CDIH
Some boxing tidbits - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Some boxing tidbits (/showthread.php?tid=1309)

- GonzoStyle - 04-17-2002

I know there aren't many boxing fans here but it's been a while since I posted anything boxing related.

This year was supposed to be one of the biggest boxing years, following suit of the past 5 years. Boxing mega events and champions squaring off to face adveseries in their primes has become a staple in the world of boxing over the last half of the 90's. Even with the numerous "championship" belts there were finally recognized champs because opponents were facing eachother and we didn't have to wait for 2 big fights a year anymore. We've actually gotten a bit greedy but I ain't complaining.

2002 held the promise of such fights as Vargas Vs. Delahoya, Barerra Vs. Morrales II, Mosely Vs. Forrest, Casamayor Vs, Frietas, & the biggest fight out there today Lewis Vs. Tyson.

Among many other fights like Leija Vs. Ward which was called on a cut.

The Barrera & Morrales fight was postponed due to a broken rib suffered by Morrales. The Vargas & Delahoya fight has been called off for a 2nd time cause Oscar hurt his hand and Tyson Vs. Lewis was supposed to have happened almost 2 weeks ago originally. But hopefully will come off on June 8th.

There has been no date set for Barrera Morrales yet, The delahoya Vs. Vargas fight has been moved to september now.

But elsewhere in the world of boxing:

Mike Tyson always in the news, has gone to train where else but Hawaii. They figured like King Kong secure the fuckin guy to an Island but they tried that when they sent him to Cuba. He punched a camera man and threw christmas ornaments at the press while in Cuba.

But that is not the big news, big news is actually a huge problem. And I mean huge, Tyson is at a reported 280 pounds, he has been gaining weight as of late as we saw at the press conference several months ago. But 280 pounds?!?!?! Max Kellerman of ESPN 2's friday night fights said exactly what I was thinking. It could be 280 or the other accounts are 260 and 250.

But even at 250 that is grossly overweight for him. He fights at 5' 11" but we all know tyson barely gets over 5' 9" in height. His perfect fighting weight his entire career was between 215 and 223 pounds. Lewis can't fight at 250 and he is 6' 5". The good part is he has hired Ronnie Shields to train him, bad news is will he listen? There is only one man who should and can train Mike Tyson the fighter and the man and that is Kevin Rooney, the way things are going unless tyson lands a bomb within 3 rounds I dunno if he can pull it off.

In other fight news 2 former champs square off at MSG the week before Tyson Vs. Lewis. Former 4 time champ Evander Holyfield will meet former champ Hasim Rahman. Rahman who KO'ed Lewis last year in Africa to win the title but then got KO'ed by lewis in the rematch. This fight means nothing since both men have lost to lewis but if Tyson should win and Holyfield should somehow win, this could set up big money for Tyson Vs. Holyfield III. Then again the Holyman has gone 1-1-2 in his last 5 fights. The draw with Lewis, The Loss to Lewis, The loss to Ruiz and The Draw with Ruiz. Rahman is nothing more than James Buster Douglas with a jab and a bit more power.

Prince Naseem Hamed who hasn't fought in almost a year now since his loss to Barrera was supposed to fight last month. But injured his back, it looks like the reign may be over for the prince now.

Floyd Mayweather is vacating his title at 130 to move up in weight in search of big money against Undisputed champ kostya Tszyu.

In other news, the alphabet soup organizations strike again. Vernon Forrest who beat Shane Mosley in this years upset fight, he won the WBA title to add to his IBF title. But the IBF didn't wanna sanction the fight cause they wanted him to fight a mandatory. So the IBF stripped him of his title, just more bullshit.

- crx girl - 04-17-2002

well, i wanna see the tyson lewis fight, and i hope he beats the ever lovin shit out of that psycho. we don't have too many sports heros where i come from, speaking of, i was wondering what happened to nassim, he's a cocky bastard but entertaining as fuck. and since he's practically from my brother in law's home town i can't help but root for him. so uh, yeah, well nobody else is posting... {:p}

- Sean Cold - 04-17-2002

DeLaHoya vs Vargas was the one I was truely looking foward to. I love fights when the two boxers just despise one another. I question if Oscar really hurt himself at all. He has been trying to avoid this fight for the longest because this is the first time it has gotten personal with him since Chavez. The difference being Vargas isn't a 50 year old fighter passed his prime.

Hamed was supposed to fight a couple of weeks ago but he to is on the DL, I think with back problems.

Tyson is a glom. If he is at this wieght, or even 250, he is just showing another sign that he really doesn't want this fight.I hope this fight goes off with out him going to jail for now punching a fuckin stripper in Vegas. I am tired of the hype on this bout and just want it done and over with. I am pulling for Lewis just because I want this animal out of the fuckin sport already.

- slackjaw - 04-17-2002

Quote:well, i wanna see the tyson lewis fight, and i hope he beats the ever lovin shit out of that psycho. we don't have too many sports heros where i come from, speaking of, i was wondering what happened to nassim, he's a cocky bastard but entertaining as fuck. and since he's practically from my brother in law's home town i can't help but root for him. so uh, yeah, well nobody else is posting...

SHUT UP BITCH! {:p} Just teasing.... but as much as I think Tyson is a whacko, there is and always has been something about Lewis that just irks me. As far as the Priss Naseem goes... there was no greater joy in my life than the night he got his ass beat! For the love of all that is holy, do you think you might be able to make it into the ring in less than 20 minutes?

Edited By slackjaw on April 17 2002 at 6:15

- Keyser Soze - 04-17-2002

I'm actually looking forward to Holyfield / Rahman. Holyfield is old but still a very skilled fighter. I'm wondering which Rahman will show up for this fight, the one that lost to Lewis or the one who beat Lewis. My money is on Rahman who, if he wins, will likely get the winner of the Tyson / Lewis fight.

- GonzoStyle - 04-18-2002

Quote:as I think Tyson is a whacko, there is and always has been something about Lewis that just irks me.

I probably know what it is cause it's definetly what always irked me...

Lewis always fancied himself as the second coming of Ali. Ali early in his career was unhittable, he would duck back, left and right like no other fighter in the history of the sport. It was trully a sight to be seen. He would put his hands in his pockets and dare people to try and hit him as he stood still and no one could. Later on after 4 years of being banned from boxing Ali lost his speed a bit and started to get hit but no one took a better punch than Ali, unfortunatly he took too many.

Lewis has tried his entire career to emulate the style Ali had but never had the talent Ali had. What Lewis did have was height and a constant reach advantage with a good jab. He has solid power but not amazing power like a tyson or even a prime holyfield.

But the biggest problem is both of Lewis's losses come off ONR PUNCH Knockouts. While fighters like Tyson and even Ali took 110 or 15 rounds before they would succumb to the punishment. Even when Lewis fought journeyman Shannon Briggs he got rocked in round 2 by one punch only problem was Briggs was never a finisher. If tua got through with a combo he might have won, he rocked Tua the first couple of rounds. Tyson is stronger and better than Tua ever was or will be.

Basically Lewis always has had a vulnerable chin. That is why he boxes the way he does and why he can be boring at times when in with a big time puncher like Tua and even an aged Holyfield, he will try to jab all night with Tyson. Hopefully tyson does what he always did best and that is got down to the body, that is where his height becomes an advanatge cause lewis can't punch that low cause Tyson still has speed and if lewis goes down with his jab too far Tyson can explode a hook and drop lewis.

Tyson can win and he will decide his fate it boils down to how much tyson wants it.

- GonzoStyle - 04-20-2002

Just thought I would add this.

Tommorow night on HBO Floyd Mayweather makes his debut at Lightweight. He's moving up from Junior to the Lightweights. Floyd is challenging for the title right off the bat by facing WBC lightweight champion Jose Luis Castillo. This poses an interesting scenario. Floyd while extremely gifted with speed and power, plus he's one of the few fighters I never seen hurt or in trouble even when he fractured both hands in a fight and was doubled over in pain he still won.

But moving up in weight especially for a small fighter like him those extra 5 pounds is huge. It's like 20-30 pounds in the heavyweight division. It's a whole new league of power and speed for him. Castillo is no chump either he is not as fast as Mayweather but he is just as strong. He also carries more experience in the division. I think moving up and not taking a tune up fight to taste the power and a whole new world for Floyd is a huge mistake and may bite him in the ass.

Floyd is extremely cocky and aggresive and look what that did to Zab Judah. Floyd is looking past Castillo and talking about fight Kostya Tszyu next and then moving up 7 more pounds to fight Vernon forrest then another 7 to fight Delahoya. He just got to the lightweight division and he is already planning past the 140 pound and 147 pound division to the 154 pound division which also may be a mistake.

All in all it should be a good match up and may end up to be yet another Upset like the trend has been lately.

- GonzoStyle - 04-25-2002

An update on tyson, nothing new on the man himself but.

The first set off tickets for the June 8th fight went on sale and almost sold out today, with only 50 tickets left over. Prices ranged from 250-3,000 dollars. This fight is on pace to break the all time boxing gate record. It's estimated it will break the 16.8 millon mark set by Lewis Vs. Holyfield. This fight will probably take in about 19 million at the gate alone.

In other news Tyson is being sued... ::gasp::: for assault. Tyson got in a fight with another boxer last year named Mitchell Rose, eerily reminscent of the fight Tyson had with Mitch Green, over a decade ago. But to show how crazy things are Rose wants over 66 million in damages from tyson, I mean come on already. Plus he is suing for property damages cause Tyson ripped his FUR COAT with his bare hands. Shit the guy deserved to be beaten to death for even wearing a mink coat.

- Gooch - 04-25-2002

Quote:Tommorow night on HBO Floyd Mayweather makes his debut at Lightweight. He's moving up from Junior to the Lightweights. Floyd is challenging for the title right off the bat by facing WBC lightweight champion Jose Luis Castillo. This poses an interesting scenario. Floyd while extremely gifted with speed and power, plus he's one of the few fighters I never seen hurt or in trouble even when he fractured both hands in a fight and was doubled over in pain he still won.

I watched the Mayweather/Castillo fight-Castillo was robbed. For a second, I had flashbacks to a few Chavez fights in Mexico to see a fight so lopsided go the other way.

Edited By Gooch on April 25 2002 at 09:42

- GonzoStyle - 04-26-2002

The saddest part of the Castillo Vs. Mayweather fight was the fact that it was a great fight. The middle rounds had me on the edge of my seat thinking Mayweather may go down. I had the fight 114-112 for Castillo and that was being pretty nice to Mayweather. I gave Mayweather 5 rounds The rindside scorer have him 4 and Merchant gave him 5 but he ended up with 8 on all scorecards. That ruined what was a great fight, the outcome killed it all.

If Mayweather thinks he can take on Kostya Tszyu anytime soon he will be in for a rude awakening, Tszyu will dominate him like a ragdoll.

The Barrera Vs. Moralles which was the fight of the year in 2000 will be towards the end of June. It had to be moved due to an injury suffered by Barrera. Since their fight Barrera has been dominating in his last few fights. Including schooling Naseem Hamed who has not fought since he was humiliated for 12 rounds. Barrera lost a controversial decision the first time around, he's my pick in the rematch.

The animosity between Barrera and Morales reached an all time high when they traded insults at a press conference. Barrera called Morales a little faggot which promted a fight to break out and Morales caight Barrera on the chin with a right hook and in the scuffle one of the promoters fractured his knee so it should be a fight by all means.

Roy Jones and Bernard Hopkins are moving nowhere in their negotiations. Jones wants a 60/40 split and I have to agree with him. Jones makes a good argument for getting a 60% share. Hopkins will be moving up to meet jones and it will be Jones title on the line and not Hopkins. Even if Hopkins loses he can move back down to Middleweight and keep his belts. Plus Jones already holds a victory over Hopkins.

Jones gets quote of the week yet again, topping his "60/40 and I kick your ass, just agree to it. 60/40 gets your ass kicked."

Jones said a couple weeks back in an interview. That the only way he will accept a 50/50 split is "If bernard moves up to 168 and gets the title there and then I will move down and take his title from him. Give me something to come and take from you, I love titles and I'll take yours. Give me something to take and I will take it from you and there's nothing you can do about it."

- Gooch - 04-26-2002

I love Roy Jones Jr. It is a shame that he's got the talent, but no incentive besides the few riffraff in the division. (though i do think Hopkins is good...but Roy is on another level entirally). Jones is by far the most entertaining and talented guy out there...I just wish he'd move up or down to really be able to prove it.

Barrera/Morales...love that rivalry. Should be great to watch. Barrera is my pick too.

Yeah, Mayweather was truly outboxed. I thought that it was pretty clear. I can see one judge perhaps seeing it in a skewed view...but all of them???! Weird.

- GonzoStyle - 05-10-2002

Nothing too big happening.

Felix Trinidad is fighting this saturday on HBO. It is his first fight since last years KO upset loss to Bernard Hopkins. Unfortunatly this fight is a horrendous match up. He is fighting Jose Cherifi who is not even someone who can be classified as a journeyman. But it's a stepping stone but a huge step down from what his opposition has been the last several years.

A huge note though.

It was made official this evening, signed, sealed and delivered. July 20th is the date for one of the most anticipated rematches in a long time barring the Upcoming Barrera Morales fight.

Vernon Forrest will be defending his Welterweight titles against Sugar Shane Mosley. It's trully a very classy move by Forrest who could have taken a much easier fight and still made millions. But he said he promised Molsey a rematch and he is a man of his word. This is trully gonna probably be one of the best in my opinion. It will do down with all the other great title rematches of the lower weight classes since Hearns Vs. Leonard and Leonard Vs. Duran etc. I'm at a loss to picking a winner, Forrest may just be the one who has Mosleys number. Most every great fighter had someone who they just could not beat or who gave them hell and would not budge for them. Ali had Frazier, Robinson had Lamotta, Holyfield had Bowe and Tyson had Holyfield, etc. But Shane also made a mistake by looking past Forrest and had the skills to win this one. In any case this is something rare in todays boxing world. Two fighters, champions, two greats and in their prime meeting and a Rivalry in the making. If Mosley wins the rubber match is a no question.

Vernon can win and so can Mosley but I will just go with Mosley for no other reason but that I just like him and his style more than Vernons. So I am picking Shane once again to win by a 12 round Decision.

- Arthur Dent - 05-10-2002

Not a huge boxing fan, but if I do watch it, I prefer the light weight and middle weight matches. Seem to show a lot more technical expertise than the heavy weight sluggers who end their matches in one or two rounds by just pounding on each other.

Studied a little boxing, but never fought in a ring or even sparred much.

- Sean Cold - 05-19-2002

See, now last night was a good night for boxing. First up, we saw a technical masterpiece as Kostya Tszyu destroyed number 1 contender Ben Tackie to retain his undisputed 140 pound title. Tszyu had an A+ performance and was never in any type of danger at all as he just boxed his way to a convincing 12 round decission. Tacki learned the hard way that it is impossible to get punches off when someone leaves a stiff jab in hios face the entire night. I think this dismantleing has to move Koysta into consideration for the mythical pound for pound title and rightfuly so. It has been a real long time since I personaly have watched such a clinic in the finer points of boxing.

But, thats not for everybody. In the later card on HBO, all hell broke loose as Micky Ward and Arturo Gatti traded bombs in a ten round slugfest. a bloody and battered Micky got the majority decission in a fight that could have gone either way. The ninth round was truely stunning and I am still in awe of the ammount of heart Gatti owns after eaking out of the round with his head barely attached. Lamply, Stewart and Merchant, the HBO announcers are already calling the ninth one of the top three greatest rounds in boxing history and fight of the year if not decade.

On a side note, that clown Hamed fought to a 10 round win against some scrub from Spain that we will never hear of or from again. Truely a pathetic showing after spending a year out of the ring after he recieved his rightly earned ass kicking in May of 2001. This guy was hand picked for The Prince and should have been a walk over. It's a shame that this asshole had to fight on the same night as these two great fights took place.

- Arthur Dent - 05-28-2002

I got to see an Irishman beat up a black guy in televised British boxing. Three fights. One black guy. It was called the "Class of 2002". I think three of the boxers were "graduates" of a pro-boxing school and they were fighting more experienced opponents. (The Irish guy was the newcomer.)