CDIH
The new qvc guy - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: The new qvc guy (/showthread.php?tid=1639)

- GonzoStyle - 05-07-2002

We all loved the old QVC guy who would sell sports collectibles late a night. Gem Mint 10 McGwire cards and Autographed Jordan Plaques. Sosa Rookies, Tiger Woods Gem Mint 10's etc, etc.

I never fell for his mind tricks cause if ever there was a true life Jedi Master he was it. His Jedi mind tricks were strong and he could sell you shit you knew in no way actually was as good as it was described.

He'd try and convince you to buy a McGwire rookie that booked for a 100 by saying cards like it sold for 5 thousand, keyword "like it" Or That he had a Derek Jeter rookie from college for 30 bucks. It was better than a MLB rookie cause it was from even before he played in the majors. So it's a rookie or a rookie and crads just like it sell for 3 thousand yet you can have it for 10 dollars on stretch pay.

I never fell for it. Then last saturday I was flipping through channels and I saw the sports collectible show with the new QVC guy. They had some bonds piece they were selling. I figured I'll give it a watch and see how the new guy is doing.

30 minutes later I am on the phone and buying an item... I am ashamed they hooked me. Yet it wasn't even old Don, it was the fake QVC guy who hooked me.

It was a 10 autograph item set. You had a guaranteed signed Barry Bonds baseball, Willie Mays baseball and a Joe Namath Autograph plus 7 more including a deceased member of the Hall Of Fame.... how could I not? Hold me.......

With my luck the other 7 will be fuckin people I hate ofcourse cause it includes every pro sport. I'll end up with a set of napkins signed by the bulls team.

I'll be getting it by the end of the week, but I had to share my pain.

- Black Lazerus - 05-07-2002

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>DILLON</span>
it was only because of the life like kid dolls they were selling before. thats what they had you worked up from.

- DGW - 05-07-2002

Foolish one. The prices on QVC are jacked up 10 fold. My brother and father are into collectables and used to laugh at that bastard and the prices they threw at yah.

- 66-1020695387 - 05-07-2002

The mark up is very large

- Ahlexus - 05-07-2002

Markup, schmarkup.. sometimes you just gotta.. :bouncer:

- OAS - 05-07-2002

It's not QVC it's HSN. Get your shopping channels straight retard. Do you want to get Ikea all in a tizzy?

- Ahlexus - 05-07-2002

He had the wrong channel? damn.. although Hsn's prices are usually cheaper than Qvc's.

- OAS - 05-07-2002

What sucks is I have met with both HSN in Tampa and QVC in Chester, PA. Sometimes my job takes me to some strange places.

- Sloatsburgh - 05-07-2002

I usually get sucked in when they sell 10 knifes include a sword for $200. I've always wanted a sword.

- Keyser Soze - 05-07-2002

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE DIALING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I miss ole Don. Does anyone know his whereabouts?

- Hybrid - 05-07-2002

don was hilarious. swimming in the baseball cards had to be my favorite ever. i gotta watch the show now to see the new host. is he funny and wacky like don was?

- GonzoStyle - 05-08-2002

HSN QVC same difference, you horrible cold hearted bastard.

He's not wacky or enjoyable like old Don was but he sucked me in. We'll see if it pays off in the end. I always wanted a Willie Mays ball, I once almost got him at a show. But I opted to get Get Mantle over Mays that day. Plus I sure as hell do not mind a Bonds ball.

Plus I must correct myself it wasn't a Namath auto but a Montana. I am into collectibles big time as well trust me that is why I never bought anything off HSN or QVC. But this one seemed to good, I know the keyword is seemed. But like I said it all lies in the fact of what the other 7 items will be. Knowing my luck I'll get stuck with fuckin Ewing auto's and my HOF'er will be fuckin Gaylord Perry.

- Galt - 05-08-2002

Don actually sucked me in. Ages and ages ago. I'm pretty sure it was Don. Like '95. I ended up buying GEM MINT VACCUM SEAL FACTORY FLEER SETs '87-'92. I think it was like $120 for all the sets. They're still sitting in my closet, and I have no idea what they are worth (though one stupid day, I opened the '87 Fleer set to see if there was a Greg Maddux rookie card in there -- I was too lazy to go to the store and buy a book, and it was before I had a clue what the Internet was)

- Hybrid - 05-08-2002

i found video of don swimming in the cards. here you go:

Don drops a box of cards on the floor by accident

the rest of the box falls on the floor, and don starts swimming in them

- The Painter - 05-08-2002

I wouldn't buy any autographed item. Too many fakes out there. I have several autograph baseballs and cards, but I watched as they were signed. Get them in person, it's the only way to be sure.

- Arthur Dent - 05-08-2002

Quote:I wouldn't buy any autographed item. Too many fakes out there. I have several autograph baseballs and cards, but I watched as they were signed. Get them in person, it's the only way to be sure.

More important than watching is getting some kind of certificate of authenticity. Makes it worth more when you try and sell it. Never collected autographs myself.

Quote:I usually get sucked in when they sell 10 knifes include a sword for $200. I've always wanted a sword.
Turned it on one day and it was a six hour marathon of all kinds of knives and swords. One lot was 100 knives and two swords for $150. It was acutally a dozen types of knives, but multiple copies of each one. Could have opened a store with a few of those sets. Swords were only good for hanging on a wall. If you hit them against each other (like in a sword fight) you'd break them in half.

If I ever go to the Philipines I'll get one hand-made by a Philipino swordsmith I saw on a documentary. Beautiful craftsmanship and fully functional with hand-carved wooden sheath.