CDIH
Red dragon - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Red dragon (/showthread.php?tid=3710)

- GonzoStyle - 10-10-2002

Anyone seen it yet?

This movie looks so fuckin sweet, looks like it will make up a lot for Hannibal. I am more excited about Ralph Feinnes than anyone else in the movie. He is such a perfect fuckin fit for the character. Also having Hopkins play a different Lecter than he had in the other two movies is pretty sweet in itself, the lecter in Red Dragon is much different from Silence and Hannibal, personality wise he had much more angst in him cause he has just gotten into prison, in silence he had already been there for sometime.

- LZMF1 - 10-10-2002

all 3 books were great. as far as the movies go silence was great and hannibal was so-so. i of course am curious about red dragon and plan on seeing it soon.

I wanna see manhunter before I see red dragon, I haven't seen manhunter in ages. I am actually tempted to see this in the theaters, I have seen 2 movies in the theaters in the last 10 years, neither time was cause I really wanted to. This one has my attention though.

- kindred - 10-10-2002

Quote:looks like it will make up a lot for Hannibal
NOTHING can make up for that mess of a movie and book. That was a complete disaster from beginning to end.

I've seen Manhunter but it's been years. I have a feeling Manhunter and Red Dragon are going to be vastly different. I definitely want to see Red Dragon now.

- Ken'sPen - 10-10-2002

saw it and it was good,
I saw Manhunter AFTER I saw Lambs, and was let down by the actor playing Lecter.
it was a good effort
very enjoyable.

- PollyannaFlower46 - 10-10-2002

I saw Red Dragon this weekend. It was good, but I thought it was a bit slow moving at times. The acting over all was really good, and I liked the way the movie ended...it kinda ties everything together. I never saw Manhunter, actually never even heard of it till the other night when my friend mentioned it.

Well in the book, lecter only is in like 10 pages of the book. He is not a major character at all. In Manhunter, Hanibal was also not a major player. Naturally they added a lot of new dialouge. There was only 1 visit between lecter and the detective in the book, there are supposed to be 3 in the movie. So naturally, visually, story wise, and acting this version has to be much different.

- Keyser Soze - 10-10-2002

The commercials look great, I can't wait to see this. Word on the street is that the Red Dragon is Welsh.

- Teenweek - 10-10-2002

Loved the movie. Fiennes was a sick fucking bastard in this movie. Lecter was great and I love Ed Norton.

- PollyannaFlower46 - 10-10-2002

For the ladies, you see a pecker...sorta...you'll understand if you see it.

- Teenweek - 10-10-2002

And lots of shots of man ass.

- LyricalGomez - 10-10-2002

I was acctually a bit worried when I first saw that Fiennes was going to play Dolarhyde, mainly because I felt Norton would be perfect for the part (He'd have to bulk up a bit and look more like he did in AHX but it would work) but after seeing the movie twice I have to say nobody else could have pulled it off the way Fiennes did.

In some ways this movie surpasses Silence, but in others it falls short....First the positive, the killer in Silence has and always will suck, plain and simple he was a horrible character that felt out of place in the masterpiece.....The killer in Red Dragon is so beyond cool it's scary, I wish they would have fleshed out the story of how he became the dragon a bit more, but I guess if they had to cut down for time it was a good place to do it....Overall there is pretty much no bad performance in this movie, but I have to say I loved the chemistry between Norton and Keitel the best (biggest suprise was Harvey did'nt cuss)

Now he bad...Well, not really bad but somewhat disappointing, I felt that Norton and Hopkins, as brilliant as both of them are, just did'nt mesh together as well as Hopkins and Foster. Also they should have cut down on the whole relationship talk between Fiennes and Watson, cut down on that, and add in some more about his history and you would have had a movie that surpasses Silence.

Overall it's lightyears ahead of Hannibal, but not quite as good as Silence...But I would definetly go see this in theatres, certain moments just won't be duplicated watching it at home

- Ken'sPen - 10-10-2002

their is a Welsh Dragon,
and it is red...

but it is a painting in the movie,
and symbolized with a mah jong tile.

Ken is so smart.

- PollyannaFlower46 - 10-12-2002

I've never read any of the books in the series, but I've seen all the movies, I don't have much time for pleasure reading because of school, but are the books that much better? If so, I'd definitely tackle the series....and should I read them in a certain order?

- drusilla - 10-12-2002

i've seen manhunter a lot, but never really remembered much from it. red dragon was really good. really creepy. there should have been more hannibal though.

i saw hannibal & thought it could be really really good if i hadn't just seen Anthony Hopkins in "Titus". Titus was shakepeare's nastiest play. It's an amazing story & hopkins did a great job. the problem with hannibal was the hopkins played both titus & hannibal the same exact way. it was like watching the same movie when he was on screen.

titus was way better though - so i so reccommend Titus to anyone. it's fucking sick. it so wonderful.

- GonzoStyle - 10-12-2002

Quote:there should have been more hannibal though.

Well from what I read in a review and in comparison to the book. Lecters scenes were really mulitplied in the film. The whole capture scene in the movie, in the book there is only 1 visit to lecters cell. In the movie there are 3 and he has little to no dialouge in the book.

Someone said before and I agree that the difference between silence and hannibal was the fact that lecter was not the main character and you yearned to see him and they teased you, that is what made it great. Naturally the other members of the cast were 100X better in silence than hannibal.

- drusilla - 10-13-2002

yeah the movie is different from the book. but you can always use more hannibal.

i saw hopkins went i went to a taping of conan o'brien & he was awesome as a guest. but last night in the movie when they showed an extrememe close -up for a second i was like "holy crap, that man was 10 feet away from me the other day"

- PatCooper - 10-13-2002

Saw it this afternoon. I thought it was excellent. 110 times better than hannibal. And pretty Damn close to Silence. I thought Ed Norton was great and so was the entire cast. I liked the story between Fines and the blind girl. It made the fines character look more human and less like a monster type of killer. I recomend it everyone.