CDIH
A Million Pieces of Crap - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: A Million Pieces of Crap (/showthread.php?tid=11281)

A Million Pieces of Crap - Gooch - 02-01-2006

James Frey is now everyones punching bag over his embellishments in the nonfiction title, "A Million Little Pieces", in which Oprah hawked as part of her book club. Whats worse, he made her look more of a blithering idiot as she didn't want to admit to being duped, and instead called into a Larry King on CNN, between respirators, to state as such. Then, her and her little cabal of PR reps rectify this move as, one week later, she brings on James Frey to her show only to be attacked by her in an about-face.

Poor James Frey. Its a shame that he couldn't lie, embellish and warp reality like many other book authors who seem to always escape scrutiny. Right-wing, leftist, religious and other tomes litter the bookcases of your local Barnes & Noble with ten times the embellishments that James Frey ever wrote. And, those are also listed as non-fiction.

It just goes to show how helplessly lost political and social discourse is, when the only outrage is a drug-addiction book author who addled the sensibilities of housewives across America. How dare he embellish himself being thrown in jail and his recovery?!?!?!?! Yet, a hundred times worse is the other nonfiction which perverts history, timelines, and uses misrepresentation to ply its own manipulation to the mind of America.

Hannity, Coulter, Franken, Limbaugh, Sinclair, O'Reilly, Bill & Hilary Clinton, Michael Moore, Patrick Buchanan, Pat Robertson, and many, many more, can all collectively breathe a sigh of relief. Because its more important when you fool a rich out-of-touch fatty who has a bookclub than to tell the truth these days.

- Goatweed - 02-01-2006

I dont get the hype. He wrote a book but never passed it off as truth, people took it as truth so now he's a liar? And Oprah is pissed because she somehow endorsed it without really checking into the validity of the book, but she can never be wrong so it's his fault?

- Keyser Soze - 02-01-2006

he passed it off as a memoir, which in his definition allows for some embellishment. the fucker out and out made up a good portion of the book. at least now people will be held up to the scruntiny of people like the smoking gun that will vett out every detail of your so called memiors.

- Galt - 02-01-2006

I think he positioned it as fiction and everyone ignored him, so then he "reworked it" and made it a memoir (what's the difference between that and "non fiction) and boom.

- Keyser Soze - 02-01-2006

The Philadelphia Inquirer stated that Frey's manuscript had been circulated as a novel and turned down by 17 houses until it made its way to the Nan A. Talese imprint at Random House. Apparently, editors at the Talese imprint suggested the book would be better positioned as a memoir.

wiki defines memoir as...

"A memoir, as a literary genre, forms a sub-class of autobiography. Memoirs may appear less structured and less encompassing than formal autobiographical works. They are often about part of a life, and often a public part of one's life, rather than one's whole life, from youth to old age. "

- fbd - 02-01-2006

personally, i dont find what he did that wrong, because like gooch said, almost every nonfiction book has embelishment. a lot of people felt inspired by the book at first, but suddenly they cant make their lives better because it was fake. does it really matter how true it was?

- fbd - 02-01-2006

and arpi...shut the fuck up. this thread is the only thing even close to intellectual posted here in months, and your posts are an example of why people tend not to post these things

- The Jays - 02-01-2006

the title of this thread is poorly worked

- Gooch - 02-01-2006

A Million Pieces of Crap was to imply that there is a lot more questionable books out there. But, if its doesn't translate..oh well. That was my thinking for the title.

- The Jays - 02-01-2006

I would have preferred A Million Crappy Pieces, but, alas, life goes on, we'll all be funnier another time.

- Goatweed - 02-01-2006

this thread...has been cleaned

[Image: Tangina_Barrons.jpg]

- fbd - 02-01-2006

its too bad no other mods saw that there was some guy compltely fucking the thread up...if only some mod had seen it...

hey, isnt arpi a mod these days?

- Gooch - 02-01-2006

arpi's been posting so much better these days..and it was so refreshing, i didn't to interupt his fun with his modding deficiencies.

- diceisgod - 02-02-2006

i thought this was about the next million man march

boom!