CDIH
Virus warning - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Virus warning (/showthread.php?tid=1270)

- Bondgirl - 04-15-2002

I got this e-mail from my boss this morning..has anyone heard anything about this?? I don't know if its real or fake, so if its fake sorry for wasting all of your time

Subject: WORST VIRUS EVER...CNN ANNOUNCED

PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST !!

A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by
Microsoft as the most destructive ever! This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee and no vaccine has yet ! been developed. This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its functioning are stored.

This virus acts in the following manner: It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with the title "A Card for You".

As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened, the computer freezes so that the user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York, according to news broadcast by CNN. This alert was received by an employee
of Microsoft itself.
So don't open any mails with subject: "A Virtual Card for You."
As soon as you get the mail, delete it!! Even if you know the sender!!!

- Goatweed - 04-15-2002

I don't know if this is a real one or not, but it sounds kinda hokey. Most of these warnings that say something like "Symantec or McAfee don't even know how to handle it" are generally bogus. Once again, the best way to NOT get a virus is to delete any mail you get from someone you don't know, and if it is from someone you do know are aren't sure, just reply back to them and ask them about it. Most of these .vbs virus are sent to the "hosts" contacts in their Outlook address books, so if they didn't mean to send it and you ask them, they'll probably say no.

- Maynard - 04-15-2002

This is a hoax.

Here's the info from Symantec's website.

- AdolescentMasturbator - 04-15-2002

My favorite virus was the one with the subject "Don't Open Me". Yet people were still that fucking stupid and fell for it.

- Arpikarhu - 04-15-2002

also be on the look out for an escaped mental patient with a hook for a hand

- Goatweed - 04-15-2002

That's why I say that people who get these viruses usually deserve them. By now it should be understood that you just don't open or execute any kind of email attachment that you are unsure of. And then when people call Symantec Tech Support or whoever, they wonder why the tech on the other end of the phone sounds frustrated half the time.

- Ahlexus - 04-15-2002

Yeah, what goatweed said. Plus, anyone not running Norton or the equivalent is just asking for trouble. Even reading newsgroups can be dangerous. My Norton went off twice within 30 minutes. Imo, the guy didn't even know the virus was attached to his post.