CDIH
Calling all geeks - I'm getting desperate - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Calling all geeks - I'm getting desperate (/showthread.php?tid=1791)

Pages: 1 2

- Sluggo - 05-19-2002

O.K. Heres my predicament...
Yesterday, in the middle of a project, my OS takes a fucking dump on me...
I was running ME (save it tools)...
I did a fresh install of 98, on a clean HDD...
Installed the 2000 professional upgrade...
Went to windows update, downloaded and installed the security update, rebooted...
Downloaded and installed the service pack...
Rebooted, GOT A FUCKING BLUE SCREEN...
Rebooted...Now my fucking HDD is not being fucking recognized.
I tried all kinds of different configs for hooking it up...
No fucking go...
Anyway...
I have all kinds of new shit on this clunker, and I don't need a whole fucking new 'puter...
But the board and processor are kinda old...
What can I do, and where can I get what I need to tweak this piece of shit and get myself back up and running in the least amount of time?
Any suggestions will be greatly apreciated.

- Kid Afrika - 05-19-2002

you need the magical 4 win2k boot disks. and then you should attempt a repair. it probably won't work, but it's worth a shot.

sounds to me like your file system got fucked up and now it can't read the drive.

- Sluggo - 05-19-2002

I wish I knew what happened...
Things were going pretty smootly for a while there...
And then I went and installed the service pack...Poof.

- Sephiroth - 05-19-2002

It sounds like a HDD Failure to me.

- Kid Afrika - 05-19-2002

I was looking on the bright side.

- Sean Cold - 05-19-2002

take it from some one who has been quite good at ruining HD's and os'. Get a new hard drive, get a good one and then give me 500 dollars since I am such a sweet guy.

- Sluggo - 05-19-2002

The check's in the mail, Sean. (and I won't cum in you mouth)

Yeah...I was thinking, after trying a friggin hundred times to get this to work last night...
Gotta go spend some more goddamn money...

- LZMF1 - 05-19-2002

dood, you know who to call when your shit gets all fucked up................

- FNMoron - 05-19-2002

Quote:dood, you know who to call when your shit gets all fucked up................
Roto-Rooter?

- Hybrid - 05-19-2002

Quote:dood, you know who to call when your shit gets all fucked up................
ghost busters?

- AdolescentMasturbator - 05-19-2002

Is that a hard drive an IBM Deathstar?

- Sluggo - 05-19-2002

Update:
I got a new HDD...
Put it in with the new cables...
Jumpers in the proper position...
PRIMARY MASTER HARD DISK FAIL
Somebody kill me.

- Jack - 05-19-2002

Look at the ribbon cable. Most new boards and drives come with the cables "keyed" so that they will only fit in a certain way but their are a few that do not. On the cable a red line should be running down one side of it. This is to indicate which line is the Pin 1 connector. Pin 1 should be connected to Pin 1 on the drive and on the motherboard. If you cannot find where pin 1 is on either, check out the manual but usually it is printed right near the connector.

- Sluggo - 05-19-2002

The cables are all good...
Checked and re-checked...
I think the MBoard is fucked...
But what do I know...

- Jack - 05-19-2002

This is going to sound really dumb but I have done it myself. Check the power connector too. Also check a different power connector.

If thats not it...

How old is the Mother Board? How big is the Hard Drive. Older Motherboards will not recognize over 32GB on a hard drive.

- Sluggo - 05-19-2002

It's an older board...
I had 2 40's on it before...Had to use the E-Z BIOS that came on the floppy...
That's all been done...
I am truly baffled here...
(wishin', for right now, that I was taking tech courses instead of programming)

- Keyser Soze - 05-20-2002

When hardware fails on me, i'm just not technical enough to fix it. Usually I will try to eliminate whats working and try to narrow it down to one piece and try replacing it. In your case it seemed like the drive but it could indeed be a wire that got disconnected or inserted wrong. Worst case scenario is that it is indeed your MB or something that controls it. Maybe the processor. Sounds like you've been trying to hold onto this thing for quite some time. You can get a damn good PC these days without breaking the bank. I say go hit the mom and pop shop and have them build you a tricked out new shitbox.

- Luna - 05-20-2002

Dude....get a Dell!

- Keyser Soze - 05-20-2002

If I had to go with a major pc company, dude, I would get a Dell, but your money goes so much further having it built and you get to pick out the best individual hardware components.

- Hummercash - 05-20-2002

wut brand/model drive is it?
did you try setting up the drive in the BIOS or did u just use the auto detect?

.//chris