CDIH
Book club - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Book club (/showthread.php?tid=2106)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- Arthur Dent - 06-10-2002

As I was in the library this weekend looking for something to read on my daily commute, I realized I tend to read all the same type of books. Sci-fi, horror, techno-thriller, etc. Think it's time to expand my horizons again and read some different stuff. So, I'm actually going to go through that "What are you reading" thread and look for some good suggestions.

But, I also had another idea. A book club. Basicly, everyone who's interested would join in and every few weeks someone would get to pick the book that the whole group would read and then discuss. Could be a thread about the book, or we could get together somewhere for drinks and talk in person about the book. Everyone would eventually get a chance to pick which book everyone would read, so that we would all be exposed to different types of books.

Anybody think this is a good idea?

- Hey Ladi - 06-10-2002

It sounds like a nice idea, I'm just too much of a lazy-ass to try to finish reading a book in a week... (probably not a month either) :disappointed:

- LZMF1 - 06-10-2002

nope.......like ladi, i am too lazy a sack o'shit to read selected books.

- Keyser Soze - 06-10-2002

Magazine club?

- LZMF1 - 06-10-2002

pamphlet/brochure club?

- Keyser Soze - 06-10-2002

Webzine club?

- Hey Ladi - 06-10-2002

cereal box club!

- IkeaBoy - 06-10-2002

Quote:Webzine club?
Finallly, OTL will get some hits.

I guess I'd be willing to experiment with this.

- Paper Boy - 06-10-2002

this would be interesting as long as it didn't require reading any sci-fi or horror books. unfortunately, i'm busy the day of the group discussion so i think discussing it a thread would be best.

- Arthur Dent - 06-10-2002

OK, so my thinly veiled attempt to get a bunch of people together for drinks isn't getting much enthusiasm....
how about a movie of the week club? :crackhead: :lol:

- IkeaBoy - 06-10-2002

Quote:how about a movie of the week club?
Are you saying that movie watchers aren't as cultured as them book readers? Only if the MotW is on cable I guess I can join, make that basic cable.

- Galt - 06-10-2002

I'm reading "Understanding Financial Statements" now. Pretty entertaining.

- LZMF1 - 06-11-2002

Quote:OK, so my thinly veiled attempt to get a bunch of people together for drinks isn't getting much enthusiasm....
how about a movie of the week club?
AHA!!!!!! you just said the magic word, DRINKS!!! why didn't you say that in the 1st place?

- Buttmunch - 06-11-2002

Well, I'll be the weirdo.

I'd love to have a book club.

AD, I think you should let this idea sit and develop before you admit defeat.

Cretins.

- Arthur Dent - 06-11-2002

Offers still out there if there is more interest.

- IkeaBoy - 06-11-2002

Well Arthur so far you have myself, Paper and Butt ready and willing.

- Arthur Dent - 06-11-2002

Quote:Well Arthur so far you have myself, Paper and Butt ready and willing.

I think you should re-read Paper's post. He forgot the sarcasm tags.

It's a start. I just think the more people involved, the more opinions you get and the more interesting it is.

- Spitfire - 06-11-2002

I've been reading some crazy shit lately...Isreal Regardi: tree of life, Hermetic texts and philosophy, etc.

You are all welcome to read them with me...

HA! that will happen....Undecided :crackhead:

Arthur, try some Tom Robbins for a bit of the unusual...I'd recommend either Skinny Legs & All or Fierce Invalids from Hot Climates

- Maynard - 06-11-2002

Maybe we could just pick one thread a week to read and discuss that over drinks.

- LZMF1 - 06-11-2002

Quote:Maybe we could just pick one thread a week to read and discuss that over drinks
that'll work....