CDIH
Tonight on HBO welterweight showdown - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Tonight on HBO welterweight showdown (/showthread.php?tid=272)

- GonzoStyle - 01-26-2002

There's a superfight and it is not on PPV.

Champion Vs. Champion Shane Mosley Takes on Vernon Forrest. This should shape up to be a great fight, Forrest is the best fight possible for undefeated sugar shane since Delahoya and Trinidad left the welterweight division. Mosley who has an amazing record of 38-0 (35 KOs). Will take on Forrest who is also undefeated 33-0 (26 KOs).

Mosley while undefeated as a pro did suffer some defeats as an amatuer. While most fighters stick around for 30, 40 or 50 maximum amatuer fights sugar shane had 260 amatuer bouts and finished with 250 wins and only 10 losses, and his last loss in 1992 at the olympic trials (which counts as an amatuer fight) was actually against Forrest. Ofocurse this means jack and shit cause amatuer fights are only 3 rounds and the scoring is not even close to pro scoring systems but still it's an interesting fact.

Mosley hasn't had a real test since he whooped Delahoya in 2000. He has fought 3 times one which included a very good fighter named Antonio Diaz whom he KOed in 4 rounds... well actually he's KOed all 3 opponents since fighting Oscar.

The only problem is while Forrest is an excellent fighter and a very good fighter, Mosely is a very GREAT fighter. In my opinion Shane Mosley is the most perfect fighter since sugar ray robinson (who IMHO is also the greatest fighter of all times)

Mosley has it all, he is what we wish Roy Jones jr. to be, he has all the qualities missing from other "great" fighters today.

Look at the facts the kid lives boxing, he trains like no one else. He has never EVER been hurt in the ring against some of the biggest names in the game today. He has the fastest hands of anyone in the game, power in both hands, foot speed, a complete boxer/puncher who goes to the body and head at the same time. He is also a true role model, no rough shit at conferences, no trash talking, always kind and courteous at interviews, loves his fans, never claims he is the greatest but always proves he is the best in the game today and plus he is hot as shit!!!!

So if you wanna see a trully great fighter and not wonder what it was like to see Ali or Robinson or Louis in their primes cause 40 years from now people will be saying "wow I wish I could have seen a shane mosley fight."

Edited By GonzoStyle on Jan. 26 2002 at 3:53

- slackjaw - 01-27-2002

FUCK! I can't believe Shane got spanked like that..... I am utterly depressed now!

- Sean Cold - 01-27-2002

I think the boxing world as a whole is in total disarray right now. I can't describe the shock I am in over this.
:disaprove: :disaprove: :disaprove: :disaprove: :disaprove:

- Arpikarhu - 01-27-2002

i completely forgot about this pugilistic exhibition. gosh darn!
i am sure they both put forth their best effort and gave it their all. I saw Mr.Style's status and thought you might find it interesting to know that i know mr. kellerman. He is swell.
I was surprised to learn of Mr. Moseleys loss. I am sure he will learn from this though, and come back a better man. peace be with you.

- Sean Cold - 01-27-2002

Quote:Forrest hands Mosley his first loss, takes WBC belt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Vernon Forrest's second victory over Shane Mosley will be the one that boxing fans remember.

Vernon Forrest took command of the fight with two knockdowns in the second round.

As a matter of fact, few people even know that Forrest outpointed Mosley in a three-round bout at the Olympic trials in 1992.

"It's very ironic that this is the guy who beat me last time," Mosley said. "I want a rematch."

Forrest did more than beat Mosley, considered by many to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. He knocked him down twice in battering his way to a one-sided 12-round decision that made him the WBC welterweight champion Saturday night.

"Shane Mosley is supposed to be the best boxer in boxing," Forrest, a 7-1 underdog, said after his huge victory at the Theater at Madison Square Garden. "They call him the Michael Jordan of boxing, and I beat him. Am I going to be Michael Jordan?"

Forrest, who is unbeaten, certainly will no longer be overshadowed.

It was a dominant performance for Forrest, at least for two rounds. The second and 10th rounds were enough to make him the champion.

"I had a dream last night that I won the fight," Forrest said.

Once the bell rang, Forrest became a nightmare for Mosley.

Forrest's right-hand punching power proved to be the difference. It caused two knockdowns in the second round and had Mosley in deep trouble in the 10th.

"I have a radar on my right hand," Forrest said. "It was a heat-seeking missile, and I was on target with it all night."

Mosley made no excuses, saying he should have boxed more rather than punch with Forrest. But the six-foot Forrest's height and style seem to puzzle the 5-9 Mosley.

Forrest said before the fight that the result would be the same as it was 10 years ago. Not too many people believed him.

Afterward, Forrest said he would be happy to give Mosley a rematch.

Early in the second round, the fighters clashed heads and both staggered backward as referee Steve Smoger called time. Mosley sustained a cut on the hairline.

When action resumed, Forrest brought a roar from the sellout crowd of 5,323 fans when he landed a tremendous right that sent Mosley backward. Forrest followed up with two more rights, and Mosley went down.

Mosley got up at four and tried desperately to stay out of further trouble as Forrest pursued him around the ring. About 10 seconds before the bell, he landed a right hand. As Mosley tried to grab him, Mosley fell and it was ruled a knockdown. This time, he got up as the bell rang.

Forrest said the collision of heads did not bother him, but it did get to Mosley.

"The head butt affected me," Mosley said. "I was bad, but not so bad I couldn't see or anything."

In the 10th round, Forrest -- who also went into the fight unbeaten -- landed a hard right and followed with a hook, a right uppercut and another right that hurt Mosley. But Mosley was able to last out the round.

After the second round, Mosley got through the third and then fought gamely, holding his own until he ran into trouble again in the 10th.

Tom Kaczmarek scored the fight 115-100, Melvina Lathan saw it 117-108, and Julie Lederman had it as 118-108 for Forrest.

The defeat capped a rough four-month run in New York for fighters considered the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world. On Sept. 29, Felix Trinidad Jr., who laid claim to that honor, was knocked out by Bernard Hopkins in the 12th round for the undisputed middleweight championship in the main Garden arena.

Forrest certainly boosted his stock with the upset that made his record 34-0 with 27 knockouts. He's also been in one no contest.

I am still just fuckin shocked over this!

Edited By Sean Cold on Jan. 27 2002 at 03:38

- GonzoStyle - 01-28-2002

I'm flabergasted!!!

- Keyser Soze - 01-28-2002

I missed the fight but I was stunned to find out Sugar Shane lost. The rematch should be explosive. You have to at least be happy that for once the surprise is that the better fighter won fair and square instead of the better fighter getting the shaft when it goes to the cards.

- Sean Cold - 01-28-2002

Dude, I agree with that. Just the total shock of Mosely getting owned for Nine out of twelve rounds is just totaly mind numbing. I truely had Shane ranked the best of our time before Saturday, But, Larry Merchant said it best at the end of it all.

"He who always fights good fighters is bound to lose."

- Keyser Soze - 01-29-2002

Sean Cold Wrote:"He who always fights good fighters is bound to lose."
Thats true but I have so much more respect for Sugar Shane for stepping up to the plate time and time again. I hate fighters who beef up their records just to make some cash in between the big fights cause they know they will lose. Its all too common in boxing.