CDIH
Whats the best mp3 player? - Standalone, minidisc, or cd? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Whats the best mp3 player? - Standalone, minidisc, or cd? (/showthread.php?tid=1585)

Pages: 1 2

- Keyser Soze - 05-03-2002

Maynard and I were talking over IM about different devices for listening to MP3s in a portable format. I had already owned a CD walkman that played MP3s which i used with a car kit to listen to over 200 songs on 1 disc in my car but I was somehow attracted to this NetMD MiniDisc player Sony makes and broke down and bought one. I'm wondering which players you think are best and why.

I'd say the CD player that plays MP3s is best for the car because you can keep burning discs with over 200 songs. For portablity I like the MiniDiscman cause its so tiny and again I can keep burning new discs.

The Nomad jukebox type players I think are best in the home to hook up to a stereo system.

- Maynard - 05-03-2002

I've only used the CD players and a MD player, but I think the best is the jukebox. The Apple iPod is the way to go people. It's tiny (fits in pocket) and can hold 2000 songs on it!!! Not only that, but there are several companies that make software for PC compatability.

So what's the drawback??

5 GB (1,000 songs) = $399.00
10 GB (2,000 songs) = $499.00

I wish I would have not bought my $230.00 MD player and just put it towards an iPod. :disappointed:

- Hummercash - 05-03-2002

i have an iPod... it fucking rox :-D

- Maynard - 05-03-2002

For PC Hummer? What software are you using? Is it REALLY worth the money? How convenient is it. Is there a car adapter?

- Hummercash - 05-04-2002

yes for PC.

i use xPlay by Mediafour w/ a Western Digital PCI firewire card.

it was worth every penny. the only complaint i have is that it scratches VERY easily... but i bought a sweet leather case from xtrememac.com.

if you have one of the sony discman car adapters, it will work with that... or if u have a good stereo system, u can jack right into the 'line in' jack in the back of ur system. you can also get a car charger for it from xtrememac so u don't waste battery while in the car Wink

- AdolescentMasturbator - 05-04-2002

It's definitely the hard drive based ones. The iPod is definitely the best. The only real drawback is price. And if 10 gigs on the go isn't enough for you I think they're coming out with a 20 gig one in a few months. The Nomad 3 Jukebox looks decent but still too big. The rest of the hard drive players suck.

The best cd mp3 players are the TDK Mojo, Rio Volt, and the Iriver SlimX. If you want it cheap the Memorex is nice.

Minidiscs aren't that great in my opinion since the media is so expensive.

- Galt - 05-04-2002

I have an Iomega knockoff. It's a Sensory Science Rave MP (which they don't make anymore). There is absolutely no need for 6 gigs of music on an mp3 player for me. I just use it to go to the gym. With the 40 meg zip disks, I can fit like 15-20 songs at 64k. It was damn cheap at around $100, the disks go for about $20 and I can erase the disks and reload in about 30 seconds.

Very easy, very cheap, and with 4 tiny little disks, I always have enough music.

It's small (about twice the size of a cell phone), light, doesn't skip, and has a rechargeable battery. Unlike most of the othe CD-mp3 players.

The removeable disks make it much better than the Rios because I can have much more music just by carrying around a few tiny disks

- Sean Cold - 05-07-2002

I have the Rio Volt MP3/cd player and I love it. As long as you aren't cheap with the batteries ( I use Duracell Ultra) you get 110 second skip protection. I ride my mountian bike with it and it never skips.

- Maynard - 05-08-2002

OK, so I actually want to buy a portable cdplayer that plays MP3's. Do you guys have suggestions, and why do you like the one your suggesting? I'd like to keep it right around $150, but I'll pay more for options that are REALLY worth it.

- Sluggo - 05-08-2002

I have a Philips Expanium (walkman type) that fucking rocks!
it was right around 100 or so...Don't really remember...
It's great for the car because it's got 100 second skip protection...You can drop it and it doesn't miss a beat.

- AdolescentMasturbator - 05-08-2002

Quote:OK, so I actually want to buy a portable cdplayer that plays MP3's. Do you guys have suggestions, and why do you like the one your suggesting? I'd like to keep it right around $150, but I'll pay more for options that are REALLY worth it.

TDK Mojo, Rio Volt, and Iriver SlimX are the best. They use id3 tags to identify the songs.

- Hybrid - 05-08-2002

i saw something on tv last night that caught my eye. it looks like a mini video camera with the flip out screen for taking video, it also takes pictures, and is an mp3 player. anybody know what this thing is?

- Hummercash - 05-09-2002

Quote:i saw something on tv last night that caught my eye. it looks like a mini video camera with the flip out screen for taking video, it also takes pictures, and is an mp3 player. anybody know what this thing is?
You mean this?

it seems like a cool idea, but i bet it takes crappy pics, crappy vid and and even mp3 playback is prolly crappy. now shut up and go buy urself an iPod. :firebounce:

- windowlck - 05-09-2002

I also own the Rio Volt MP3/cd player, I love it , the best is the EASY CD CREATOR software that came w/ it, but if you have win XP you'll have to Upgrade to Version 5....I burnt 20hrs of music on 1 disk, and I just set it on shuffle at the gym. It's the most you'll get for your money right now

- Hybrid - 05-09-2002

i think im gonna buy the super duper video/camera/mp3 player thing.

- Hummercash - 05-11-2002

RioVolt SP250 CD/MP3/FM Tuner for $143.95 shipped @ buy.com
There's a $10 off electronics or $10 off anything coupon for new members to bring the price down to $143.95 ($153.95 before coupon, which is still one of the lowest prices around).
Amazon.com has it for $145.94 shipped without coupons.

You also get a MIR for a free Car Cassette Adapter and a free Car Power Adapter.

SonicBlue RioVolt SP250 @buy.com

OR

SonicBlue RioVolt SP250 @amazon.com

enjoy Wink

Edited By Hummercash on May 11 2002 at 5:01

- Paper Boy - 05-11-2002

That looks like a good deal. Hopefully someone can answer a few questions for me. What is skip protection? Ear buds, are they small enough to fit under a helmet? How long are the wires for the headphones, if I wanted to wear it down by my knee, would I be able?

- AdolescentMasturbator - 05-12-2002

Um I saw a deal on anandtech hot deals forum for the IRiver SlimX for about 170 I think. Certainly worth it since it kicks the Volt's ass.

- Hummercash - 05-12-2002

Quote:Um I saw a deal on anandtech hot deals forum for the IRiver SlimX for about 170 I think. Certainly worth it since it kicks the Volt's ass.

i saw that too... u can find it @buy.com

- Sluggo - 05-12-2002

Mine came with all of the adapters; The transformer for home, the cig. lighter adapter, and, the cassette adapter and if I remember correctly it was less than 140...
It ID's all the tunes by the mp3 tags, and you can drop the damn thing in the ground and it won't skip...
Maybe it's not one of the typical hi-tech names you guys are used to but it sure does the job.