CDIH
Whats funnier than a muppet? - A muppet with aids - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Whats funnier than a muppet? - A muppet with aids (/showthread.php?tid=2555)

- IkeaBoy - 07-12-2002

I especially like how she's upbeat--despite the fact she has AIDS!!!

Sesame Street to introduce HIV-positive Muppet
Thu Jul 11, 6:23 PM ET
By Bernie Woodall

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Sesame Street will soon introduce its first HIV ( news - web sites)-positive Muppet character to children of South Africa, where one in nine people have the virus that can lead to AIDS ( news - web sites).

The upbeat female Muppet will join "Takalani Sesame" on September 30 for its third season on the South African Broadcasting Corporation.

The character -- which has yet to have a name or final colour or form -- will travel to many if not all of the eight other nations that air versions of the educational children's show that began in the United States in 1969, said Joel Schneider, vice president and senior adviser to the Sesame Street Workshop.

Schneider said talks are under way to introduce an HIV-positive character to U.S. viewers.

Schneider announced the new character this week at the 14th International AIDS Conference in Barcelona, Spain, where he spoke by telephone on Thursday.

"This character will be fully a part of the community," Schneider said. "She will have high self-esteem. Women are often stigmatised about HIV and we are providing a good role model as to how to deal with one's situation and how to interact with the community."

The program is aimed at children from 3 to 7 and the messages delivered by the new character will be "appropriate," said Schneider, meaning that there will be no explicit mention of sex.

"Not every show will deal explicitly with HIV/AIDS," Schneider said. "We want to show that here is an HIV-positive member of our community who you can touch and interact with.

"We will be very careful to fashion our messages so they are appropriate to the age group. What do I do when I cut my finger? What do I do when you cut your finger? That sort of thing."

"Takalani Sesame" will be the second children's show in South Africa to have an HIV-positive character. But it is believed to be the first among shows designed for preschoolers, said Beatrice Chow, spokeswoman for the Sesame Street Workshop in New York.

In some parts of South Africa, 40 percent of women of child-bearing age are infected with HIV, and in 2000, about 40 percent of adult deaths in South Africa were attributed to AIDS, according to the U.S. State Department.

- GonzoStyle - 07-12-2002

I thought you were talking about me by the topic title.

- Arthur Dent - 07-12-2002

I remember the rumors that went around for years that they were going to reveal that Bert and Ernie were gay and had aids.:lol:

I always respected Sesame Street for not talking down to kids. Like when Mr. Hooper died, they had him die. They didn't say he moved away or something. And they showed all the characters grieving and dealing with it.

- Keyser Soze - 07-12-2002

I won't be satisfied until they have Snufalufagus come down with gonahreahha.

- GonzoStyle - 07-12-2002

I wish Gonzo had aids.

- Keyser Soze - 07-12-2002

How about Oscar the Grouch's garbage pail starts oozing out onto Seasame Street and the resulting smell is so bad that the residents begin projectile vomiting and contracting an airbourne form of rickets, forcing them to move to Mr. Rogers neighborhood.

- AdolescentMasturbator - 07-12-2002

Remember he's hiv-positive not hiv-negative, we don't want to be negative with Sesame Street.

Edited By AdolescentMasturbator on July 12 2002 at 3:19

- Cunt-Twat - 07-12-2002

have any of you wanted to post something, then totally brain fart on what you were ganna say?

- Cunt-Twat - 07-12-2002

i remembered!!!
jim henson is rolling over in his grave...

fuck it's not funny, nevermind Undecided

- Maynard - 07-12-2002

I heard they want to give Barney AIDS too.

I love you
You love me
I've got fuckin HIV

- Sloatsburgh - 07-12-2002

No, Jim Henson was rolled over in his grave..... so that they could get one final "goodbye" fuck.

- AdolescentMasturbator - 07-12-2002

Figures, gonzo can't use a muppet with a penis but they can show an aids infected muppet to little kids.