CDIH
Cryogenics - Do you want to live forever? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Cryogenics - Do you want to live forever? (/showthread.php?tid=2523)

Pages: 1 2

- Keyser Soze - 07-10-2002

From what I know about this group, most of you are pretty uncertain religion-wise. Therefore, the idea that Cryogenics is morally wrong goes out the window for most of you. The question is, would you want to be frozen if you could be guaranteed that you would be able to be thawed out at a later time and had a chance to live forever? What if you had the option to experience a lucid dream while you were frozen, ala Vanilla Sky, what would be YOUR lucid dream?

I for one would not like to be frozen. I actually do believe in a higher power and I don't think being frozen is part of what my journey entails. I'll take my chances and live and die the old school way.

Just for shits and giggles, I think it would be cool to have a lucid dream as a hot lipstick lesbian. Yeah, that would be cool.

- Ken'sPen - 07-10-2002

I don't think it works yet. Every thing I have heard is that ice crytsals form in your cells and kill the body anyway.

But if they perfected it why not.

Except odds are when they thawed you out, (if they ever chose to) you would not be a productive member of society because you'd be hopelessly out of date technology wise, at best you'd be a living museum piece to be poked and prodded.

I'm not asking you to debate if it works or not.

In this thread you are to assume it works.

The question is would you do it and why? If you would do it, would you like a lucid dream along with it, and what would it be?

- Ken'sPen - 07-10-2002

Dude, the second part of my response answered your question.
I would not want to be frozen and thawed out in a future that had no reason or use for me.

yes, i saw that, just wanted to make sure that we are assuming it works for the purpose of this discussion

- Galt - 07-10-2002

Science will be able to do the lucid dream scenario for you while alive before they ever get cryonics to work (since that is never)

- PollyannaFlower46 - 07-10-2002

I would definitely not do it. I wouldn't want to be brought back into a world that was totally different than the one I left, especially since I assume the people that I loved while alive might not be doing the whole frozen thing with me.

As for my lucid dream, I have NO idea what it would be.

In that case, what would your lucid dream be?

- Galt - 07-10-2002

Why, I'd want to be SoupSoup, of course. He's so dreamy

So you'd want to experience what its like to be French Bread Pizza?

- Galt - 07-10-2002

Either that, or be permanently 18 so I can bang chicks as young as 14 with social acceptance

Thats socially acceptable?

- Galt - 07-10-2002

more than it would be now

Hoo-aa!

I don't see the allure there, give me a woman any day of the week. Girls are too much work. Women already know what they want.

- Galt - 07-10-2002

But they're all droopy.

- IkeaBoy - 07-10-2002

I wouldn't want to live forever BUT I would like the ida of a lucid dream. I don't know what it would be but I would love to end up in some sort of confusing existence with bits that make no sense and just try to figure everything out.

- Arthur Dent - 07-10-2002

Cryogenics isn't immortality. It's taking the sum total of the years you will live and spending them in bits and pieces instead of all consecutively. So you could live 20 years in this century and ten in the next and ten in the following century.

Of course, with near light travel and the relativity effect, you could just spend a year in space and when you got back it would be fifty years later anyway.

Either way, I'd only want to do it if I had a woman to share it all with.

- Skitchr4u - 07-10-2002

if i were to have it done (not sure if i would), but my lucid dream would be to have all the new technology that they come up with taught to me, so that when i woke up i would know it all

- PollyannaFlower46 - 07-10-2002

I was thinking, and I don't think I'd want a lucid dream. Dreams aren't reality, and I'd be afraid to wake up and be sad that what seemed so real was only an illusion. Would I wake up from my lucid dream?

- Spitfire - 07-10-2002

No!

I don't want to wake up to a world like in Demolition Man...