CDIH
Employee recognition - Does it tickle your fancy? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Employee recognition - Does it tickle your fancy? (/showthread.php?tid=2038)

Pages: 1 2

- OAS - 06-04-2002

Seeing as we use this board while at work, allow me to ask for your viewpoints on the matters of employee motivation and recognition. I am about to announce our employee of the month for May. The employee of the Month gets preferred parking, a free day off, a $50 Amex gift certificate, their name on a plaque displayed in our lobby, a personal certificate and accolades from their peers. We have a defined set of minimum requirements, attendance, customer service, contributions etc.

We also do some other things like Friday barbecues in the summer months, occasional Friday’s at a local pub etc.

Do you think these things work? Do you appreciate if your employer does these things?

What the hell, I have to justify my time here somehow. I will convince myself I’m fact finding today.

- barch97 - 06-04-2002

Is there an employee of every month? Even if no employee meets all the minimum requirements?

- OAS - 06-04-2002

It's a monthly program. If criteria isn't met, there is no winner. I just started this program, May was our first month.

- barch97 - 06-04-2002

That seems an effective moral booster then. The idea of an empty meaningless take your turn as recognized employee is worthless.

I used to work at a boating supply joint while I was in college. They had a voluntary program where employees could learn about particular products and be tested on their knowledge. It did not translate directly to any change in pay. But, it was beneficial in that the sales staff became much more knowledgeable. It also, for me anyway, gave a feeling of confidence and righteousness in complaining about how little I was paid.

- Arpikarhu - 06-04-2002

i am of the school where i wish they would just put it in my check

- OAS - 06-04-2002

Quote:i am of the school where i wish they would just put it in my check
Many studies have been done and I agree with the findings that this does little if anything to motivate people. People quickly become dissatisfied with their pay.

- Arpikarhu - 06-04-2002

Quote:People quickly become dissatisfied with their pay.
i prefer it to a barbecue or a plaque. neither of those buys me pretty shiny things i can hold and love.

- Metalfan - 06-04-2002

So do you run a McDonald's or Burger King franchise OAS?

The company I work for has some similar incentives. Its nice, but its so up to your boss to recommend you that if they are so damned busy to not get a clue, you get nothing. If you could make it automatic, that would be sweeet

- Maynard - 06-04-2002

My company sucks motherfucking ass. They give dumb shit at holidays, but no moral booster things. Once a year, they do a bbq, at xmas, they give you a bonus check (3 years here, and mine last year was $20), they also do an xmas party, but charge you $80 to bring a guest. They also do the occasional bagels for breakfast on other holidays. You get a birthday gift (this year was an ice cream scoop :crackheadSmile.

Why not keep all the dumb shit and give me a $100 bonus check at xmas? There is NO moral at my company whatsoever. It just sucks donkey balls.

- Arpikarhu - 06-04-2002

Quote:(3 years here, and mine last year was $20),
do they deduct for time being spent on the net?

- Maynard - 06-04-2002

Quote:do they deduct for time being spent on the net?
Shit I hope not. In that case, I'd owe them about $45,000. :-(

- Sloatsburgh - 06-04-2002

What works best is if the company spends money on training the employee and conveying skills needs to progress in one's career (i.e. if you work harder on presentation, become more visiable to the senior staff, learn this skill).

- Spitfire - 06-04-2002

Friday's off in the summer...that would be my biggest motivation

- DGW - 06-04-2002

I get more recognition from my customers then from my bosses. My immediate boss has always rated me well, but with the way Lucent has been going bonuses are a no no for us pee-ons. I'd love the BBQ, or any type of party. We used to have the Xmas party, a summer BBQ but all that has been done away with.Undecided

- Tenbatsuzen - 06-04-2002

When I worked at Friday's, we had something called "Star of the Shift". It wasn't about who sold the most, who got a guest compliment, or anything like that. It was mainly about who kissed the most ass.

It got to the point where I wrote on the "Star of the Shift" poster, "I refuse to give blowjobs for recognition". 3 days later, the Star of the Shift program was discontinued and I was suspiciously written up for being 5 mins late. Smile

We finally changed it to giving cold hard cash to who sold the most stuff, wheter it was highest check averages, most products that were being promoted, etc. I walked away with a few hundred bucks. Not shabby.

Employment recognition is hard because a lot of it centers on kissing ass rather than the cold hard truth of getting the job done. Granted, some people who were recognized did get the job done, but some didn't. And that was a pisser.

- OAS - 06-04-2002

Quote:What works best is if the company spends money on training the employee and conveying skills needs to progress in one's career (i.e. if you work harder on presentation, become more visiable to the senior staff, learn this skill).
This is something I foster and support. An employee needs to take the inniative to sell their manager on what they want to do and I will approve the training within budget. It demonstrates the commitment of the employee that if they take the time to plan on their future,the company will invest in it. They are asked to sign an agreement that they must stay with us for some time or pay us back, but it works well.

Quote:My immediate boss has always rated me well, but with the way Lucent has been going bonuses are a no no for us pee-ons. I'd love the BBQ, or any type of party.

Lucent still has employees? When did this happen?

- Arpikarhu - 06-04-2002

Quote:When I worked at Friday's,
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: LOSER :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: How's your flare? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Quote:LOSER How's your flare?

Hey Arfy, it's called a post September 11th economy. Rather than leeching off the system via unemployment, I was a bartender and waiter. I made damn good money too.

I'm soooo glad you saw Office Space too. However, flair was discontinued a while ago.

- Sephiroth - 06-04-2002

I would rather have something added to my check or extra perks, rather than accolades and plaques. If somebody wins consistantly, it will foster hostility in the workplace and whatnot ("Fucking Johnson won again! When will I get that goddamn award?! What a cocksucker"). Besides, I usually dont like half the people I work with, so I dont want to piss off the rest of them. Give me something extra in my check that only myself and my employer will know, and I'll be happy.