CDIH
Expedia.com - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Expedia.com (/showthread.php?tid=3636)

- Hey Ladi - 09-30-2002

Anyone use this?

If I'm going away in December, do I buy the tickets now? O close to the trip? Do those sites go up or down at the end?

Any problems you had? Any better sites?

- Danked - 09-30-2002

What are you talking about? The Amsterdam board party isn't till May or June.

- Hey Ladi - 09-30-2002

Right, that's next year's vacation. This one is still for this year.

- Danked - 09-30-2002

I tried about two months prior for my Amsterdam tix on Hotwire.com. Got roundtrip for $389. We may have gotten the hotel room from Expedia, but it didn't seem to be any major savings. At least Hotwire gives you the option of trying a couple of times for tickets without purchase.

- OAS - 09-30-2002

Check the actual airline sites first. Do it through expedia and the airline site to see if there is a difference. I use expedia often and never had a problem. Expedia often is cheaper. If you buy 30 to 45 days out, it is cheaper than if you buy now for December.

- Hey Ladi - 09-30-2002

but then will they have less time choices?

what about travel agents? I keep forgeting to go there.

- OAS - 09-30-2002

Do not use a travel agent. The airfare you pay will be more. There are always seats available to Vegas 30 days out. Book hotel and air online. You will save money vs a travel agent. As long as you are not going to travel to or stay in Vegas around New Years Eve, you will be fine.

- Gooch - 09-30-2002

expedia is pretty good...lately it's been better than travelocity.com and orbitz.com. and....yes, buy the tickets now...Dec is major travel-time and prices are gonna increase. Hotwire.com and priceline.com are good, for cheaper rates...but you must commit to them, they have additional stops, and you won't know the carrier until you've already bought. PErsonally, in pricing out for tickets to Cali in the next few weeks...Expedia gave me the best price ($285 roundtip on AA non-stop).

- PollyannaFlower46 - 09-30-2002

We use Orbitz at my office, but my parents use Expedia all the time. All sites have the same general prices, with the exception of Hotwire because they don't tell you what time or what airline you're on until after you've paid up. I used Hotwire the other day to book at hotel for two nights that I'll be spending at an airport, got rooms for $29 rather than $65 and it turns out the hotel will pick me up from the airport and take me back for my return flights, so all in all it was a very good deal. As far as booking goes, I'd suggest you book ASAP as well, prices change daily.

- Galt - 09-30-2002

So right now, there are five vacations I may take in the next six months.

Amsterdam or South America or Australia during Winter Break with my brother
Cayman Islands during Winter Break with my girlfriend
Skiiing in Colorado in February with my brother
Mardi Gras with buddies from school
Lake Tahoe for Spring Break with buddies from school

I just took out a huge student loan just so I can pay for vacations since I don't have the money to travel, but have the time, and the people to travel with.

Wrong thread, but yeah, I don't know if it's wise to travel this much.

- LyricalGomez - 09-30-2002

Quote:Do not use a travel agent. The airfare you pay will be more.

Not always true, I've gotten a bunch of great deals through Travel Agents recently, they really try hard now that the internet is taking away a large chunk of their buisness..

Example: My friend booked his trip to Cancun through the net and wound up paying 700 bucks for Airfare and Hotel for a week....That's a really great price, but I checked with my travel agent and wound up getting airfare and hotel, plus free food and drink all week long for 539 bucks.

Best advice, check everywhere, deals can be found anywhere

- PollyannaFlower46 - 09-30-2002

I booked a trip last week though Liberty Travel by my office, got quoted what I thought was the going rate (similar to what was on the internet), but what bothered me was that we booked something called the "Run of the House" promotion, which meant that when we checked in, the resort would put us in whatever room was available, not the one we necessarily wanted. So on Saturday, out of curiosity, I went into the travel agent by my house, and he made a few phone calls (something the woman at Liberty Travel did not do), and was able to give me a room with an ocean view and king sized bed for about $200 cheaper than the other deal. Even though I lost the $100 in the cancellation fee at the other place, I like knowing what kind of room we're getting before we check in.

Oh and Galt, I did the same thing with my student loans, I figured why sit around and wish you could do something when you can take out a loan with such a low interest and have like 15 years to pay it back? Now is the time to travel, not when you're older with real responsibilities like a family, etc.

- kindred - 10-01-2002

I used Expedia to fly into Philly last April. I made the reservations less than a week before I traveled, so I paid a huge price. But, everything from buying the tickets to flying went very smoothly. You can also try Bestfares.com, they have a few good deals. I also found a roundtrip ticket on travelocity.com to NJ for $200.

Gooch, you can save a bunch flying out here to Cali by leaving from Philly. I was surprised at the price difference (assuming you live in NJ, you may be in NY).

- drusilla - 10-01-2002

i have had good luck with expedia & orbitz. priceline & hotwire aren't so great. cheap tickets isn't so bad either. i'd just compare prices & go with the one you like best

- Arpikarhu - 10-01-2002

i use expedia all the time. that and travelocity. love them both, never a problem

- Is Don on the phone? - 10-02-2002

I have found Travelocity to be cheaper, but I always check the carriers and expedia before I buy. Spending a few hours checking prices can save you big bucks. By the way, if you are flying international and need to change planes, check the price for buying both legs seperately - I saved almost $200 doing this when I went to Kenya-I bought a $350 round trip to Amsterdam, and a $300 round trip from AMS to Nairobi. Northwest/KLM wanted $895 for the same set of flights, and all I had to do was check in at the gate in Amsterdam rather than walk directly to the flight. And yes, your bags do connect automatically, just tell the agent at the check in desk where you are headed to.

- Danked - 10-02-2002

It'll be great. We can all go to breakfast at Barney's. :thumbs-up:

- Galt - 10-02-2002

I've added another trip. Now, I'm going to Vegas in January

- Hey Ladi - 10-02-2002

Quote:It'll be great. We can all go to breakfast at Barney's.
do they actually serve food? or just 'produce'?