CDIH
Boxing on hbo - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Boxing on hbo (/showthread.php?tid=4059)

- GonzoStyle - 11-02-2002

Just letting the boxing fans know. Saturday on HBO boxing after dark. Marco Antonio Barrera is taking on Johnny Tapia, has the potential of a great fight. Also has the potential to be a borefest, all depends on who shows up. The tough as nails tapia or the old and worn out tapia. The non stop action barrera or the catious barrera.

Still worth the watch.

In 2 weeks on PPV as well, Paulie Ayala takes on Erik Morales.

It's a partner switch off so to speak.

Barrera has Fought Morrales twice

Ayala has Fought Tapia twice as well.

Barrera and Morrales split their two fights at a win a piece.

Ayala handed tapia 2 losses, both of which were his first two and only 2 so far. Both decisions were highly controversial.

- Hey Ladi - 11-02-2002

how do you score in boxing? are there different points for different spots?

- Ants in My Pants - 11-02-2002

November 23, Arturo Gatti vs. Mickey Ward!!!

- Gooch - 11-02-2002

thanks for the heads'up...didn't realize that was on tonight :toast:

- GonzoStyle - 11-02-2002

Boxing is scored on a 10 point must system.

Each fighter gets scored on 10 points cause it is an even number so to speak and easy to work with. The fighter who loses the round loses a point so the roun is scored 10 - 9. If the fighter is knocked down he loses a point for each knockdown, so the winner of the round gets 10 points while the loser gets 1 point subtracted for losing the round and another for being knocked down.

You can also lose a point on a foul, such as; a low blow, kidney punch, or hitting while someone is already down.

So for example say fighter a wins the round and knocks fighter b down twice the round is scored 10-7. The winner of the round can also lose a point if he commits a foul, so a round can be scored 9 - 9.

Even rounds are rare but do happen.

There are 3 judges who score the fight, unfortunatly not everyone scores the same and you get controversial decisions. Like a draw or majority decision.

You add up all the points for the rounds and you have your totals. A blow out in a 12 round fight would be 120 - 108. That is if a fighter won every round.

in the old days it was just a point a round, no extra points for a knock down and such. Whomever won the round won just that. So back in the day during a 15 round fight a decision would be 9-6.

Quote:November 23, Arturo Gatti vs. Mickey Ward!!!

The second installment, hopefully it might be even better or just as good. So far I have Gatti Vs. Ward I, as my fight of the year. Delahoya Vs. Vargas might win cause of name recognition but every boxing fan knows what the real fight of the year is, so far.

- FAST FREDDY - 11-03-2002

Johnny Tapia is the greatest boxer, EVER!

[Image: tapia.jpg]

Confusedmokey:

- GonzoStyle - 11-03-2002

Far from greatest ever but definetly ONE of the best ever, his ticket to the hall of fame was signed years ago. Unfortunatly he is reaching Holyfield status now. For him to even act surprised when he heard he lost yesterday was silly. For him to then say he had to chase barrera was even more silly, chase him when? Tapia's face was so marked up even Ike Turner woulda said "Damn!". Barrera is at the top of his game and Tapia is at the tails end of his.

- Hey Ladi - 11-03-2002

:thumbs-up: hey thanks

- GonzoStyle - 11-03-2002

My pleasure.