CDIH
Past their primes - What are they doing? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Past their primes - What are they doing? (/showthread.php?tid=1357)

Pages: 1 2 3

- GonzoStyle - 04-20-2002

How many times have we seen it in sports, tv, music, film and most mediums of celebrity. When people hang on to some past glory which they can never again regain or achieve. These old men and women who tarnish a lifetime of work because they can not just stop and bask in the glory of their lifes work and leave at their primes.

In sports the most recent example is a sad case called Michael Jordan. This is a man who had probably the greatest exit from any sports career ever. Making the final shot at the closing seconds in dramatic fashion to win his 6th NBA championship and his 2nd three-peat. One of the most prolific scorers (yes he was a fuckin chucker) but how many big scorers are not? He was a royal egomaniac but beyond that we all loved watching him play. Now at almost 40 he decides to come back to play after 4 years of retirement. He misses a chunk of the season due to knee surgery. He scores 2 points against the lakers and he doesn't make it to the NBA finals for the first time in over a decade, let alone even an 8th seed in the play offs. He proved no matter what, one man can not make a team. Plus his shot is not what it was, his legs are shot and no one. Not even a legend can surpass father time.

The worst examples are boxers. Only because it's more vivid because it's a one on one sport. Atleast in baseball or basket ball you have team mates who can hold you up. In boxing you are alone and plus the very nature of the sport of boxing is to inflict pain and to knock your opponent unconcious. The worst case is Muhamed Ali. To watch someone who was once so great who could dance in the ring and dazzle you with his mind, fists and feet. Getting pummeled by Larry Holmes for 10 agonizing rounds and his pride not letting him fall or quit. Or more recently someone like Evander Holyfield who also approaching 40 thinks after all the wars he has enduring the ring that he can still be the Champ one day. Atleast Ali left after his beating at the hands of Holmes who was a dominant champ. Holyfield lost to John "I got KO'ed by Tua in 19 seconds" Ruiz.

Who have you seen in the past or present who just needs to hang it up? Music, Movies, TV, or sports or any other medium.

- HedCold - 04-20-2002

metallica should of stopped a few years ago

- Maynard - 04-20-2002

I agree that Metallica should have stopped a few years ago too, but not because of their music, but because of their attitudes towards it. As soon as Lars fought Napster, they should have broke up. Yes, their new music isn't the same old Kill Em All, but it's evolution. All bands change over time. And they're still playing hard rock/heavy metal tunes, just now they're more radio friendly and commercial because of MTV.

- HedCold - 04-20-2002

thats more of the reason i thought too. all bands change in one way or another over time.

i also didn't think it was a bad idea for jordan to come back. something needed to spark the wizards organization in some way, and he kind of did that. not fully as was expected, but still he gave a little more life to the franchise.

- Lord Magus - 04-20-2002

I'd have to agree that LARS needs to give up, his attitude is total ass.
I disagree on Jordan, I honestly think the guy just REALLY loves to play (remember the "popcorn tapes"?) It's just because he WAS so good he's going to draw attention no matter where he plays.

And Honestly, Ozzy needs to retire. Not because he sucks, 'cause he doesn't, but for his own health. I could honestly see him coming out on stage in a wheelchair that's how obsessed i think he is.

Well I love Ozzy but I agree, watching him on the MTV series is fun cause he is fun and just a riot. But watching him shake especially during a interview they showed on the last episode. Watching him detiriorate and shake and search for words is just sad. But keep the fuckin show on the air!!!

- Maynard - 04-20-2002

That is true MAgus. Ozzy truly loves to perform, and loves to please his fans. It's great to see his desire, and excitement, but he is getting in bad shape.

- HedCold - 04-20-2002

psh, we all saw him working out and getting fit before his tour. hes an ox.

Speaking of aging musicians.

There is no bigger Beatle fan here than I but... Paul McCartney, just give it up. They may say Ringo was the untalented one but he was smart enough to just sit back after a couple failed albums and just enjoy his fortune. Paul McCartney is heralded as one half of probably the greatest and most influential song writing teams in rock history. He is a legend in his own time, he is a knight, he is so much to so many. But he slowly has been a cancer to his own career for a very long time. His voice is gone and has been gone for well over 10 years. His song writing skills has deteriorated even more so than his voice. He is cocky and arrogant but deservingly so, he just has not caught up with time yet. He's just adding to the list of elder rockers who can't leave well enough alone.

- HedCold - 04-20-2002

sorry to get back on the jordan thing, but there are other basketball players who should of stopped years ago. ewing and olajuwon are two that come to mind. at least jordan is still a presence.

- OAS - 04-20-2002

People should learn to give it up when it's time. These old geesers that don't know when to quit drive me nuts.

- IkeaBoy - 04-20-2002

I'm not a wrestling fan, I don't watch wrestling but correct me if I'm wrong that Hogan should just go away.

- PollyannaFlower46 - 04-20-2002

Whoppi Goldberg....don't know if she ever had a prime...but she really needs to go away.

- PatCooper - 04-20-2002

Sports- Holyfield. I know he's a warrior and and he loves to fight. But a couple of more shots and he's a veggie. Also Patrick Ewing needs to realize it's over. No ring for you Pat. The legs can't keep going.

Music. Neil Young. At one time you rocked. But the time has come for you to stay home with your handicap son.And yes Ozzy also. His body looks like it cant take touring anymore.

- Ken'sPen - 04-20-2002

Cher,
she scares me now.

and old action heros....they need to go away.
Charles Bronson's last 20 films were just sad.
Who needs to see a guy in a Depends acting tough.

Edited By Ken'sPen on April 20 2002 at 4:01

- WhipThisFez - 04-20-2002

<font size=10>FEZ FUCKS YOUR MOTHERS</font>

- Ken'sPen - 04-20-2002

Fez: past his comedy prime.

- IkeaBoy - 04-20-2002

Fez's prime ended when he put photoshop away.

- Ken'sPen - 04-20-2002

Movie Sequels, know when to pull the plug:
every Rocky after III
any Death Wish past I
Lethal Weapon past II
Police academy past I

- PollyannaFlower46 - 04-20-2002

Cher is definitely scary now, I saw some special on her and I was amazed at how pretty she actually was, I bet if she aged gracefully she would still be pretty.

Another person who is well past their prime is Will Smith, he's a good actor, but I wish he would give up the goofy music.