CDIH
New front page - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: New front page (/showthread.php?tid=4286)

Pages: 1 2 3

- GonzoStyle - 11-25-2002

First off let me apologze for my absence, I have just had a lot of shit come down on me at once. My personal life has called for me to take a hiatus from the board but I have been involved and have been checking in.

I did come back to do this post though. A while back I said that we were working on a few things and this was the main thing we were working on. A front page which basically I wanted to do cause it looks better than what we had and it makes the users experience nicer and easier. Once again we have Jack mostly to thank for it, he took my vision and not only did it but did it 10 times better than I could have hoped.

I know at first glance it may look like it shouldn't have taken long to do but it did. We went through several redesigns.

One of the newest features is a chat room, it's not meant to be a replacement for foundry chat. The reason I am doing this post is to difuse any rumors or false conclusions as to it's design. The chat room is for use if there are a few people on in the afternoon who would like to chat, since foundry is empty during the day. Plus there are people who do not like going to foundry.

Secondly this was my main concern, I do not want any misunderstandings with this. You will notice an "articles" section, now a few of you will think "OTL.com" when you hear the word articles, that is not my intent nor the intent of anyone here.

First off I want to say that you do not have to go to this front page. This is strictly done for one reason and none other than for you members. The articles are meant to get your minds thinking, to get your juices flowing. The main thing I want to gain from the articles is to give you people who don't start posts or who don't have something to discuss a little boost. Or atleast it will be an interesting read I hope.

I didn't want the OTL feel mainly cause there are no banners and never will be banners here, nor any today on cdih boxes. Also by article I don't mean there will be movie reviews or music reviews, I mean actual articles and opinions.

I wrote two articles cause VG couldn't get hers in due to personal reasons. I didn't read the other articles but I am sure they are great. Mine probably suck cause I just wrote them an hour ago but we wanted to get this up a.s.a.p and didn't wanna procrastinate with it anymore.

If someone other than a mod wants to write something they may do so. Maybe you have something that you think wouldn't make a great post but would still make a good statement, please feel free to send it to myself or any mod.

The rest of the stuff is rather elementary and is explained by jack in his article. It took us all a couple months to get this here and we hope you enjoy it.

You will notice a new forum, all the articles you see on the front page can be found in there. Members can not start posts but can reply to them. Please feel free to start a post in one of the other forums if you disagree, agree, or hate an article, that is the whole point.

I am really tired and have a long day ahead of me. I just wanted to clear everything up before people got the wrong idea.

If you do not get what I mean by front page. The front page is where you go to enter the board which is <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cdih.net">http://www.cdih.net</a><!-- m -->

I miss you guys and I'll be back soon hopefully, the bowling tourney is still on. I just have to work a few snippets out.

I also want to thank all the people who donated money, it was greatly appreciated and helped more than you can imagine cause I don't have two nickels to rub this month.

- Jack - 11-25-2002

Oops.. seems I goofed a little bit. It is now up. I thought it was earlier when he posted this but I guess it wasn't.

- Brokenjaw - 11-25-2002

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

- DGW - 11-25-2002

this went way over my head

I guess my theory on breaking it down so simply that a child could understand it, fails yet again. Nevermind then, why bother.

- Maynard - 11-25-2002

What could you possibly NOT understand in your post?

I think you guys did a great job.

Well it's like I can't get a read with anyone here. Is it ok, does it suck. I mean this wasn't done cause we enjoy staying up all hours of the night, it was done cause we wanted to do something nice for you all. If it sucks just say so, how can we improve it?

The Suggestion button is there for a reason and not for hybrid to send "Hi" PM's.

Theres a bunch of people logged in and no one is posting, whats the problem? I would rather hear it out than have it end up like on oa, with people only saying stuff outside the board. This is a democracy here, the members opinion is always the most valued one. If I am the problem, please just say it.

- DGW - 11-25-2002

after further reading in different threads i saw
but i still see no chat option

That chat option is on this elusive front page they keep mentioning, there is a link to the front page at the top, to the right of the banner where it says "CDIH.net".

- Keyser Soze - 11-25-2002

the front page is <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.CDIH.net">http://www.CDIH.net</a><!-- m -->

- PollyannaFlower46 - 11-25-2002

When I first opened the page before I read this post, it took me a few minutes to figure out how to get to the actual message board. I haven't looked around yet since I'm at work...but this sure was confusing when I got here....probably just because I'm really a blonde.

- Brokenjaw - 11-25-2002

I like it, it's cool. Now if Jack could only give me spell check.. I would be in heaven. :thumbs-up:

Edited By Brokenjaw on 1038258650

- Goatweed - 11-25-2002

BJ, have you tried IESpell?

- Weird NJ - 11-25-2002

xmasskinforfrontpageplz :thumbs-up:

- GonzoStyle - 11-26-2002

I wanna apologize if I came off like an Asshole. I was just paranoid I guess, my main concern is people being happy here and in trying to achieve that I may try too hard or expect too much. I know people appreciate what is done for them and those who don't, well you can't please everyone.

Thanks all.

- Is Don on the phone? - 11-28-2002

This place rocks - you are doing a great job!

- Weird NJ - 11-28-2002

Yes. I agree with Don. I like the new front page.

Gonzo, I think you are being way hard on yourself. I think most of us see that. You are doing a great job with the site so accept the praise and go with it. We all tend to overreact sometimes.
You talk about this site as being by the people and for the people. That's the way I see it, but I also realize that no 5 people will think the same thing. I like some of the changes, but frankly I don't care so much about it as long as I have a place to hang out. :thumbs-up: :toast:

- fbd - 11-28-2002

Quote:Gonzo, I think you are being way hard on yourself.
nah, really? gonzo is never over self-critical...

serriously, you constantly bend over backwards for the board. everybody appreciates it, even though not everybody is happy about everything. sometimes its just something that one or two dont like, other times its somebody being an ass, but you please the vast majority, so stop trying so hard to please everyone. you cant. stop. now.

i dont see stopping...

Edited By fbdlingfrg on 1038462239

- FNMoron - 11-28-2002

i haven't seen anything new... this place sucks :loveya:

- Maynard - 11-28-2002

All new changes.....same old moron. :thumbs-up: