CDIH
Laptop Suggestions - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Laptop Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=11840)

Pages: 1 2

Laptop Suggestions - Keyser Soze - 05-15-2006

I'm in the market for a new laptop, any suggestions? I'm actually considering picking up a mac, especiall since they now have dual boot OS X and Win XP.

- GonzoStyle - 05-15-2006

I never understood the need to a laptop and a desktop, unless it's for work but in that case your job should provide one.

- Ronin - 05-15-2006

laptops stink. i had one.. they are a waste.

- Keyser Soze - 05-15-2006

my desktop is useless, i dont like to sit at a desk, i'd rather have the convienience of a laptop. im not a gamer, so i dont need a desktop for that reason either.

if i wanted a desktop id have opened a 'desktop suggestions' thread.

- Ronin - 05-15-2006

i still have my pentium 1, 700 MB hard drive if you want it.

- Gooch - 05-15-2006

Go Dell. Apple's BootCamp has system freezes, still..until some patches. If you don't need a desktop, then you aren't doing graphics, then you don't need an Apple.

i do some light graphic design in photoshop for web designing, but nothing requiring large image files like quark.

- Gooch - 05-15-2006

you might be better off with a buff Dell, with a comprehensive warranty than an Apple...unless you are already Mac savvy and prefer it. Even I use a PC at home. I have no patience to deal with another companies whims...Apple does not control or support BootCamp...they merely let it live. And that worries me in the longrun. Plus...Apple is pricier.

- HedCold - 05-15-2006

i have a laptop and a desktop. when i got my laptop i got a smaller one (dell 700m) more for carrying around and being able to take it on trips or to class, because i knew i was eventually going to get a powerful desktop.

now i use it more often then my desktop because i like to just be able to lay in bed and use it, but when i move out i'll probably use my desktop more.

if you're going to want to carry it around easily i can't see getting anything bigger than a 15 inch.
i see other laptops people have and they just seem so big next to mine. i really like it though, i don't have any problems with the screen size, and i got use to the "smaller" keyboard. i also like typing on laptop keyboards a lot more than regular ones now

also i like the widescreen, between my widescreen monitor on my desktop and laptop, having to use 4:3 screens at work throws me off

when i was looking last year i read some of the reviews at <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.notebookreview.com">http://www.notebookreview.com</a><!-- w -->

- GonzoStyle - 05-15-2006

Keyser Soze Wrote:if i wanted a desktop id have opened a 'desktop suggestions' thread.

tone it down a notch vinny

- lush - 05-15-2006

My motherboard and hard drive totally fried after 18 months with my dell 600m. I will not ever buy anything from them again.

My response is a mac and will always be a mac. The new MacBook Pro has so many features that other computers such a magnetic power cord, so that when you trip over the cord, it just pops out and the laptop doesn't crash onto the floor.

I don't have to call someone named "Bob" in India with Mac. Their support is 100% better than anything I've had. I don't wait 2 hours to talk to anyone and I will never, ever get "Is there a number that we can call you back later?" That's total bullshit. There are like 1 billion Indians, hire more!

Mac is definitely more expense but I think it's worth it.

GonzoStyle Wrote:
Keyser Soze Wrote:if i wanted a desktop id have opened a 'desktop suggestions' thread.

tone it down a notch vinny

eyyyyy, go fuck yourself!!!

- Paper Boy - 05-16-2006

Quote:The new MacBook Pro has so many features that other computers such a magnetic power cord, so that when you trip over the cord, it just pops out and the laptop doesn't crash onto the floor.

this is the most amazing thing i have evr heard. i would get a mac get for this reason.

- GonzoStyle - 05-16-2006

It's got a V8 with 300 horsepower, heated seats and a...

yeah yeah yeah but if I close my hand in the door, will it break any bones?

well it may...

NEXT!

- HedCold - 05-16-2006

well now you can get a new macbook
some people don't like the glossy screen. i have it on my laptop and like it, but in certain light it does reflect a lot.

- Keyser Soze - 05-16-2006

im ordering my macbook from tekserve today. i got a 300 discount because it was used for a week at the E3 conference. plus they took 15% off the cost of applecare, which covers any hardware failures for 3 years.

- GonzoStyle - 05-16-2006

so you're a guido or a jew, pick one.

- Keyser Soze - 05-16-2006

only the good half

- Gooch - 05-16-2006

Keyser Soze Wrote:im ordering my macbook from tekserve today. i got a 300 discount because it was used for a week at the E3 conference. plus they took 15% off the cost of applecare, which covers any hardware failures for 3 years.

nice deal. good luck with it

- Paper Boy - 12-24-2006

keyser, how has the macbook worked out for you?

i need a new laptop and i was thinking of getting a macbook.