? oh yeah... thanks, I needed that. Big Grin
OMG SHUT UP U FAG

- Maynard - 04-03-2002

We explained to people how to get around it for now. You added nothing to this thread except your usual trying to make others look bad while making yourself look good. Guess what. You don't look good.
If you couldnt understand from the post that we ARE working on it then you're a silly silly man. You could have just said thanks, but no, you felt the need to garnish your post with unnecessary shit.

Wow, you're right. It DOES feel good. Big Grin

- Arthur Dent - 04-03-2002

Thanks Seph. I broke a thread when I quoted someone and then went back and edited my own post, but didn't touch the quote. For somereason, when I hit the update button, the quote was screwed up. Fixed it by deleteing the quote entirely.

see, I told you.

- Maynard - 04-03-2002

Arthur Dent Wrote:Thanks Seph. I broke a thread when I quoted someone and then went back and edited my own post, but didn't touch the quote. For somereason, when I hit the update button, the quote was screwed up. Fixed it by deleteing the quote entirely.
That's because of the time. When you edit the post, the time thing gets unhappy and takes a shit on the thread.

Oh no! Did I just validate Kid A?!? My day is ruined. :LMAO:

- Buttmunch - 04-03-2002

Yes, I see all your points, but can I quote you on them?

- lent - 04-03-2002

testing
Quote:That's because of the time. When you edit the post, the time thing gets unhappy and takes a shit on the thread.

**Nope, that didn't work Lent

Edited By Spitfire on April 03 2002 at 11:25

Quote:Quote (Buttmunch @ April 03 2002,11:08)Yes, I see all your points, but can I quote you on them?
Sure, why not?

Edited By Kid Afrika on April 03 2002 at 11:10

I'm just waiting for Kid's "Non-Members - Please read this!" thread.

Now that would be ironic mr.dent.

- Arpikarhu - 04-03-2002

i felt bad about what i did so i fixed it. never mind

Edited By Arpikarhu on April 03 2002 at 11:50

- fbd - 04-03-2002

Quote:Quote (Kid Afrika @ April 03 2002,11:09)
Quote:Quote (Buttmunch @ April 03 2002,11:08)Yes, I see all your points, but can I quote you on them?
Sure, why not?
i have my own method of double quouting without scrwing up...just testing it here

- Galt - 04-03-2002

So, I just used the quote function for an unprecedented TRIPLE QUOTE and it worked fine....

....then I went to edit the message to put that note in, and everything screwed up again. The lesson is: get it right the first time or use your own tags.

Edited By Galt on April 03 2002 at 1:03