CDIH
News from New Orleans - News stories for Hype week - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: News from New Orleans - News stories for Hype week (/showthread.php?tid=309)

- Sean Cold - 01-29-2002

Well, what would the Super Bowl be with out the controversy? Granted, last year was a hell of alot more entertaining with motor mouth Shannon Sharpe, but our first peep from New England's camp is quite intresting indeed.

Quote:Belichick keeps media guessing over Brady, Bledsoe

NEW ORLEANS -- Wednesday.

Next question.

Basically, that was the response of head coach Bill Belichick to the inquiring minds who want to know who'll start at quarterback for the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XXXVI.

Bill Belichick was occupied with traveling on Monday, not thinking about his starting QB.
Belichick reiterated time and again during Monday's news conference that he'll "announce" his decision between Tom Brady and Drew Bledsoe on Wednesday -- four days before his underdog Pats meet the St. Louis Rams on Sunday.

"Look, fellas, really, I'm not trying to keep anything from anybody. I'm really not," Belichick told the media. "If I could tell you something and say I'm 100 percent -- I have 100 percent conviction on it and this is the way it is -- I would tell you that. I mean, you can ask the question 50 different ways.

"I'll announce it on Wednesday. That's honestly the best I can do. If I could do it now, I'd do it."

Belichick could be playing the waiting game to force the Rams to prepare for both Brady and Bledsoe. He could be waiting to see just how hobbled Brady is from his sprained left ankle suffered in the second quarter of Sunday's AFC championship game at Pittsburgh. He didn't walk with a limp after arriving in New Orleans.

Or maybe Belichick simply hasn't had time to think about naming a starter since the Patriots stepped off the plane back home late Sunday night after their shocking 24-17 win over the Steelers. In fact, the team met at 8:30 a.m. Monday to get their Super Bowl plans in order.

Still, it's no coincidence that neither Brady nor Bledsoe were available to the media Monday afternoon.

"We've really been scrambling today to get that together," Belichick said. "We traveled to the plane, we flew down, we just got in and that's what we've been doing all day. We got back to New England I'd say around 11 o'clock last night. That's our schedule. We haven't done much of anything other than unpack, re-pack and fly down to New Orleans."

Wide receiver Troy Brown said he had "no idea" who'll be throwing passes his way Sunday. Nor does he care. All he knows is that the ball will be coming from a right-handed quarterback.

"It won't be a distraction," Brown said of the QB question. "It wasn't a distraction when he named Brady the starter (during the regular season), so it's not going to be a distraction now."

Belichick's indecision won't put any added stress on the offense's preparation either. Offensive coordinator Charlie Weis calls the same plays for both quarterbacks, said Brown.

"They have different throwing motions, which is the biggest difference, plus experience," Brown said. "Other than that, the plays have been the same."

Of course, there's always the chance Belichick is playing mind games with the media. Think again, says strong safety Lawyer Milloy.

"I tell you what, week in and week out I don't even know what the game plan is," Milloy said. "If he says he doesn't know who's going to start, believe him."

- Keyser Soze - 01-29-2002

I think its a foregone conclusion that he is going to start Brady. The Pats have to be damn relieved to see Bledsoe perform so well last weekend, who wouldn't love to have such a competent backup with all that experience.

Don't believe anything Belichick says, its all about strategy, he knows who he's starting.

- DGW - 01-29-2002

Brady will start. Doing this will keep a little pressure of him and more focuse don the coach.