CDIH
Boxing News 7 Tidbits - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Boxing News 7 Tidbits (/showthread.php?tid=132)

- GonzoStyle - 01-18-2002

Here's what is new in the world of Boxing for the couple fans here.

Today mike Tysons second wife filed for divorce from the former champion. Her reason for filing being:
Quote:``The defendant committed adultery during the marriage, and such adultery has neither been forgiven nor condoned by the plaintiff".

Former middleweight world champion Felix Trinidad said Thursday he will face Frenchman Hacine Cherifi in a 10-round middleweight match on May 11 in San Juan. Punk ass trinidad hasn't fought since getting the beat down of his life at the hands of Bernard Hopkins.

Ricardo Jiminez a publicist for Bob Arum broke his leg yesterday trying to break up a fight that broke out between Oscar Delahoya and Fernando Vargas. The two men are set to meet may 4th after several failed contract negotitations. Vargas and Oscar have something that's been missing between combatants lately and that is deep rooted hatred for eachother. Vargas has said many times how he'd love to make Oscar a cripple and how his pretty boy image makes him sick. Here's some extra news on what happened yesterday

Quote:When Vargas reached the dais, he exchanged words with De La Hoya, who was wearing a gray suit. The two shoved each other, and Vargas put his hands around De La Hoya's throat before they were separated.

Members of Vargas' camp later shouted an obscenity in Spanish when promoter Bob Arum referred to De La Hoya as a ``true gentleman'' during his introduction, and Vargas used an obscene phrase while declaring himself a ``real Mexican.''

When asked later why he used the obscenity, Vargas said he did not remember using it.

De La Hoya's trainer, Floyd Mayweather Sr., directed angry words toward Vargas, saying the fighter was under ``house arrest.'' Vargas is wearing an electronic monitoring device to fulfill a 90-day jail sentence following a no contest plea to one felony charge of conspiracy to commit assault in connection with a 1999 incident near Santa Barbara.

In upcoming matches a superfight in the welterweight division between two champions. Vernon Forrest Takes on Undefeated "Sugar" Shane Mosley.

William ``The Refrigerator'' Perry called off his scheduled professional boxing debut Monday, citing undisclosed medical reasons. He was supposed to take on Butterbean the night before the SuperBowl.

Tyson advisor Shelly Finkel says the Lewis Vs. Tyson match could be signed as early as This coming tuesday the 22nd. The match is rumored to be taking place in April of this year.

EDIT****
Contracts for the Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson heavyweight championship have been signed and promoters of the bout are still aiming to hold the anticipated showdown in the month of April. It has not been decided if the bout will be held in Las Vegas or New York City, but there will be a press conference in NYC Tuesday next week to officially announce the fight, according to the source

Edited By GonzoStyle on Jan. 18 2002 at 2:36

- Sean Cold - 01-18-2002

Quote:Ricardo Jiminez a publicist for Bob Arum broke his leg yesterday trying to break up a fight that broke out between Oscar Delahoya and Fernando Vargas. The two men are set to meet may 4th after several failed contract negotitations. Vargas and Oscar have something that's been missing between combatants lately and that is deep rooted hatred for eachother. Vargas has said many times how he'd love to make Oscar a cripple and how his pretty boy image makes him sick. Here's some extra news on what happened yesterday

This is the fight I can't fuckin wait for! The Hatred is just spewing out of this one! Vargas' qute that he couldn't hate him more sold this one for me!

He had me at helllo!

- GonzoStyle - 01-18-2002

Sean Cold Wrote:
Quote:Ricardo Jiminez a publicist for Bob Arum broke his leg yesterday trying to break up a fight that broke out between Oscar Delahoya and Fernando Vargas. The two men are set to meet may 4th after several failed contract negotitations. Vargas and Oscar have something that's been missing between combatants lately and that is deep rooted hatred for eachother. Vargas has said many times how he'd love to make Oscar a cripple and how his pretty boy image makes him sick. Here's some extra news on what happened yesterday

This is the fight I can't fuckin wait for! The Hatred is just spewing out of this one! Vargas' qute that he couldn't hate him more sold this one for me!

He had me at helllo!
Tyson and Lewis in April then oscar and Vargas in May, now that is a back to back fuckin combo.

- slackjaw - 01-19-2002

Bout time we got some exciting boxing news. Unless Oscar can find his old self, he's gonna get the beating of his life. He can't continue to skate around trying to protect his pretty little face and hope to win fights.

As far as Tyson Lewis...... I won't believe a damn thing until they are both standing in the ring. This would be the first true top quality Heavyweight fight in a long long time. Ok, except for that beautiful night when Rahman knocked Lennox on his egotistical ass, but who expected such a beautiful thing going in?

- GonzoStyle - 01-19-2002

slackjaw Wrote:As far as Tyson Lewis...... I won't believe a damn thing until they are both standing in the ring. This would be the first true top quality Heavyweight fight in a long long time. Ok, except for that beautiful night when Rahman knocked Lennox on his egotistical ass, but who expected such a beautiful thing going in?
It's signed and will be officially announced on Tuesday the 22nd. So far it looks like it is going down in april probably the middle week of april.

- slackjaw - 01-20-2002

Signed means precisely SQUAT! There are always "training" injuries and the like. As I said.... not until they are both standing in the ring! Smile

- Ants in My Pants - 01-21-2002

The latest news is that Tyson and Lewis will most likely fight twice this year, because of a contract clause. Wouldn't that be sweet.

- Keyser Soze - 01-23-2002

Why didn't we see this Tyson meltdown coming? I hope the fight still goes off.

- GonzoStyle - 01-23-2002

Well now the problem is that since it was tyson who lost his cool at the press conference. The fight may be called off now due to the fact that tyson is "mentally incapable of fighting."

In all due respect, the rahman and lewis fiasco which was staged in my opinion was not as blown out of proportion as this.

Not for nothing I know tyson is a maniac and that he has gotten more chances than anyone in the sport since Ty Cobb.

But I can see where tyson is coming from, he said it was agreed that he would approach lewis and they would exchange words in a stare down. I think Lewis's bodyguard lost his cool cause tyson looked "menacing" in his approach... well no fuckin shit mike tyson looking menacing? Then all hell broke loose. It happens you can go back to Ali Vs. Liston to Hopkins Vs. Trinidad for major scuffles at pre-fight apperances. hell Ali and Frazier had one on national TV with howard cossell. Was it staged? I doubt it cause of the multitude of injuries suffered and cause Lewis ran back to his dressing room immediatly.

Now what tyson did AFTER the scuffle was completely retarded. When he challanged people from the audience and press... yes sean your prophecy came through he challanged the bald guy in the first row, lol. Plus after he offered to initiate members of the press into the pain of "prison sex" well actually he said he's rape them in the ass like a prison bitch. Now that is just complete fuckin lunacy... but isn't that what boxing is about? Fuck boxers who pretend they are fuckin scientists or musicians these men are paid to beat another man into submission until he quits or is knocked unconcious and can't continue. Mike Tyson is the defenition of the brutality of boxing, plus you can not deny the entertainment value. hell you get in a fight in a bar you aren't gonna shake hands before hand, you're gonna say you'll rape them like a prison bitch, lol.

As far as the fight coming off now? hell who knows this would definetly promote ticket sales BUT tyson has to go before the nevada state boxing commision to reapply for a liscense. He has not fought in vegas since 1997 which was the last Holyfield fight. So who knows what will happen now?

- GonzoStyle - 01-23-2002

[Image: capt.1011732490lewis_tyson_nyr125.jpg]

greatest tyson pic ever!!!!!

here's the update:
Quote:NEW YORK (AP) -- Saying he's not ``Mr. Politically Correct,'' Mike Tyson made an apology of sorts Wednesday for his part in a news conference melee that could deny him a license to challenge Lennox Lewis.

``I'm a boxer, and from now on, I will let my boxing talk for me,'' Tyson said in a statement.

He did not comment on whether he bit Lewis' left leg in the brawl at the Hudson Theater on Tuesday. A source close to Lewis' camp, who asked not to be identified, said Tyson did bite the WBC-IBF champion.

Lewis and his advisers declined to talk about it.

``It (the melee) is under investigation by the Nevada commission,'' said Gary Shaw, chief operating officer of Main Events, the American promoter of the champion from Britain.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission is scheduled to consider Tyson's application for a license on Jan. 29. It was the Nevada commission that fined Tyson $3 million and revoked his license after he bit Evander Holyfield's ears in 1997.

Tyson got a license a year later, but it lapsed in 1999.

``There was obviously a miscommunication between our camps with regards to the face-off, and chaos broke out,'' Tyson said, explaining how the brawl began.

Apparently, each man was to come on stage upon being introduced and stop on a small platform, which were not close to one another. They were to turn and stare at one another.

Tyson was introduced first. After Lewis got up on his platform, Tyson walked toward him, claiming he was going to engage in a stare down.

When he got close, he was pushed by Lewis' bodyguard and threw a punch at the man. Lewis threw a right hand that grazed Tyson's head and suddenly people were pushing, shoving and rolling around onstage.

``After our skirmish, I was provoked by a member of the audience who was shouting obscenities at me and I defended myself as I saw fit. In the process, things that I said may have offended members of the audience. To these people, I offer my apologies.''

After a semblance of order was restored, Tyson threw up his arms in triumph and made an obscene gesture. Then he became enraged and shouted vulgar abuse at a man who had yelled, ``Put him in straitjacket.''

``I came to New York to promote a fight that I want and boxing fans want to see,'' Tyson concluded in his statement. ``I am not a role model or Mr. Politically Correct. I am a boxer, and from now on I will let my boxing talk for me.''

During the fracas, Tyson was cut on his hairline, while WBC president Jose Sulaiman sustained a concussion when he hit his head on a table.

Sulaiman was treated at a hospital and attended a news conference Wednesday for Shane Mosley's WBC welterweight title defense against Vernon Forrest Saturday night in The Theater at Madison Square Garden.

The melee was the latest problem to beset Tyson. On Tuesday, Las Vegas police said they found evidence supporting a woman's claim she was raped by Tyson. Police have forwarded the case to the district attorney's office to see if it will be prosecuted.

Last week, Tyson's second wife filed for divorce in Rockville, Md., accusing the former heavyweight boxing champion of adultery. Tyson countered by suing for divorce in Las Vegas, claiming incompatibility.

On Jan. 1, witnesses said Tyson threw glass Christmas ornaments at journalists trying to interview him at a hotel in Havana, Cuba. There were no reports of injuries, arrests or serious damage.

- slackjaw - 01-24-2002

Did I say something about not believing it until they are both in the ring? I think I did :no, really, fuck off:

- GonzoStyle - 01-25-2002

slackjaw Wrote:Did I say something about not believing it until they are both in the ring? I think I did :no, really, fuck off:
Ok OK mistar psychic hotline ya got one.

- GonzoStyle - 01-25-2002

Here is the latest on the Tyson & Lewis fiasco

Quote:WBC will sanction Lewis-Tyson fight wherever it is held
By ED SCHUYLER Jr.
AP Boxing Writer
January 25, 2002

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Lennox Lewis-Mike Tyson fight has the blessing of the World Boxing Council even if it isn't sanctioned by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

``The World Boxing Council ordered this mandatory fight, which will be sanctioned by our organization in any city or country where it is held,'' WBC president Jose Sulaiman said in a statement released by his office in Mexico City.

It would be a major pay-per-view bout and figures to be a bonanza for Las Vegas.

The Nevada commission is to meet Tuesday on whether to license Tyson for the heavyweight championship fight set for April 6 in the MGM Grand at Las Vegas. It is a WBC mandatory heavyweight title defense against the top-ranked challenger for Lewis, who also is IBF champion.

Under normal circumstances, Tyson would not need to attend the hearing, but he has been ordered to appear following a brawl that broke out at a news conference Tuesday in New York.

Should Tyson be denied a license, he can still apply for and be granted a license in another jurisdiction.

If a commission suspends a fighter or revokes his license, as Nevada did after Tyson bit Evander Holyfield during a bout in 1997, other commissions would uphold the action.

If a commission denies a license application, however, other jurisdictions are not bound to do the same.

So no matter wha Dr. Crazy does he is still the biggest name in the sport. Then again is this much worse than hopkins inciting 3 seperate riots during his conferences during the Trinidad promotion?.... Ok it is but it's still amusing as all hell.

- Sean Cold - 01-25-2002

Well, we still have to see how Tyson's rape charges play out. How the fuck do you get charged for rape in the only fuckin city where picking up a whore is legal? This man is just one step from a padded cell at this point!

"yeah, you, in the suit! Second seat from the front, your next, bitch!"

- GonzoStyle - 01-26-2002

Well most people are saying he should NOT be allowed to get his boxing permit back in the state of nevada. Also as I stated before I do not believe tyson is doing this to get out of the fight. I believe he trully is just mentally disturbed and has severe medical problems. You just have no idea why but they can not control themselves and do sick and demented things to constantly get themselves in trouble. Best example is Ty Cobb, his childhood experiences can pretty much explain Cobbs actions in life but he would constantly get into fights he beat a man with stumps for hands in the stands, he punched umpires, players and managers. He carried guns with him, he beat civilians if they so much looked at him crookedly and killed a man by pistol whipping him to death but said it was ok cause he was a "nigger". But like sean said to me in the end yes Cobb was probably and arguably the greatest Baseball player man has ever known but does that validate it?

Tyson has gotten chance after chance, but unfortunatly now with Ibeabuchi serving 5 - 30 years, Tua being nothing more than a journeyman, grant being Glass Joe, and Klitchko not having a bit of personality nor mangement that will lead him to a title shot anytime soon. This is the best and biggest fight the heavyweight division has to offer. Plus if this fight doesn't happen it will be a burning question for decades to come, just like it has already been for almost 5 years now.

Tyson in my opinion should NOT get his license back, but legally he has to be convicted of something to not get his permit back. But also they have the right to review his behavior since his 1997 hearing after the bite fight and after the late hitting of orlin Norris in 1999.

So in the end we shall see how this tuesdays hearing plays out and how these rape charges come out.