CDIH
Impossible task - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Impossible task (/showthread.php?tid=1535)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Arpikarhu - 05-01-2002

i thought we could try a thread that stays on topic for at least 50 posts. i dont think it can happen, but lets give it a try. why do you think threads go off topic so quickly? is it because people post off topic just to be able to post something? is it because everyone is so enamored with thier own sense of humor? or is it because the threads here are generally boring and the only way to make them interesting is to go off on a tangent?

- Keyser Soze - 05-01-2002

Hi Sisyphus.

- Hey Ladi - 05-01-2002

Quote:is it because everyone is so enamored with thier own sense of humor? or is it because the threads here are generally boring and the only way to make them interesting is to go off on a tangent?

I agree with these two, and sometimes it's just to spite the topic starter, especially if it is Maynard. Everyone likes to pick on him. :thumbs-up:

- The Sleeper - 05-01-2002

I think a thread only goes off-topic when a more interesting "topic" pops up. It's not anyone's fault, but is just something that naturally occurs. People can always chose to answer the original topic, no matter how much it is defiled, but if it isn't as interesting as the tangent that has been created, why bother?

Edited By The Sleeper on May 01 2002 at 1:34

- Arpikarhu - 05-01-2002

Quote:Hi Sisyphus.
that would be 1 vote for enamored with your own sense of humor. ok

- JIMMYSNUKA - 05-01-2002

i dont think threads go off topic at all....

im wearing grey plaid calvin klien boxers

That comment was completely on topic. I was poking fun at the fact that I didn't think you could pull it off.

- NaughtyAngel - 05-01-2002

i find it very ironic that it is apri out of all people that starts a thread about staying on topic

- Arpikarhu - 05-01-2002

Quote:i find it very ironic that it is apri out of all people that starts a thread about staying on topic
i will be the first to admit that i am frequently guilty of all the attributes i listed. i was just curious about other peoples motives. Look at snukas post in this thread. off topic and not funny at all, the most obvious joke possible, yet he felt the need to post it.

- Maynard - 05-01-2002

So when someone starts a thread about wether or not LSD is still abudant and available and people start posting Beatles lyrics, thats more interesting?

I think the problem is that people just love to chat. Every thread turns into a chat thread about nothing. Not even about a topic. It wouldn't be frustrating if people at least talked about something. But each person just talks.

maynard hates chat threads now? what the fuck is going on here??

- Arpikarhu - 05-01-2002

Quote:maynard hates chat threads now? what the fuck is going on here??
10 posts. unbelievable. especially since you are someone who complains about this very thing.

- Bondgirl - 05-01-2002

Quote:People can always chose to answer the original topic, no matter how much it is defiled
I guess that is true, but if you see a thread supposedly about something you think is interesting, but the last 20 responses are 'huh huh maynards gay', sometimes it just seems like the thread is already too far gone, and no one else even cares about the original topic anymore, so why bother posting your thoughts.

- JIMMYSNUKA - 05-01-2002

BG's posts are the only ones that make me wish i was smarter.:-)

arpi, if i become the lone chat threader around here thats a good thing, not a bad thing.

if i can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

- Doc - 05-01-2002

You know, maybe it's just the nature of a message board that makes this happen. Hear me out for a second

In a normal conversation among a group of people, there are very few long pauses in the discussion. Say you and your three roommates are discussing the pros and cons of oil drilling in Alaska. Someone may bring up the problem of killing wildlife, so one smartass in the group makes a comment like, "Hey, if we kill the animals, we're just helping the next generation get a head start on making of fossil fuel...get it!!!" While the others may cringe or giggle, the derailment is not permanent. The other people in the group will just pick up where the conversation left off 4 seconds earlier.

Here on a message board, there are long pauses in between thoughts of different people (some pauses longer than other TOG) so there is plenty of oppurtunity for more than one person to make a smart ass little comment which could throw the whole thing off. Once a few people make teh funney, it is now the OBLIGATION of others to top them with hilarity. All that time in between just makes the problem worse.

Eh...what the fuck do I know, I am that guy who makes the stupid comment trying to be funny. At least on a message board I have time to think up something remotley witty as opposed to the craptacular stuff I say on the fly in personConfusedtupid:

Edited By Doc on May 01 2002 at 2:04

- Maynard - 05-01-2002

Doc, that is the best response I've seen.

But what the problem is, is some people never post content anymore. It's all smiles, or jokes. They forgot about the content. Sure, I post stupid shit sometimes too, but I also start real threads, and post on topic alot too. So I guess you can say, I am one of those people in the Oil drilling convo. There are others that I think are aspiring comediens that see this as an testing ground for new material.

No, I'm not saying I'm funny. hell, I know I'm terrible sometimes. But I always make myself laugh. And you should do the same. Don't always try to make everyone else laugh, it doesn't work.

- Hey Ladi - 05-01-2002

Quote:So I guess you can say, I am one of those people in the Oil drilling convo. There are others that I think are aspiring comediens that see this as an testing ground for new material.
What are you saying? You want them to go? You want everyone to be serious when you say so? If someone starts a 'serious' topic, we have to keep it like that..... Do we have to designate "fun' topics...... this all sounds familiar......
<table style=filter:glow(color=blue)>OFFICIAL</table>

- Maynard - 05-01-2002

No Ladi, thats not what I was implying at all. I didn't ask every thread to be serious. In fact, I didn't ask for ANY thread to be serious. Just for them to stay on topic a little more than before. I was just using the "serious" topic of oil drilling because that was the example that doc used. I guess you missed that. That's another thing. People don't read all of the posts. And I guess that's because lately you don't have to, because there's no content. You can just read the last page and jump in to the jokes.

- Skitchr4u - 05-01-2002

people talk, conversation changes topics easily...therefore threads go off topic...its not a to slight the thread starter (for the most part) it just happens. it happens in talking conversations and typed ones