CDIH
Olympic hockey - Which team are you rooting for ? and why - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Olympic hockey - Which team are you rooting for ? and why (/showthread.php?tid=456)

- LZMF1 - 02-14-2002

Team USA all the way BAY-BEE!!!!!!!!!!!

i saw team usa dismantle the russian team at msg during the world cup of hockey in '96.

- slackjaw - 02-14-2002

Well, don't get your hopes up too high. This year's team USA is not expected to do too much. Most experts would not even place them in serious medal contention. The American team, while boasting some of the great players in the game, is an older team. On a larger rink, playing a much more wide open game, they will have trouble keeping up with the European teams.

Of course, the same experts would never have given them a chance to win the world cup in '96.

- Gooch - 02-15-2002

Russia is my pick...'Bulin wall will rule the games.

- Francine Banger - 02-15-2002

Their are 4 teams that are ahead of everybody else and the US is one of them. Those teams are Canada, Czech Republic, Russia, and the USA. There is no excuse for the USA to not make it to at least the Bronze Medal Game. They are definetly better than Sweden and Finland. Finland has no goaltending, and without Forsberg and Naslund, Sweden doesnt have any offense. The other 2 teams are qualifiers in Germany and Belarus and they wont do anything.

My prediction is

Canada- Gold
Russia- Silver
USA- Bronze

- LZMF1 - 02-15-2002

team usa has some of the most mobile defensemen so i don't think that they'll have any problems there.

the 'bulin wall will fall just like the berlin wall.

- LZMF1 - 02-16-2002

slackjaw Wrote:Well, don't get your hopes up too high. This year's team USA is not expected to do too much. Most experts would not even place them in serious medal contention. The American team, while boasting some of the great players in the game, is an older team. On a larger rink, playing a much more wide open game, they will have trouble keeping up with the European teams.

Of course, the same experts would never have given them a chance to win the world cup in '96.
well, even if they suck on ice, at least maybe they'll get drunk and trash their hotel rooms.

- LZMF1 - 02-16-2002

damn!!!!

team canada just had their asses handed to them by sweden.

how fucking embarassing. stupid canucks invent the game, go around talkin' mad shit and how they won't settle for less than gold. did you all see how embarrassed gretzky looked when they focused on him in the crowd? and how about lemieux? he was non-existant

- Francine Banger - 02-16-2002

It was just one game, Canada will be alright. Maybe this is the wake up call they needed, and better to get it out of the way early.

And I take back my remark about no Naslund for Sweden. god damn ESPN.com.

- LZMF1 - 02-16-2002

Francine Banger Wrote:It was just one game, Canada will be alright. Maybe this is the wake up call they needed, and better to get it out of the way early.
you're right, it is just one game but it's not a good sign for the canadians.

- slackjaw - 02-16-2002

I wouldn't worry too much about Canada. It is always an issue for the two western teams, that they need to adjust to the larger surface. This was Canada's adjustment game. I agree with FB, this should serve as a solid wake up call for the Canucks.

As far as the U.S. goes, maybe they have learned from their last Olympic outing. They were very down to business and played nearly flawless hockey. This is the team we all hoped would show up.

Tonight will be the real test..... the Russians. If the U.S. can beat Russia tonight, they will almost have a lock on the number one spot going into the next round. Goal differential plays a big part in Olympic seeding, and a 6-0 shut out always boosts that number.

- Sean Cold - 02-17-2002

Well, USA got a huge tie against Russia last night that we didn't deserve so I will take it. We were out played for 45 minutes of this game so 1 point is a gift that I will happily take. Richter stood on his head, I just hope Tkachuck will be ok for the rest of the Olympics cus he got fuckin stood up and crushed.

- Francine Banger - 02-17-2002

A tie in this game for the US is just as good as a win. Now they barring a major miracle they are assured of the #1 seed in group D, which means they will play Germany in the Quarterfinals, which will be a victory barring another major miracle.

Meanwhile Russia who will be the #2 seed, will play the #3 seed in Group C, which may very well be Canada.

Enormous difference between playing Canada and Germany.

- Sean Cold - 02-17-2002

Francine Banger Wrote:Enormous difference between playing Canada and Germany.
I agree with you 100%. Even though I would love to see Usa vs Canada, the longer it takes for that to happen, the better.