CDIH
Regionless & MultiStandard DVD Players? - What's the cheapest, with most options? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Regionless & MultiStandard DVD Players? - What's the cheapest, with most options? (/showthread.php?tid=4387)

- radioguy - 12-09-2002

I just got an APEX AD-1500, I always thought APEX sucked until I found out it (Unofficially) could play PAL and other regions (2+).

Since it's low on extra functions, I was wondering which has the most, while being MultiStandard and Regionless. (Officially, or not) :fucking:

- Arpikarhu - 12-10-2002

sounds like a scuzzi problem :clueless:

- radioguy - 12-10-2002

No, not IDE DVD-Rom drives, I'm talking about DVD-Video Players (Home Theatre etc.)

- Arpikarhu - 12-10-2002

then it must be an sdram network interface problem

- radioguy - 12-10-2002

Hmmm....yeah....OK........(backs up slowly).....

- Skitchr4u - 12-10-2002

you both just said a bunch of stuff that i didn't understand...can you elaborate for a stupid fellow...thank you

- Goatweed - 12-10-2002

From what I hear, the Apex region-free players are good considering the price. You can always pay more for a better player, but since you want a region-free player it'll cost ya a lot more than a standard player with tons of bells and whistles would. A brand that comes to mind is Malata.

Unless you watch a lot of Region 2 or other region dvd's, your best bet might be to get a hold of a region-free DVD-ROM drive for your computer, or at least one with a hackable BIOS, along with a cracked copy of Power DVD 4 (I don't have either one, but I've read that both can be found easily) and watch your non-region 1 dvd's that way - I'm sure it would be a much cheaper option than a stand-alone player.

- Skitchr4u - 12-10-2002

If i am reading properly...region 1 is like all us made dvd's...and other countries or continents have their own regions??

- HollywoodJewMoses - 12-10-2002

apex products are the most underrated electronics products out there

20inch tv's for 120 dollars, i dont care how shitty it is, thats a good price

- LZMF1 - 12-10-2002

MDrive Mini DVD Player
i would have to assume that this is what you're looking for or something similar to it.

hmmmmm.....ok.

i just clicked the link and it took me to the main page. after clicking the link click on the DVD/VCD/MP3/TV icon and then click DVD and you'll see what i'm talking about.

Edited By LZMF1 on 1039538184

- Goatweed - 12-10-2002

Quote:If i am reading properly...region 1 is like all us made dvd's...and other countries or continents have their own regions??
Yuppers. Usually, the only difference in US dvd's vs. overseas dvd's are packaging, maybe special features, and audio settings (like Dolby 5.1 vs. DTS). I've only thought of getting one to watch the Star Wars trilogy on DVD (even though they're really boots), but I got my hands on SVCD boots here and they play in my player without a problem.

- LZMF1 - 12-10-2002

<span style='font-size:27pt;line-height:100%'>DVD Region Codes</span>

DVD region codes is a provision in the DVD Specification that requires DVD players to be hard-coded to accept DVDs that is only meant to be played within one of six designated world regions. A Code 1 disc cannot be played in a Code 3 DVD player for example. This technique was developed to enable Hollywood companies to release movies at different times in different regions.

DVD regions are defined as:
Region 1 - 1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
Region 2 - Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
Region 3 - Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
Region 4 - Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
Region 5 - 5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
Region 6 - Peoples Republic of China
Region 7 - Reserved
Region 8 - Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)

[Image: DVDRegionsMap.gif]

On some DVDs you will see Region 0 code, which means that these DVDs are "region free" and can be played on any DVD player.

Movies are released on DVD at different times around the world, typically America and Canada first, Australia and Japan 6 months later, and Europe 12 months after US release. In some instances, DVD movies are available for purchase in America and Canada before they are released in European cinemas.

According to OpenDVD.org, DVD players with region codes are illegal in New Zealand. Additionally, DVD regions are rumored to violate certain World Trade Organization laws.

Edited By LZMF1 on 1039540624