CDIH
Why icq owns my soul - And why you people should drop aim - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Why icq owns my soul - And why you people should drop aim (/showthread.php?tid=1570)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Sephiroth - 05-03-2002

Taken from Here.

Quote:When someone sends you a message, there's no new window- I can't put enough emphasis on this reason. How annoying is it to be typing and then a new window springs up or you're playing a game and AIM yanks you out of it (though they finally fixed this).
AIM's Warning is gay. No one ever uses warn to do anything but annoy friends. What's really gay is that even after you block someone, they can still warn you! WTF is up with that??
Since ICQ relies on unique numbers rather than names, you can have any nickname you want. The only downfall with this is that spammers will send a msg to random numbers. But you can easily refuse to accept msgs from people not on your list if you don't like it that much (I get one spam msg a month, woop-e-doo). "But noone wants to remember a number" Whatever- you remember jumbled mix letters and numbers as it is, plus no one just tells someone their screen name- you always write it down for them, as you do with your ICQ number.
ICQ allows more than just one kind of "away": Away for short away time, NA for extended periods, Occupied which allows people to send urgent msgs that still make a new msg sound, DND for when you're not to be disturbed, and Private which you appear to be offline to everyone (accept certain people you choose who you can see you as in Private).
I can read a new ICQ msg by just hitting Ctrl+Shift+Z (or whatever you want). So I can still get to a msg easily, but when I finish whatever I'm doing first.
Rather than playing a sound every person that gets online, I can choose to only hear a sound for certain people.
I CAN SEND MSGS TO PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT ONLINE!
The maximum size of an ICQ msg is 30,720 characters, opposed to AIM's 1,024.
ICQ keeps a history of every msg I send and receive. This is extremely useful since at college I forget whotf someone is or what I asked them them last night. And if you're so concerned with someone reading your history, you can always delete parts or all of it.
Inside someone's info you can make notes that only you can see, again extremely useful when you have 30 or so new people that you only talk to rarely.
Along with the Notes section, you can actually change what their name is in your Contact List. So rather than seeing "oNeCooLDuDe" I can put "Fag Cherry Picker Who Leeches" which reminds me that he is a man-kissing type-killer who leeches warez from me.
ICQ let's me send one msg to mutiple people on my Contact List.
I can send files DIRECTLY to people. While AIM finally added file transfering, they still fucked it up. Rather then sending from Me -> You, AIM sends the file from Me -> AOL -> You. Which makes the transfering nice and slow.
When you click on a web address in AIM, AIM automatically opens the URL in the current browser window, so most of the time I end up switching to Netscape, opening a new window, switching back to AIM, and then clicking on the link. ICQ gives you the *gasp* option to open it up in a new window or current window.
ICQ doesn't automatically take me off away when if I send a msg to someone while away.
I can easily send someone my Contacts. Instead of having to type ten or twenty people's screen names, I can just select their names and send them to someone.
ICQ doesn't have ad banners.

And that's just SOME of the benefits ICQ has over AIM. Is it confusing? Yes, like any new software you get, ICQ is initially intimidating. But after 10 minutes of screwing around, you'll easily get the hang of it. Dont like the look? Then go here and download new skins for ICQ. My personal ICQ Number is 124597632. I know what you're saying "OMFG SEPH I AM A BRAINDEAD IDIOT WHO EATS HIS/HER OWN FECES AND LIEKS IT I CANNOT REMEMBER A NUMBER DURRRRRRRRRRRR" But it isnt like that. Once you enter the number, you only see the person's nickname after that ("Seph" in my case). So get ICQ now. Go. Now. Hurry. Scoot. Run along now. Knuckledragger.

PS. - Download ICQ here.
<font color="EEEEEE">

Edited By Sephiroth on May 02 2002 at 9:36

- Sluggo - 05-03-2002

Just started using it myself...:hail:

- IkeaBoy - 05-03-2002

why isn't this in the geek forum

- Sephiroth - 05-03-2002

Quote:why isn't this in the geek forum

Because I want EVERYONE to see it, not just Kid, AM, And 4 others.

- PollyannaFlower46 - 05-03-2002

I just finally deleted ICQ from my computer, f'n Arab kids would message me about 9/11 and some Indian dude wanted me to marry him so he could come to America.....you get freaks from all over the world on there

- Sluggo - 05-03-2002

I would've seen it there...
I'm not ALL stoner, you know...

Edited By Sluggo on May 02 2002 at 9:47

- Rape Fantasizer - 05-03-2002

I love ICQ, but someone changed my password on me, and I never got my number back. I keep meaning to d/l it again, but haven't gotten around to it.

- Galt - 05-03-2002

Quote:Because I want EVERYONE to see it, not just Kid, AM, And 4 others.
Quote:I would've seen it there...

So what you're saying is that you'd have seen it this time, but you didn't see it the last time he posted almost the exact same thing?

Edited By Galt on May 02 2002 at 9:51

- Sluggo - 05-03-2002

Ok...so you got me...I missed it before...
But, it doesn't really matter, 'cause I use it...

- fbd - 05-03-2002

Quote:So what you're saying is that you'd have seen it this time, but you didn't see it the last time he posted almost the exact same thing?
i though keyser posted it last time

- Sluggo - 05-03-2002

I just went through the whole fucking geek forum...
And...If this was there, it was posted in another thread that did not peak my interest...
So to you sir, I say a hearty "BITE ME"...:moonie:

- The Sleeper - 05-03-2002

We had this discussion in my brilliant thread entitled "Crackhead Smiley". I haven't changed my AIM name in 7 years, so I'm not about to suddenly switch programs...

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 05-03-2002

Why not just use Trillian?

- fbd - 05-03-2002

Quote:We had this discussion in my brilliant thread entitled "Crackhead Smiley".
that explains why i couldnt find where it was last posted...i was looking for a thread with ocq in the title, not a thread about:crackhead:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cdih.net/cgi-bin....+smiley">http://www.cdih.net/cgi-bin....+smiley</a><!-- m -->

- AdolescentMasturbator - 05-03-2002

My icq is 148799062 but since my main comp is down I'm not really using it cause I usually have something like Trillian which logs me on Yahoo, AIM, and ICQ at once.

Quote:my icq is 148799062
BUT OMFG MASTURBATOR I AM A BRAINDEAD IDIOT WHO EATS HIS/HER OWN FECES AND LIEKS IT I CANNOT REMEMBER A NUMBER DURRRRRRRRRRRR

- Sephiroth - 05-03-2002

STOP ARGUING ABOUT WHERE YOU SAW THIS THREAD BEFORE. I WILL REPOST IT AS MANY TIMES AS NECCESSARY. SO QUIT YOUR WHINING, BECAUSE IF YOU DONT, I SHALL FEED YOU TO MY PET HELLDOG. YES, YOU HEARD ME, MY PET HELLDOG. HE USUALLY EATS SOULS, BUT HE HAS NO PROBLEM DEVOURING YOUR FLESH AND SHITTING OUT YOUR REMAINS ONTO YOUR MOTHER'S QUIVERING MOUND. SO SHUT THE FUCK UP. IN CONCLUSION, MEXICANS ARE LAZY.

- AdolescentMasturbator - 05-03-2002

ctrl c + ctrl v

- fbd - 05-03-2002

but i cant do that, am.that's work

Edited By fbdlingfrg on May 02 2002 at 11:05