CDIH
Debate of the week 4/29 - Genetic engineering - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Debate of the week 4/29 - Genetic engineering (/showthread.php?tid=1494)

- Arthur Dent - 04-29-2002

What do you think about genetic engineering?

Already in the UK, it is legal to go to a fertility clinic and choose the sex of your next kid.

But what if you could do more? What if you could decide if your kid is an artist or an athlete? What if you could decide how tall your kid will be? Or what color their eyes will be?

Would you? Is it ethical? Are you playing God and is that a bad thing?

- Galt - 04-29-2002

Why the hell not? The rich already own everything and get the best education so why not be the best looking with the biggest cocks too?

I'm all for furthering the social and economic divide between the haves and the have-nots toward a physical one.

- crx girl - 04-29-2002

i'm not religious or superstitious but i think the old "be careful what you wish for" might apply here. or maybe not, i guess it remains to be seen...

- OAS - 04-29-2002

Without genetic engineering, we would be without the likes of Maymay and Ken's Pen. Even though those were early genitic experiments gone bad, it is proof of what risks this science brings us. Let that info help you make a sound decision.

- Spitfire - 04-29-2002

I heard that they have clone babies already in a few mothers in Italy? and Russia...can anyone find a news story?

This shit freaks me out, you don't fuck with nature....we already have too many fucking people in the world as it is, what happens when no one dies anymore? Will someone try to remake an Arayan army like Hitler tried? I don't see anything but bad consequences coming out of all this :burnfucker:

- Skitchr4u - 04-29-2002

i don't know what to think about it. if people are that insecure about having a natural child, should they really be reproducing at all? if you have to have a 6'3" 215 lbs running back as your child, or you don't want one at all, are you really ready for what being a parent is? or if you have to have a super-genius who will grow up to cure aids, then you are twisted. i can see wanting a green eyed baby or something, but beyond that is out of hand...

- crx girl - 04-29-2002

Quote:i can see wanting a green eyed baby or something, but beyond that is out of hand...
that's the problem, it starts with something as seemingly harmless as eye colour, but where does it stop? the human race is not responsible enough for the technology they've come up with. i mean, colonize space so we have somewhere to go after we kill the earth? yeah, that sounds like a wonderful idea Rolleyes Confuseduicide:

- Sloatsburgh - 04-29-2002

I think we should follow through with genetic engineering, but let's not engineer the babys. Let's prevent all of the stupid undesirables from reproducing. Today was the 10th anniversary of the LA riots and the Today Show reminded us of this sad story about how this one 17 year old, angry with the Rodney King decision, decided to show his anger my looting. He was subsequentially shot by a cop and died, leaving his 3 children fatherless. If you ask me, that's 3 fathers who weren't doing their job and shooting this fucker when he knocked up their daughters. Fucking people in California, always wants the government to do their job.

- crx girl - 04-29-2002

17 year old...leaving his 3 children fatherless Rolleyes :disappointed: Confuseduicide: farkin nigras

- barch97 - 04-29-2002

I'm thinking this might be the only opertunity we have to continue to evolve as a species.

- SLASH - 04-29-2002

God wouldn't have given us humans the knowledge if he didn't want us to use it.

- Spitfire - 04-29-2002

Who says there is a "God"?

- crx girl - 04-29-2002

Quote:opertunity
anyone else think it's about time we just give up on this evolution thing?

- barch97 - 04-29-2002

Quote:Who says there is a "God"?
I'm looking at your sig pic and there is no way you're gonna convince me that there is no god.

*Edit:
Quote:anyone else think it's about time we just give up on this evolution thing?
See? maybe my parents could have gotten a better speller...

Edited By barch97 on April 29 2002 at 11:12

- SLASH - 04-29-2002

Quote:Who says there is a "God"?

"They" say it.

- Skitchr4u - 04-29-2002

who am "they" though?

- SLASH - 04-29-2002

Quote:who am "they" though?

"They" are the independent group of people that make decisions for eevryone else.

- IkeaBoy - 04-29-2002

While I don't believe in God and am fascinating in how far technology has in fact taken us I do realize and think about the technology and the dangers that can come from it such as forming 'super-humans.' which is coming closer and closer to becoming a frightening reality. And I know people might say that there will be things to protect it but not necessarily. Money and power can buy a lot including scientists and this technology to form things that can be used for evil because if I had the money and power, I would try to use it to my advantage in ways beyond picking eye and hair color.

The problem is when talking about the possible dangers, while not talking about the entire "oh we're tampering with God's will" and crap, but talking about possible super-beings, you can't help but sound utterly insane.