CDIH
GARY CARTER (& Eddie Murray) Elected to HOF - Baseball in January - nice! - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: GARY CARTER (& Eddie Murray) Elected to HOF - Baseball in January - nice! (/showthread.php?tid=4704)

- PeterDragon - 01-07-2003

Well, on this cold day in january, baseball announced the results of its hall of fame elections.
Gary Carter & Eddie Murray were (appropriately) elected to baseball's HOF.
Gary Carter Bio
Eddie Murray bio

As an "old timer" here, I can say without a doubt that "the kid" deserved election. An 11 time all-star, Carter could do everything you wanted a catcher to do: Hit, hit for power, drive in runs, and most importantly block pitches in dirt, call a good game, and throw out runners.
Of course, I'll remember him best as one of 2 key acquisitions that led to Mets 1986 championship.
he was a guy who always had a smile (as opposed to Murray who always had a scowl), and helped raise millions of dollars for the Leukemia Society of America - which has nothing to do with his worthiness for the HOF, but which has everything to do with why he was a guy you could root for (even when he was with the Expos).

Congratulations Kid.
:bow:

[Image: s_carter_vt.jpg]

Edited By PeterDragon on 1041977069

- JimmyBlueEyes - 01-08-2003

I got one thing to say....IT'S ABOUT FRIGGIN TIME!!!!!

- Arpikarhu - 01-08-2003

sandberg, gossage, sutter, and murphy got screwed. torre should be in too.

- Teenweek - 01-08-2003

[Image: matt.jpg]

- PeterDragon - 01-10-2003

Teen,
the Yankee most deserving of election is NOT Mattingly-
It is Gossage. The fact that Gossage & Sutter is not in is a joke.

- GonzoStyle - 01-10-2003

Gossage definetly deserves it.

Mattingly, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Never.

- Teenweek - 01-10-2003

baseball for whatever god knows why reason does not pick closers. Anyone think Eckersley will get in next year. He is only considered the best closer ever.

- PeterDragon - 01-10-2003

Quote:He is only considered the best closer ever.
Not by other relievers. (and yes he will get in - although I'm not sure 1st ballot). While he was a reliever, he was coddled, and was the first of the "start the top of the ninth only" relievers; Lee Smith is similarly over-rated. Eck will be helped by his starting career including 20 game winner.

I heard on ESPN a discussion, possibly by Dibble, but definitely including Gossage himself, on how these guys now have it easy to get saves. In sutter and gossage, 2 and 3 inning saves were common. Rivera might be a slightly different beast, because at least in the post season he has done enough of the 2 inning deals.

- JimmyBlueEyes - 01-10-2003

Sutter Goose and Smith deserve it. As Uncle Gonzy said about Mattingly...BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA, no friggin way. He didn't do enough in his career(i.e World Series ring) to warrant election. Eckersley should get in too. I was just really surprised guys like Concepcion, Murphy and Sandberg got looked over. Don't worry about Torre, he'll get in eventually.