CDIH
Volunteering - For the soul... or for the birds? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Volunteering - For the soul... or for the birds? (/showthread.php?tid=407)

- 82-1012268026 - 02-12-2002

Over the weekend I had the opportunity to do some volunteer work. Not just road clean up, or clubbing baby seals, but I actually got to work at Ground Zero.

From the start, this project took 20 hours out of my schedule and I had to pay tolls to get there. When you have no income... money influences many decisions that you make. But, I spent the 20 bucks and went for the ride into Manhattan.

Now many people volunteer for many different reasons... to make a difference, to feel good about their pathetic existence, photo ops... whatever. Overall, I had a good time and was wondering if any others here have had similar experiences or whether you think volunteering is just for convicts and rubes.

Are you... Angel
are you... :burnfucker:

Or just... :fuggin:

Edited By Ree on Feb. 11 2002 at 7:54

- Arpikarhu - 02-12-2002

i generally go with the Ayn Rand philosophy on this issue

- NaughtyAngel - 02-12-2002

im too fucking lazy to volunteer

- Hybrid - 02-12-2002

only if it's for the right cause, as it was in your case.

- fbd - 02-12-2002

i volunteer my time fairly often, but it really does depend on the cause and what i'll be doing.i know it sounds wrong, but i just cant take old people, so you'll never see me do nursing home work, but almost every tuesday i go back to my old grade school and help kids with their homework for about an hour and a half, and i do other stuff from time to time, too

- Arpikarhu - 02-12-2002

Quote:almost every tuesday i go back to my old grade school and help kids
i cant believe none of them have complained to their parents about the mandatory hernia checks you do

- PollyannaFlower46 - 02-12-2002

I think it all depends on the cause as well. When I was younger, I worked with kids who had Downs Syndrome, and helped them do their homework etc. Sometimes it was pretty hard because I was the same age as they were physically, but mentally they were only 3 or 4. I wanted to volunteer after 9/11 as well, but I was never really in the right emotional stage to do so, and by the time the Red Cross contacted me again I was back in school and couldn't work the times they needed me. Over the summer, I would like to do something again, most likely with children.

- Galt - 02-12-2002

I figure, how can I directly benefit from this.

If the answer is "it will make me feel good" that's not good enough for me.

If the answer is "you'll get paid for it" then it's not volunteering and I'm all for it.

I volunteer to pay a lot of taxes instead of going to jail, so I figure that's good.

- WhipThisFez - 02-12-2002

I'll donate my penis.

(First person that says "At least it will be put to good use" or "at least it'll finally see some action" I will hunt you down and tear your own genitals off)

- Gooch - 02-12-2002

Arpikarhu Wrote:i generally go with the Ayn Rand philosophy on this issue

You go with the free market capitalistic system? Wow, that's pretty swell. :fuggin:

Quote:I'll donate my penis.

(First person that says "At least it will be put to good use" or "at least it'll finally see some action" I will hunt you down and tear your own genitals off)

"at least it'll finally see some action" or "At least it will be put to good use"

Edited By Gooch on Feb. 11 2002 at 8:48

- Sephiroth - 02-12-2002

WhipThisFez Wrote:I'll donate my penis.

Wont that require removing it from CBH's anus first?

- PollyannaFlower46 - 02-12-2002

WhipThisFez Wrote:(First person that says "At least it will be put to good use" or "at least it'll finally see some action" I will hunt you down and tear your own genitals off)
At least it will be put to good use.

- Brokenjaw - 02-12-2002

I never did any volunnteer work persay, but what I have done was more along the lines of community service, and road clean-up. Those orange jackets they give you to put on are kick ass.

- WhipThisFez - 02-12-2002

PollyannaFlower46 Wrote:
WhipThisFez Wrote:(First person that says "At least it will be put to good use" or "at least it'll finally see some action" I will hunt you down and tear your own genitals off)
At least it will be put to good use.
You're one dead bitch. Confuseduicide:

- 82-1012268026 - 02-12-2002

Quote:Fezzy said: I'll donate my penis.

Who will be honored with this penguin penis?

- Arpikarhu - 02-12-2002

Quote:You go with the free market capitalistic system? Wow, that's pretty swell.
what a simplistic encapsulation of her philosophy. there is another side to it other than her politcal, market views. try reading some Ayn Rand other than the fountainhead or atlas shrugged before displaying your colossal ignorance.

- Galt - 02-12-2002

You get 'em Arpi

- IkeaBoy - 02-12-2002

it's not really for me in the way that I Can't see it benefitting me in anyway. I also have this condition where I can't see myself caring about people enough to put forth the effort.

- Arpikarhu - 02-12-2002

Galt Wrote:You get 'em Arpi
this combined with your name made me laugh so hard i almost puked

- 82-1012268026 - 02-13-2002

Wait... can you also get a tax break from volunteering?

...if it is.. you can be sitting on a GOLD MINE TREBEK!!

:poison: :fuckoff: