CDIH
Your top 5 albums of all time - Fuck VH1, we will do our own - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Noise Pollution (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Your top 5 albums of all time - Fuck VH1, we will do our own (/showthread.php?tid=127)

Pages: 1 2

- Sean Cold - 01-18-2002

Ok, let's give this tired topic a go around, shall we?

Try and be honest about it though. I know what some of you have on your HD's and it is some scary shit. Don't go by what others think is great, go by what YOU think is great. I am going with shit I listen too all the time, so mine can always change, but, four of these I can always listen to from beginning to end.

Mine:

5)Metallica - Master Of Puppets:They never again were able to match the pure aggression found here. I guess Cliff can be thanked for that.

4)Areosmith - Pump: I know Vacation came first, but, there aren't as many throw ins here. Jani's Got a Gun is the song that made their comback complete.

3)Collective Soul - Self titled: IMO, one of the most underated albums of all time. Well written, well produced but not too well recieved. Still, their best selling album, not that that is saying much.

2)Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry:I can't really explain it. It was the first album I ever paid for with my own money and I hunted it down on cd.

1)Guns N Roses: Appetite For Destruction:Just the greatest hard rock album in my era. Raw and edgy for it's time, and still listened to all the time.

- Maynard - 01-18-2002

This is a tough one Sean, because mine also change alot. But, here goes. MY top 5 favorite albums. In no particular order...

1. Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun
This was recently named the best album by an Icelandic band ever. Bjork - Debut came in second.

2. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Nuff said.

3. Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Not only is this album filled with great songs, but it also was groundbreaking. It really brought industrial to the mainstream radio.

4. Beatles - White Album
I was torn between this and Sgt. Peppers. Sgt. Peppers was a great album top to bottom. Nothing bad you can say about it, but I think White Album was much more diverse. And another album that I like every song on it.

5. John Coltrane - Giant Steps
There is a reason that so many people pick this album. It is great. There is absolutely no doubt this is one of the greatest albums of all time.

- Gooch - 01-18-2002

Maynard Wrote:This is a tough one Sean, because mine also change alot. But, here goes. MY top 5 favorite albums. In no particular order...

1. Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun
This was recently named the best album by an Icelandic band ever. Bjork - Debut came in second.

2. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Nuff said.

3. Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Not only is this album filled with great songs, but it also was groundbreaking. It really brought industrial to the mainstream radio.

4. Beatles - White Album
I was torn between this and Sgt. Peppers. Sgt. Peppers was a great album top to bottom. Nothing bad you can say about it, but I think White Album was much more diverse. And another album that I like every song on it.

5. John Coltrane - Giant Steps
There is a reason that so many people pick this album. It is great. There is absolutely no doubt this is one of the greatest albums of all time.
Beatles - White Album

The Doors - The Doors

Beastie Boys - Check Your Head

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

U2 - Achtung Baby

- Maynard - 01-18-2002

Quote:Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
That would be my second favorite PF album. In fact, I was thinking of putting it in there, but DSOtM is a better album overall.

- GonzoStyle - 01-18-2002

Here are my Top 5

not in a particular order.

1- Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction

2- Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

3- Beatles - Sgt Peppers

4- Jimi Hendrix - The Ultimate Experience

5- Miles Davis - Live at the Blue Note vol. 1

Those are the 5 albums I'd want for a variety if stuck on a desert Island.

There are plenty more honorable mentions such as zepplin IV, Thriller, Hotel California, Revolver, nevermind, nevermind the bollocks, OK computer, etc etc. But as of today that is what I want on the island with me.... but then again I can not live without one song though. "Creep" By Radiohead has to be in my top 5 fav songs of all times.

Edited By GonzoStyle on Jan. 18 2002 at 12:17

Quote:5. John Coltrane - Giant Steps
Son of a bitch now that is a great pick.

Edited By GonzoStyle on Jan. 18 2002 at 12:22

- Grumpy - 01-18-2002

1. Creedance Clearwater Revival - Anthology part 1
2. Billy Joel - Glass Houses
3. Led Zepplin II
4. Harem II (middle-east percussion meets techno rhythms with some fusion jazz influence)
5a. Harry Connick Jr. - She
5b. Queen - Greatest Hits

I think I've worn down the CD on all these.

also worth a mention:

Aerosmith - Get a Grip
Eric Clapton - The Cream of Clapton
A Tribute to Leonard Skynard - Various Artist compulation

Edited By Grumpy on Jan. 18 2002 at 12:26

- Spitfire - 01-18-2002

Only5! I don't think I can do that, plus my top 2 has stayed the same for a while but the other 3 always change

1. Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
2. Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R
3. Dream Theater - Images and Words
4. Blind Melon - Blind Melon
5. Zakk Wylde - Book of Shadows

(honorable mention going to: Black Sabbath-Paranoid, DSotM, Days of the New 2, Desert Sessions vol.3&4, Unida-Coping with the Urban Coyote, Black Crowes-Shake Your Money Maker, CCR-Chronicle, Train-s/t, Alice in Chains-Jar of Flies) I can't even name 10!!! :moonie:

Edited By Spitfire on Jan. 18 2002 at 12:25

- Maynard - 01-18-2002

GonzoStyle Wrote:
Quote:5. John Coltrane - Giant Steps
Son of a bitch now that is a great pick.
Quote:5- Miles Davis - Live at the Blue Note vol. 1
So is that SOB.

I was actually considering putting
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
on my list. Thats just an amazing live album.

- Lord Magus - 01-18-2002

Lessee...

5. Iron Maiden: "A Real Live One/A Real Dead One"- yeah, i know it's two, but if it weren't for these two albums and a LOONG road trip back from college I would NEVER listen to Maiden

4. Twisted Sister "Stay Hungry"- 80's Metal RULES!!!

3. Metallica "Live Shit Binge and Purge"- I like all their albums.. and this concert covered EVERYTHING!!

2. Black Sabbath "Black Sabbath" - Black Sabbath... 'nuff said!

1. "Wierd Al Yankovich in 3-D" - Some of Al's greatest parodies AND originals including "Eat It"

Quote:1. "Wierd Al Yankovich in 3-D" - Some of Al's greatest parodies AND originals including "Eat It"

Listen to that with mommy a lot?

- Keyser Soze - 01-18-2002

This is so hard to do but here it goes in no order whatsoever. Albums pretty much have to fit into a period of my life that they seem to have been a big part of since I must have begun listening to them at that period.

1. Radiohead - OK Computer / I can listen to it over and over again and its still fresh and I still enjoy the fuck out of it. The Bends is a close close second. This is the album freshest in my mind and the most recent besides Our Lady Peace among my favorites.

2. Billy Joel - The Stranger / My favorite Billy Joel song, "And So It Goes" is not on this album but some of my other favorites are. I love all his albums but The Stranger has the most from beginning to end including Movin Out (my song), Just The Way You Are, Scenes From An Italian Restaurant, Vienna, Only The Good Die Young, and She's Always A Woman. I still remember as a little kid listening to my father play this album on his 8-track machine in our old living room. My early childhood is Billy Joel, Fleetwood Mac, Marvin Gaye, pretty much the adult contemporary pop of the late 70's, early 80's.

3. Our Lady Peace - Happiness Is Not A Fish That You Can Catch / I fucking love this album. I thought OLP was a one hit wonder with Starseed and Superman's Dead until someone turned me onto them and converted me. Now i'm a die hard fan. They are amazing live and this album was the one that got me into them. I can listen to it front to back over and over again.

4. Nirvana - Nevermind / When this album broke, alternative music ended as we know it. This album was too powerful to be ignored by the mainstream. Suddenly a sesmic shift in music took place that had not happened since Rap appeared in the early 70's. I still listen to this album and still get chills listening to the waves of sound that grind from Krist and Kurt's fingers.

5. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders / - I first got into hip hop back when Ice T, Public Enemy, ED O.G. and Da Bulldogs, Brand Nubian, De La Soul, and other were just getting started but this album stands out as one of my all time favorite hip hop albums, with Notorious BIG's Ready To Die, 2Pac's All Eyez On Me, Nas's Illmatic, Beasties's Paul's Boutique & Ill Communication, and Outkast's ATLiens coming in real close. Hip hop, real old school hip hop (ok we all know Melle Mel and Furious 5 and Cold Krush Crew, etc are the true old school) well at least old school meaning the music I grew up on is such a part of my life it has to be in my top 5.

Honorable mentions: Counting Crowes - August And Everything After / Incubus - Make Yourself / Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks, Its The Sex Pistols / The Clash - London Calling / Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street / Pink Floyd - The Wall / Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here / Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon / Weezer - The Blue Album / Neil Young - On The Beach / Pixies - Doolittle / Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?

I could go on for days. I really could. I fucking love music.

Edited By Keyser Soze on Jan. 19 2002 at 3:09

- BeckyDC - 01-18-2002

1. Deftones - Adrenaline 2.Pantera - Cowboys from hell 3.Slayer - South of Heaven 4.40 Below Summer - Invitiation to the Dance and 5. Primer 55 - New Release Confusedatan:

- AdolescentMasturbator - 01-18-2002

Ahh becky stop tainting Slayer and Pantera like that.

Hmm I'd say in no particular order

Slayer-Reign In Blood
Minor Threat-Complete Discography
the Clash-S/T
Misfits-Collection I or II
Fugazi-Repeater + 3 Songs

- BeckyDC - 01-18-2002

bite me :no, really, fuck off:

Edited By BeckyDC on Jan. 18 2002 at 2:38

- AdolescentMasturbator - 01-18-2002

But I'm afraid of what diseases I would get.

- Sean Cold - 01-18-2002

BeckyDC Wrote:bite me :no, really, fuck off:
Does that option go for the Bday boy as well?

Like I said, I wanted to put a differnt spin on this topic. You have to think a little more this way!

- FNMoron - 01-19-2002

WOW... this is tough... but I'll give it a shot...

#5 - Temple of the Dog (self titled) - I think this is one of the greatest quote/unquote super-group albums ever... it far overshadows anything that Soundgarden or Pearl Jam have ever done.

#4 - Black Crowes - Amorica - simply an amazing album... odd thing is, I think that the Brothers Robinson were fighting relelntlessly throughout the recording process.

#3 - Ramones - It's Alive - Recorded live on New Year's Eve in England (1979)...this record is better than anything the Ramones could ever record in a studio.

#2 - Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique - a fucking phenomenal record that totally put them in a league all their own. All the other "White Boy" rappers pale in comparison to this masterpiece.

#1 - Johnny Cash - American Recordings - One man and a guitar... the songs speak volumes of life. Mr. Cash is truly a musical genius.

- Wormface - 01-19-2002

1. Primus - "Frizzle Fry"

2. Motorhead - "Ace of Spades''

3. Kill Your Idols - "Funeral for a Feeling"

4. THe Slackers - "Live at ernesto's"

5. Slayer - "Seasons in the Abyss"

- onehung - 01-20-2002

Gotta cheat here.
1. Metallica master of puppets,ride the lightning and kill em all.
2.Static -X wisconsin death trip
3.Sevendust
4.iron maiden Killers
5.Dishwalla Pet your friends