CDIH
Web page making software - Which is better? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Web page making software - Which is better? (/showthread.php?tid=1820)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Metalfan - 05-21-2002

OK folks....I need your input for a project I have to do. Which software package is superior to the other for making webpages? How much HTML would I need to know? What other aspects do I need to consider?

Step up to the plate you geeks and help me out!!!

- Kid Afrika - 05-21-2002

The fact that you even put frontpage on the list shows exactly what level you are on.

I vote for you to be banished from the ubergeek forum.:fuckoff:

- Metalfan - 05-21-2002

You know what K1d, fuck you! I don't work in the field and am going based upon my professor's recommendations. Since I don't sit in front of a NASA-like desktop and fuck around with this shit all day, I am seeking the knowledge of others on the board. But, as I can see, you'd rather empart your opinions (again) instead of helping someone out or even making an alternate suggestion. Thanks....tool!

Edited By Metalfan on May 21 2002 at 08:37

didn't you ask for an opinion? and that's what you got. now shut the fuck up, and stop whining.

- Metalfan - 05-21-2002

I didn't ask for your opinion of me jackass.....I asked for your opinion of webpage making software. Read the fucking title before responding.

I admit it was a cut at you, but didn't it answer your question at the same time?

frontpage writes sloppy code. you will spend more time cleaning up your code than you will actually creating your pages. also, cross-browser compatibility suffers because it is a micro$oft product.

btw, I still think you suck at the computers.

- Metalfan - 05-21-2002

Quote:I admit it was a cut at you, but didn't it answer your question at the same time?

No, no it didn't. Quite frankly I thought you would have taken the opportunity to genuinely help someone as you give the notion that you are so knowledgable about computers....fuck, you own how many of them? So much for the high road, eh?

Quote:frontpage writes sloppy code. you will spend more time cleaning up your code than you will actually creating your pages. also, cross-browser compatibility suffers because it is a micro$oft product.

See, this is more of what I expected...without the bullshit. Maybe you do know something afterall....maybe not.

Quote:btw, I still think you suck at the computers.

Goody fucking gumdrops for you.

- Jack - 05-21-2002

Frontpage for ease of use if you don't mind it throwing in a bunch of extra code,
Dreamweaver for a stable, well written webpage if you know a little HTML
Notepad for the best overall page.

- Maynard - 05-21-2002

MF, it all depends on the project you have to do. If you need to do something quick, and it isn't going on a public site, you may want to do it in FrontPage. It's basically like using MS Word, only it translates everything into HTML for you.

If you have the time, and it's for a public site, go with Dreamweaver. It will take a little more time to learn, but it will make a "cleaner" page.

Maybe you even want to do it in FP, then when you have time, learn Dreamweaver and redo it. I don't know how complex you need to be, or what.

- Keyser Soze - 05-21-2002

Frontpage writes horrendously bad code. Dreamweaver is slightly better but it writes horrible javascript. The best way to get clean pages is to hand code them in notepad. If anything, Dreamweaver is a nice tool to layout your page after you have hand coded it.

- Goatweed - 05-21-2002

I've been playing around with Dreamweaver for a few weeks now, and I like it. I know a little html, but DW makes it fairly easy. (I haven't published it yet, still working on a few things). I've never used FP before, but not too many people I asked had nice things to say about it.

- Maynard - 05-21-2002

Since this is not his regular job, I doubt he'd be able to write a paragraph in HTML, let alone a whole page. He needs a WYSIWYG web page editor. Personally, for something quick like this, I think he'll be better off useing FP. Sure DW is a better product, but it will also take a little more time to learn.

- Metalfan - 05-21-2002

Thanks for all the input so far! Basically, this is for a project I have to do for my Master's. That is, to create a fully functional e-commerce site. Sounds fun, eh? I'll probably never use any of the skills I'll learn, but it seems like good stuff to know....just in case :fuggin:

Are either/both of these "free" packages?

- Maynard - 05-21-2002

DreamWeaver is not free (unless you're 1337). FrontPage comes with the Office 2000 Premium package. I think there is a stripped down version of FP that come's with certain software packages, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Are they going to look at your code in the website? Or are they just going to look at the finished project?

- Metalfan - 05-21-2002

My understanding is that the professor is more concerned with finished product, but may, in fact, check the code to ensure that no piracy from public sites has taken place.

- Arpikarhu - 05-21-2002

i use sierra's web studio ::runs for cover::

- Keyser Soze - 05-21-2002

I find it truly sad that someone can get their Masters by creating a website and they don't even know the difference between Dreamweaver and Front Page. Its no knock on you MF, rather a sad reminder of how inadequate our places of higher learning are these days.

Edited By Keyser Soze on May 21 2002 at 1:08

- Maynard - 05-21-2002

I hadn't thought of that Keyser. Good point.

- Metalfan - 05-21-2002

My Master's is in Computer Science, not Internet Technology or web publishing or anything of that ilk. So we are learning more about the workings of a computer, and not all the fun software packages you can install on one.

I'm no hardware guru, but I find it odd that it would take anyone 8 years to learn about the inner workings of a computer.