CDIH
2003 Baseball Hall of Fame ballot - featuring Mitch Williams - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: 2003 Baseball Hall of Fame ballot - featuring Mitch Williams (/showthread.php?tid=4351)

Pages: 1 2

- Sir O - 12-05-2002

The complete ballot (*-first time eligible; #-final year on ballot; %-percentage of the vote last year):

Bert Blyleven (26.27%)
Brett Butler*
Gary Carter (72.67%)
Vince Coleman*
Dave Concepcion (11.86%)
Darren Daulton*
Mark Davis*
Andre Dawson (45.34%)
Sid Fernandez*
Steve Garvey (28.39%)
Rich Gossage (43.01%)
Keith Hernandez (6.14%)
Rick Honeycutt*
Danny Jackson*
Tommy John (26.91%)
Jim Kaat# (23.09%)
Darryl Kile*
Don Mattingly (20.34%)
Jack Morris (20.55%)
Dale Murphy (14.83%)
Eddie Murray*
Dave Parker (13.98%)
Tony Pena*
Jim Rice (55.08%)
Ryne Sandberg*
Lee Smith*
Bruce Sutter (50.42%)
Danny Tartabull*
Mickey Tettleton*
Alan Trammell (15.68%)
Fernando Valenzuela*
Mitch Williams*
Todd Worrell*

Quick voting overview:

* Ballots sent out to 400+ BBWAA eligible writers/voters.

* A voter can name up to 10 people on his ballot. A voter *does not* have to list 10 people on his ballot, or even *anyone* on his ballot. You can return a empty ballot if you think no one is worthy.

* To get into the Hall through BBWAA voting, a player needs to be named on 75% of the ballots *returned*. Ballots not returned aren't counted as a "voter". Returned "empty ballots" are counted was a returned ballot.

* to be eligible, a player must be retired 5 years, with rare exceptions like Kile this year.

* you stay on the ballot for 15 years, unless you (i) get voted in, or (ii) fall under 5% in the voting.

So...who goes in?

- The Sleeper - 12-05-2002

Quote:Darryl Kile*
so touching :'(

- Arpikarhu - 12-05-2002

Quote:So...who goes in?
we dont know, they havent voted yet.duh!

Quote:Darryl Kile*

this motherfucker blew my whole rotisserie season. the guy had a family history of this problem yet never got a checkup! i hope he burns in Hell!!

- Teenweek - 12-05-2002

Quote:this motherfucker blew my whole rotisserie season. the guy had a family history of this problem yet never got a checkup! i hope he burns in Hell!!

Yeah fuck him for going out and dying when it cost you a win in a fantasy league.

- Arpikarhu - 12-05-2002

Quote:Yeah fuck him for going out and dying when it cost you a win in a fantasy league.
exactly!! selfish fucking prick!!!

- GonzoStyle - 12-05-2002

Quote:Brett Butler

Not even a fuckin doubt he belongs.

Quote:Jim Rice

The fact that he is not already there is fuckin stupid.

Quote:Don Mattingly

Selfish bastard, hope he never makes it.

- Arpikarhu - 12-05-2002

Quote:Don Mattingly

Selfish bastard, hope he never makes it.

this hurt me in ways i could never explain.

The fuckin guy stole some poor kids popcorn, fuckin selfish fuck. Donny Greedball was one of the most selfish players to ever don a uniform, I despise him.

- Arpikarhu - 12-05-2002

you are the source of all that is evil

The only Yankee captain that never won a world series, I am so happy about that. Roger Clemens wins a ring with the yankees and mattingly never did, hahahahahahahaha.

- Arpikarhu - 12-05-2002

STOP IT!!!!!

- Teenweek - 12-05-2002

mattingly was the greatest. My favorite yankee player in my lifetime. The popcorn thing was classic. And also he gave that kid an autographed bat and ball too.

Teenweek's opinion doesn't count since he doesn't know anything but what is cut and pasted.

Mattingly was a horrible captain and a bad influence on the team, hence why we didn't start winning again till after he left. Greedy little bitch that he was, I hope Daryl Kile makes it in and Mattingly has to wait yet again.

- Arpikarhu - 12-05-2002

:fingers in ears: i'm not listening. lalalalalalalalala! :fingers in ears:

- JimmyBlueEyes - 12-05-2002

Gary Carter, absofuckinlutely. Andre Dawson, next year. Vince Coleman, no fuckin way. Same for Mattingly. He doesn't deserve it. Gossage yup. Jim Rice should have been inducted years ago. Jack Morris and Dave Parker, same thing. Ryne Sandberg, yes. Dominant player. Hernandez lost a lot of my respect when he backtracked on his statement that the Mets gave up this season. He had a lot of balls to say it and should have had the balls to stand by his remarks. I'm actually surprised guys like Steve Garvey and Dave Concepcion haven't already been inducted. While I sympathize with Cards fans everywhere on the loss of Daryl Kile, I don't think dying in the middle of the season qualifies as an automatic nomination to the Hall of Fame. Confusedmokey:

- Arpikarhu - 12-05-2002

Quote:Hernandez lost a lot of my respect when he backtracked on his statement that the Mets gave up this season
and this should mean anything to the voters why?

they have already let so many marginal players in, they should just let them all in.

- krahzee - 12-06-2002

Mattingly: not enough good years. Had the back injury never happened, maybe. But since he fucked his back up he was never the same.

Carter: I'm shocked he wasn't first ballot. The guy had amazing stats and was probably the best catcher of his era. On top of all of that, he was a classy guy surrounded by a bunch of coke heads and assholes (see Strawberry, Gooden, Dykstra, ect...)

- Sir O - 12-06-2002

Bert Blyleven (26.27%) - It's a real shame he isn't in already. He played mostly for subpar teams, but still won almost 300 games in his career. He's simply the best eligible pitcher not yet in the Hall. Roughly in the same class as Ryan and Sutton.

Brett Butler* - Good, solid leadoff hitter. Not a Hall of Famer, not even close really.

Gary Carter (72.67%) - Top 5 all-time catcher (with Berra, Bench, Cochrane and Piazza). It's almost an embarassment that he's not in already, though that will likely change this year.

Vince Coleman* - No.

Dave Concepcion (11.86%) - He's borderline, but I don't see it. Great defense but only decent at bat, with a career .267 average and .679 OPS.

Darren Daulton* - At his best in 90, 92, and 93, he was an outstanding catcher. That's about it really. No chance.

Mark Davis* - No.

Andre Dawson (45.34%) - He's probably borderline, but I'd vote for him. Great defensively until injuries took their toll, and consistent at bat from 77 to 93, putting up excellent numbers in hitter-unfriendly Montreal before breaking out in Wrigley. Probably top 15 all time CF, and definitely a more worthy candidate than Rice, Parker, and Murphy.

Sid Fernandez* - Love the guy, but no.

Steve Garvey (28.39%) - No. Good, not great, and certainly not a HOFer.

Rich Gossage (43.01%) - Should get in, but probably won't, at least for a while. Best reliever in his time, when relievers were more valuable than they are today.

Keith Hernandez (6.14%) - Best defensive 1B ever and a lifetime .296 hitter playing in very hitter-unfriendly parks and before the juiced ball era. He belongs in.

Rick Honeycutt* - No.

Danny Jackson* - No.

Tommy John (26.91%) - Marginal, he had a solid career, but not HOF worthy. He'll likely get in at some point, probably by the vet, which is fine by me. I wouldn't vote for him though.

Jim Kaat# (23.09%) - See Tommy John.

Darryl Kile* - No.

Don Mattingly (20.34%) - No. Keith was a better hitter and a better fielder. Good player, but vastly overrated by many.

Jack Morris (20.55%) - No. In a class below John and Kaat.

Dale Murphy (14.83%) - No. Was helped greatly by playing in The Launching Pad, but a look at his home/road splits tells the whole story. He had a good career, but falls way short.

Eddie Murray* - Should be an automatic first ballot HOFer. One of the top 10 1B of all time. I could see the media bias against Eddie keeping him out this year, which is a shame, because he never really got the credit he deserved.

Dave Parker (13.98%) - Nah. He was amazing from 77 to 79, and very good from 75 to 85. The rest of his career ranges from passable to downright awful. Better than Jim Rice, but not as good as Dawson.

Tony Pena* - No. He was solid, but falls way short.

Jim Rice (55.08%) - No. He, like Murphy, was a good hitter who was helped a ton by playing in a hitter friendly park. Had a nice peak from 77 to 79, and was good but not as good his numbers would indicate. Then he fell of a cliff in 87 at the age of 34. One of the most overrated players ever to play the game.

Ryne Sandberg* - He definitely belongs in. He's a top 10 2B of all time - then again, so was Lou Whitaker, and nobody even noticed when he was on the ballot. I think he'll make it, just not this year.

Lee Smith* - Wildly overrated, he wasn't half the pitcher that Sutter and Gossage were. Unfortunately, his inflated career saves total will probably influence voters to vote for him over more worthy relievers. It's a shame, really.

Bruce Sutter (50.42%) - He belongs in yesterday. He was every bit as good as Gossage, Rollie Fingers, and the like.

Danny Tartabull* - No.

Mickey Tettleton* - No.

Alan Trammell (15.68%) - He's really a very underrated player. Not quite as good as Concepcion defensively but worlds better offensively. One of the top 10 at his position, but that only lasts for maybe another 5-10 years as we see how the current crop shakes out. Still, I think top ten all-time at your position 130 years into the history of MLB... that tends to be a definition of a HOFer. Trammell is better than more than half the SS in the HOF, and is very deserving (along with Lou Whitaker...).

Fernando Valenzuela* - He was amazing for a brief period in the mid 80's before his arm blew up, but overall he's not even close.

Mitch Williams* - No.

Todd Worrell* - No.

My ballot would be: Bert Blyleven, Gary Carter, Andre Dawson, Rich Gossage, Keith Hernandez, Eddie Murray, Ryne Sandberg, Bruce Sutter, Alan Trammell

Who I think will get voted in this year: Eddie Murray, Gary Carter

- FAST FREDDY - 12-06-2002

Fernando Valenzuela*

Funniest baseball player, ever.

Confusedmokey:

- Arpikarhu - 12-06-2002

i agree with sir o's analysis, except for mattinglys defense being overrated.