CDIH
Keep The River On Your Right - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Keep The River On Your Right (/showthread.php?tid=11000)

Keep The River On Your Right - Sir O - 12-31-2005

[Image: keep_the_river_on_your_right_poster.jpg]

As part of my new quest to see as many documentaries as possible, I found this without ever having heard of it. And man, what a fucked up movie.

The story basically concerns a New York painter who goes into the jungle and lives with a band of cannibals for like half a year, eating people and having lots of homosexual intercourse. The movie also deals with things like the essence of human nature and what we're really all about and what we'll do if left to our base instincts and things of that nature, but I don't feel like getting into any of that right now.

Anyway, this was a totally mind-blowing flick not really for the technical aspects but simply for the subject matter dealt with and also some of the images you're left with. There's a shot of a bunch of tourists video taping a little kid getting circumsized. FUCKED UP. They also talk to a nearly incoherent Norman Mailer.

I'd never heard anything about it, so I was wondering if anyone else had had a chance to see this, and if so, what their impressions were?

- fbd - 12-31-2005

how did he convince the cannibals to let him and the cameraman hang out with them? i'd think they'd see him and think of white people as an exotic food...like a guava

- Sir O - 12-31-2005

fbd Wrote:how did he convince the cannibals to let him and the cameraman hang out with them? i'd think they'd see him and think of white people as an exotic food...like a guava

That probably would've made an even better movie.

"Hey, we're here to hang out with you and eat people and stuff!"

"No, we're gonna eat you!"

"Wait, what the fuck?"

Seriously though, the first half actually deals with New Guinea and his stay with the local people there. There's some allusions to cannibalism early on but its held off until you get more of a sense of who Schneebaum is. The scenes where the crew actually finds the members of the tribe that took him on a raid of another village are very surreal and emotional, as are their admissions that they would rather not talk about what happened. Definite feeling of guilt, like they don't want to be cannibals, they just have to.

God that is the weirdest sentence I've ever typed.

Anyway, I went looking around on the net cause that's what I do, after the movie he said human meat tastes like pork. Next time I get a Cuban Sandwich I'm gonna vomit a little in my mouth...

- The Jays - 12-31-2005

so, there's places to get this movie on tape, or dvd?

I wish cable tv showed this type of documentary more. There's got to be crazy shit goin on in all those lil parts of the world that we'd rather not hope to locate on a map. If people are eating people, I have to see that.

- Sir O - 12-31-2005

[quote="The Jays"]so, there's places to get this movie on tape, or dvd?
quote]

I saw this on tape from...

BLOCKBUSTER!

Yes, Blockbuster Video had this gem buried but I fucking found it! I even needed to use my VCR to watch it. But watch it I did!

And it was seriously buried at the bottom of the Documentaries section so you might have to look a bit...