CDIH
Meeting a 9/11 victim... - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Meeting a 9/11 victim... (/showthread.php?tid=1991)

- Tenbatsuzen - 05-31-2002

While I was getting my oil changed today, I saw a truck with NY plates come in for some maintenance. On the back of the truck, I noticed an american flag sticker and some detailing - "9/11/2001 - Remember Flight 93."

I commented to the wife of the couple that I noticed the sticker and how I liked it - how people usually focus on the towers and forget that another 500 people died from the Pentagon and Flight 93.

I then found out that the father of her husband - the man driving the truck - was on Flight 93. We spoke for a little while, and I told her that Todd Beamer lived right down the highway, two towns over.

We shared some mutual sorrow... it was somewhat cathartic, but it was the first time I physically met someone who had lost someone on September 11th.

As the couple left, the gentleman punched me in the shoulder in a friendly gesture and said, "Thanks man. Take care." "I said to him thank you - and thank you to your father, for being a hero."

- Arpikarhu - 05-31-2002

once, in a movie theater,i met the guy who played mr whipple

- Maynard - 05-31-2002

Fuck off Ken.

Thank's for sharing that story Tenbats. Too many people forget.

The day of the attack....I went to an overlook in Morristown, NJ. When I was there, there were probably 50 people there as well. And I actually talked to a few people that were late for work that day, and worked in the towers. They just stood there with their families and cried.

I still can't believe they got the site cleaned up so fast. The workers really busted their asses with the cleanup.

- Tenbatsuzen - 05-31-2002

Maynard -

From what I understand, they were working 3 shifts, 24/7... when they said it would take until late this year to clean up, they were figuring on a snowy winter and very wet spring... the extremely mild winter assisted greatly on the cleanup.

They are also working triple shifts trying to get the Pentagon ready for 9/11/2002... but they're saying it won't make it.

Some things I realized about the attacks...

1) The Giants saved a lot of lives. If the Giants hadn't played Monday Night Football on 9/10, a lot of people would have gone into work *on time* and been caught in the disaster, including my brother's best friend. A *LOT* of people watched the crashes from the ferries as they crossed over.

2) The thing that sucked the most is that my parents and brother were traveling at the time, and I was alone for most of the week, drinking, and watching Fox News. I was scared, I hated that feeling.

One of my best friends' weddings was the weekend after 9/11. Because of all the cops protecting the bridges, I literally set a speed record from DC to Central Jersey - 3 hrs, 11 mins.

- drusilla - 06-01-2002

i worked with a girl who lost her husband. i say girl cause she's only 24 & they were married only 2 months. i felt so awful for her. as i feel so awful for everyone. ugh. i feel like i cry so easily now. awful.

- Arpikarhu - 06-01-2002

i also met jon stewart on 5th avenue. it was cool

- HedCold - 06-01-2002

i saw micheal curry once in times square. i was all like 'hey its mr coop' to my friend.

good times

- drusilla - 06-01-2002

tim meadows almost ran me over on 71st & york

- Paper Boy - 06-01-2002

i met the guy that played seinfelds father in rhinebeck(upstate ny). it took me three days to figure out who the hell he was.

- barch97 - 06-01-2002

Should I feel bad because I didn't know which one flight 93 was until he explained it in the story?