CDIH
Roy jones jr. - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Roy jones jr. (/showthread.php?tid=3669)

- GonzoStyle - 10-04-2002

Jones today signed a document outlining basically under what terms he would fight WBA heavyweight champion, John Ruiz. This would be the first time in decades that the light heavy champion faced a heavyweight "title holder", since Lewis is the world wide recognized heavyweight champ. But still fighting a heavyweight is a feat upon itself. I think it is a huge mistake on jones part, he will lose. No matter how bad a heavyweight is, they are still heavyweights. In boxing every few pounds count. In our eyes someone fighting at 147 who has to face a 154 pounder doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is huge. Jones fights at 175, probably walks around between 180-185. Ruiz is a natural 220-230 pound fighter. Ruiz would stand to make 5 million guaranteed, jones would make 7 million.

- Hybrid - 10-04-2002

i would let you kick my ass for 7 million too

- GonzoStyle - 10-05-2002

My answer to that has always been, "who would care?"

- diceisgod - 10-05-2002

Don't underestimate the talent of Roy. If he fights Ruiz he will win.

- Hybrid - 10-05-2002

what

The point is, people say "I would take 20 million to fight tyson". But they fail to see the only reason fights like this make so much money is because of the interest generated. No one would pay to see tyson whoop "your" ass.

I never under estimate jones, but in history no light heavyweight ever had sucess at heavyweight. Jones doesn't have as strong a punch as many people think, he just punches in bunches and the toll of the punches destroys you, much like Muhammed Ali and Marciano did. Jones also leaves himself a wide open target, while most light heavies can't put a dent in him, ruiz is used to fighting the likes of holyfield, and other heavyweights. Jones will not be able to KO ruiz, do you honestly think Jones can last 12 rounds with a heavyweight?

- Hybrid - 10-05-2002

i'm just saying, if you were a fighter, a good one, but you knew you couldnt win a match(like you say about this one), wouldnt you take 7 mil to get your ass kicked?

Not at the risk of destroying my legacy. Especially since jones can make that much in 2 fights staying at light heavy, fighting his first decent challange in years, Antonio Tarver.

- Arpikarhu - 10-05-2002

jones hasnt fought any one of consequence in a dogs age. he getting soft.

- GonzoStyle - 10-21-2002

Quote:Jones to try his hand in heavyweight division

Roy Jones Jr. is reportedly ready for the next step.

Jones will make the jump to the heavyweight ranks, fighting WBA champion John Ruiz on March 1 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas (HBO PPV), according to a report Monday in USA Today.

"It's a done deal. It's for real," Jones attorney Fred Levin told USA Today. "There is no way out for anybody. Everything is set for it to be a monstrous fight."

Jones, the undisputed light heavyweight champion, signed an agreement with Don King to fight for $10 million, plus a percentage of any profits.

Ruiz's take is only 40 percent of the profits and will get no guaranteed money, according to the newspaper.

"The deal is done. Everybody has signed. I'm predicting a million and a half (pay-per-view) buys," said King to the newspaper.

Got that off ESPN.com

Roy can kiss his ass and career goodbye.

Roy hasn't had a big punch in almost a decade now. Since he moved up from 160. Granted he had a great showing against Toney, 10 years ago. His best showing since has been Montell Griffith, but he was a mediocore fighter who wouldn't have been considered if jones didn't get DQ'ed in the fight.

Roy has a good punch, his main arsenal is his lighting speed, chin and punching accuracy in bunches, wearing his opponent down. He is basically the Ali of the light heavies, just has nowhere near the resume.

Now people argue wether a fighter moving up 5-10 pounds can carry his speed and power. Jones will have to get up to atleast 200, AT LEAST!!. This is going up from 175, that is 25 pounds, of muscle he has to put on in less than 5 months. How much of his power and speed will he be able to bring up.

Factor in the non-experience of feeling the power of a heavyweight. Ruiz, bad or not, has been a heavyweight his entire career. If holyfield couldn't get past him or Kirk Johnson, how does Roy think he will?

He will not just lose, he may end his career. If Roy can't get rid of mediocore light heavy's quickly, how will he get rid of a heavyweight, who is not some journeyman? Let's not look past his height as well, this is a huge mistake.

- Teenweek - 10-21-2002

Quote:He will not just lose, he may end his career. If Roy can't get rid of mediocore light heavy's quickly, how will he get rid of a heavyweight, who is not some journeyman? Let's not look past his height as well, this is a huge mistake.

Roy Jones did not end those fights early because it was more sparring than fighting. I can't even remember teh last time someone landed a meaningful punch on Roy Jones. Look at some of his fights. He played in a basketball game before one. Roy Jones has not been tested. He is one of the top fighters in the world. He is way too quick for Ruiz. He will probably not knock him out, but Ruiz will not hit him either. I think it will be 11 or 12 rounds of Jones hitting him and Ruiz chasing him. Jones is not dumb. He is an incredibly smart business man. He would not go into this fight if he thought thhere would be a problem of him winning.

Quote:I never under estimate jones, but in history no light heavyweight ever had sucess at heavyweight.
Ever hear of Evander Holyfield. He moved up in weight class and became a pretty good Heavyweight champion. He was cruiserweight champ in 1988. WOn the Heavyweight title for first time in 1990.

- Gooch - 10-21-2002

I completely disagree, Gonzy. Jones has not been challenged enough. He will rise and defeat Ruiz quite handedly. Sugar Ray was always smaller than his opponents...and Jones is big and strong, albiet not a heavyweight. His speed, power, and most importantly, his laser-like aim, will be too much for Ruiz to handle. Ruiz is an overrated pug, anyway.

Now, unless Jones bulks up, the rest of the heavyweight division, save perhaps Chris Byrd, is unapproachable for him. Ruiz, really, is his best choice as a test.

- GonzoStyle - 10-21-2002

Quote:Ever hear of Evander Holyfield. He moved up in weight class and became a pretty good Heavyweight champion. He was cruiserweight champ in 1988. WOn the Heavyweight title for first time in 1990.

Yeah I heard of Evander Holyfield one of the best Cruiserweights ever. Now explain to me what he has to do with the light heavyweight division? Cruiserweights fight at 190, Light Heavyweights fight at 175.

Yes Jones played in a basketball game, all of what 5 or 8 minutes? He didn't play the entire game, he spent most of the time on the bench. The was a PR move, he probably expnaded more energy building up a sweat before his walk out to the ring. Lets remember he fought a non-threat that night as well. Jones has not been tested but that is the whole point, he has gotten to a comfort level that he has held over the course of the last I would say 8 years.

Quote:Jones is not dumb. He is an incredibly smart business man. He would not go into this fight if he thought thhere would be a problem of him winning.

Do you think any great fighter thinks they can ever lose? Do you honestly think Ali didn't go into the Holmes fight honestly believing he could beat Holmes? Plus Jones is everybit as egotistical as Ali was, but Ali had the right to be. Jones has been feeding on his own bullshit for so long, even he is starting to believe it.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jones is probably the purest athelet in almost any sport. I think he is the best I have probably ever seen, the mans skill is godly. But at Light heavy, Middleweight, & super middleweight.

Once again you mention his speed and power, no way he carries that upwards of an extra 25 pounds on his frame. Look at the difference between the sugar ray robinson at welter and the one at middleweight. Look what happened to even the great archie moore when he moved up, Michael Spinks, etc. They were all dominant and seemingly unbeatable at their lower weightclasses, then they moved up.