CDIH
25th Hour - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: 25th Hour (/showthread.php?tid=4808)

- criticslovesnatch - 01-12-2003

Has anyone else seen this movie? It opened everywhere this weekend. I saw it yesterday, and its probably the best new movie that i've seen in about 2 years. Its written well, and every principle actor does an amazing job.

It also has one of the greatest monologues I've ever seen on film, Ed Norton's "Fuck You" montage to himself in the mirror.

This movie is great because it doesn't try to make this guy sympathetic or right, he was a drug dealer and deserved to get caught and go to jail. It just tells a great story abut a guy's last day as a free man.

Go see this movie.

- FAST FREDDY - 01-12-2003

Ditto.

Excellent flick!

Confusedmokey:

- LyricalGomez - 01-15-2003

Great, but very odd movie...Definetly worth seeing. Edward Norton should get an award for his performance, but of course he won't...Anyone else get the feeling that Norton is the Pacino of our generation? Does outstanding movies, gets praised for them, but gets dicked by the Oscars every single year.

- Teenweek - 01-16-2003

fuck the oscars, they seem to only like movies less than 10 people saw like the Pianist and overrated actresses who have never appeared in a good movie like Nicole Kidman.

Ed Norton is an amazing actor

- Galt - 07-18-2003

Quote:It also has one of the greatest monologues I've ever seen on film, Ed Norton's "Fuck You" montage to himself in the mirror

Just finished watching this on pay per view (Oh to not have to work), and while I agree that this is a great movie, I thought this scene sucked.

It was a complete and total ripoff of the exact same scene in Do the Right Thing.

However, unlike in Do The Right Thing, the scene was pointless. It didn't fit into what was going on in the movie. It came out of no where. At no point before or after did Norton talk about race or hating or loving NY.

That entire scene should have been cut out of the movie.

I thought Barry Pepper was great. The first scene with him as the broker was great. The scene with Pepper and Hoffman overlooking the WTC site was really good too. It was weird to see a movie make the entire situation as a major part of the movie. Most now try to ignore it, don't even show the gaping hole in the skyline. The lights at the opening credits, the overlooking scene, the firefighters. I thought that was cool.

Good flick.

- GonzoStyle - 07-21-2003

Quote:It was a complete and total ripoff of the exact same scene in Do the Right Thing.

Thats exactly what I been sayin for a while now, it was a good scene if it hadnt been done before. You are also correct it was not as poignant as the scene from do the right thing, cause it didn't fit. In do the right thing, it was perfect cause it was just the whole kettle boiling over.

- Galt - 07-21-2003

I watched a bit of this again today. This is a really good movie. I want to fuck Anna Paquin, and another great scene was when they shitbeat him in the park.

Good ending too.

- PatCooper - 08-09-2003

Saw it last night and it really was good. the fuck you scene was pointless though. Barry Pepper stole just about every scene he was in. This is a must see if you haven't already.

- criticslovesnatch - 08-09-2003

I <3 this movie.

- drusilla - 08-09-2003

i thought this it was a really good movie , but i felt like it was a little incomplete

- Keyser Soze - 08-09-2003

im really looking forward to seeing this.

- HedCold - 08-09-2003

drusilla Wrote:i thought this it was a really good movie , but i felt like it was a little incomplete
yea i thought it was incomplete too
you never find out what happened with the anna paquin character and the teacher guy
i'm not good with names

- PlasticMan - 08-10-2003

So why doesn't my local Hollywood video carry it? Is this just another case of The Man trying to keep Brother Lee down, or is there something else going on?

- PatCooper - 08-10-2003

it seemed like after they kissed in the bathroom and he walks out on her, that he realizes he shouldn't give in to his temptation.
the dvd has a feature dedicated to ground zero. they filmed ground zero at all hours of the day during the cleanup. some chilling shit to watch.

- HedCold - 08-10-2003

Quote:it seemed like after they kissed in the bathroom and he walks out on her, that he realizes he shouldn't give in to his temptation.
it was just weird how that was just the end of it

- LyricalGomez - 08-10-2003

It's Spike Lee, what do you expect, he always leaves shit like that open.

- Keyser Soze - 08-10-2003

i really enjoyed this but i felt like there was something missing. there werent really any big surprises or twists. i thought it was well done regardless. rosario was kinda weak in the acting department, especially that scene with barry pepper at the bar when he accuses her of selling ed norton out. she just didnt seem believable. i like barry pepper in just about everything ive seen him in, especially 61*. norton is one of the greatest actors of his generation. he's destined to be in the elite category of deniro, pacino, nicholson, hoffman, etc...

i thought they used 9/11 and the city in the right context, acknowledging it but not prostituting it for effect. im a big spike lee fan and enjoyed the special feature about him on the DVD as well.

i would have liked the movie to deal more about the consequences of what he did by dealing drugs instead of making him such a sympathetic character. i felt like spike glorified him too much and should have forced the audience to be more conflicted in their feelings for him.

i think the most powerful scene is where ed tells barry to make him ugly.