CDIH
A friend gave me - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A friend gave me (/showthread.php?tid=11317)

Pages: 1 2

A friend gave me - Galt - 02-05-2006

their old iPod, and I want to know how to get the 4,000 songs off it.

My computer will give the ipod power, but everytime I connect it, it says that I need to reformat it for it t work on this computer. When I hit cancel, it doesn't recognize the ipod, I've tried a couple of those third party software things, but all of them say that I don't have an ipod connected.

What gives?

- Arpikarhu - 02-05-2006

blue coconut

- shortnfugly - 02-05-2006

take the ipod and connected it through your USB port but DO NOT HAVE ITUNES INSTALLED OR RUNNING. IT'S VERY IMPORTANT. OTHERWISE YOU WILL WIPE OUT THE SONGS WITH THE UPDATE.

Once you hook up your iPod, your computer will see it as an external drive. Go to "My Computer" and select the device as an external drive. Open it up and copy all the files to your computer.

Good Luck. My iPod mini is up to 1100 songs and it's not even half way full yet and I don't think I'll ever get there.

If you want to add more songs, I suggest using a p2p program like LiveWire or Bearshare. Kazaa is loaded with viruses so stay away from it.

- Galt - 02-05-2006

it says that the drive is not formatted, and will not allow me to open it.

- Adolf - 02-05-2006

is this the ipod you found?

how many ipods you got!!

- shortnfugly - 02-05-2006

then the person that had the ipod before you never configured it for file storage and used it for music storage (amateurs....).

- Mad - 02-06-2006

Karma sure is a cunt.

- HedCold - 02-06-2006

it might have been used only on an apple, so it could be using the mac file system

- Keyser Soze - 02-06-2006

or you may need to download the newest version of ipod updater.

- Galt - 02-06-2006

I just don't want to lose the 4,000 songs on the ipod.

they're sitting at my feet, finders keepers.

- HedCold - 02-06-2006

if you know someone with a Mac you should try it on their computer.

- Galt - 02-06-2006

doubtful.

If not then what, do I lose all the songs? That sucks.

maybe if you help an old lady across the street your ipod will magically fix itself.

- Galt - 02-06-2006

the ipod works fine. i'd just rather be able to pull the songs off and onto my computer.

My computer gives it power; it recognizes it as a drive. No idea why I can't pull the songs off it.

- fbd - 02-06-2006

you could ask your friend to send you all of the songs through aim or burn them to a cd or something. if you do aim overnight, it'll work fine

- HedCold - 02-06-2006

oh if it recognizes it as a drive, then there are a bunch of programs that can read it. just google for one.
if you have windows set to show hidden files, you'll see all the songs organized by folders with 4 lettersnumbers then mp3s with 4 letters/numbers. those are all the songs renamed to work with the itunes database the ipod uses.

google copypod or try donating some money to afrika.

- Galt - 02-06-2006

see that's the problem. I set it to show hidden files; and I downloaded four of those software packages; the software packages said I had no iPod connected, and when I clicked on ipod drive through "my computer" it said that the drive wasn't formatted, and it had nothing inside the folder.

ask lush to go to the apple store with you. she'll go in the back room and you'll leave with all your songs.