CDIH
WWE News & Notes - 1/31/2003 - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: The Smoke Room (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Faggy Artistic Forum (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: WWE News & Notes - 1/31/2003 (/showthread.php?tid=5176)

- GonzoStyle - 02-01-2003

- There are some rumors that John Laurinaitis may be next in line to get Jim Ross' position as Head of Talent Relations. Vince McMahon has talked to JR lately about slowing down and rumors of Ross retiring by the end of the year have once again re-emerged. Laurinaitis is currently the top agent on Smackdown!.

- Kevin Nash made a pitch to get himself into the Royal Rumble as a surprise entrant or in a run-in scenario, but WWE brass decided to keep him out. Nash is targetting a return for Wrestlemania 19 and is down to 297lbs from his previous weight of 327lbs and he intends to stay below 300 while wrestling.

- Lex Luger has told friends that despite having heat with the company, he feels that Vince McMahon will give him a call to come back to WWE soon, mainly because of his size and because Vince loves "surprises" and they are running out of logical candidates for said surprises.

- Vince McMahon met with Bill Goldberg and his agent Barry Bloom on January 8 in a hotel room and although no deal was reached, the two sides moved closer towards an agreement with Goldberg now actually considering more than a two-match deal. They discussed storylines involving him with Rock, Steve Austin, Kurt Angle and Undertaker but Triple H's name was left out due to bad relationship between the two stemming from an incident a few years ago.

- After the initial meeting, WWE requested ten dates per month from Goldberg, but that may have been as a negotiating ploy as to ultimately settle somewhere in between. WWE has also tried convincing Goldberg for a long-term deal but he's still leaning towards a shorter deal and is being backed up by the Rock who feels such an agreement would be best.

- Though 40,000 tickets have been sold for Wrestlemania 19, expect WWE to release about 10,000 more over the next two months which would bring the total to about 50,000 putting the event behind Houston's Wrestlemania X-7.

- Vince McMahon was said to be very unimpressed by the Triple H-Scott Steiner angle a couple of weeks ago during the bench pressing contest. Those backstage said he was overreacting to a point that nobody has seen before.

- There is even more news coming out about the Rock planning to take more time off from the WWE. Of course, it was announced last night at Smackdown that the Rock will face Hogan at February's No Way Out PPV. Initially the Rock had commited to work Wrestlemania and Backlash, but as things stand now, it looks like he'll be appearing at No Way Out and Wrestlemania instead. It is now expected that the Rock will be working on a project over the summer, thus making him more scarce from WWE television that originally planned.

- The general consensus of Nathan Jones is that he is somewhat of a primadonna and does not appreciate the huge push that he is getting. In addition, he does not respect his fellow wrestlers as much as he should. Some also feel that Jones has not yet begun to pay his dues, and his ring work is down right awful.

- Mick Foley was invited to attend the Raw X show two weeks ago but declined due to the fact that WWE wanted him there for 10 to 12 hours on the day of the show to rehearse. He also wanted his first appearance back on WWE TV to be more significant but as of this writing, there are no plans to bring him back in any capacity.

- As many expected, there was some strong opposition to Vince McMahon bringing back Hulk Hogan, mainly after the falling out they had last year. However, Hogan was very interested in coming back for one final Wrestlemania payoff and it's quite evident that WWE is pulling out all the stops to make that event a grand spectacular.

- Teenweek - 02-01-2003

Quote:Lex Luger has told friends that despite having heat with the company, he feels that Vince McMahon will give him a call to come back to WWE soon, mainly because of his size and because Vince loves "surprises" and they are running out of logical candidates for said surprises.

Most of this stuff I knew but when I read this today, I definitely thought this was far and away teh funniest.

:rofl: :rofl: :banana:

- Goatweed - 02-01-2003

He's right about the WWE running out of surprises, but he's wrong thinking that he'd make a great one. I'd rather see X-Pac come back than see him make a surprise appearance.

It was actually extremely pathetic, I felt sad when I read it.

I picture him sitting by the phone just waiting for that call.

- Teenweek - 02-01-2003

isn't he making an ass out of himself in wwa, who has like a once a year PPV. Would love to see shamrock back in a match vs angle or benoit.

- Goatweed - 02-01-2003

I bet he makes a surprise appearance on NWA-TNA :lol:

Shamrocks expressed little to no interest but anything is possible.

- Teenweek - 02-01-2003

well it couldnt be any worse after the rock and roll express and tony schiavone and zbysko, david flair, a fat roadogg and nikita koloff

I'm surprised by the whole Nathan Jones thing though, this may be a bad sign of things to come. Especially with hotheads like steiner and HHH walking around backstage.

- Teenweek - 02-01-2003

nathan jones is on smackdown. he already has appeared in dark matches tagging with benoit.

He best becareful he don't get fucked up backstage or stabbed with a pair of scissors like sid and arn anderson.

- Teenweek - 02-01-2003

did you hear he sprained matt hardys ankle in a dark match. I think it was his first match. he is thenew RVD.

- Sir O - 02-01-2003

Quote:- Vince McMahon met with Bill Goldberg and his agent Barry Bloom on January 8 in a hotel room and although no deal was reached, the two sides moved closer towards an agreement with Goldberg now actually considering more than a two-match deal. They discussed storylines involving him with Rock, Steve Austin, Kurt Angle and Undertaker but Triple H's name was left out due to bad relationship between the two stemming from an incident a few years ago.

- After the initial meeting, WWE requested ten dates per month from Goldberg, but that may have been as a negotiating ploy as to ultimately settle somewhere in between. WWE has also tried convincing Goldberg for a long-term deal but he's still leaning towards a shorter deal and is being backed up by the Rock who feels such an agreement would be best.
No way Goldberg signs a long term deal, unless Vince REALLY opens up his checkbook. He's making crazy money in Japan right now (something like $50,000 per appearance, but don't quote me on that), and a long term WWE contract would put an end to that.

I would like to see Goldberg vs. Austin though. It'd be interesting.

Quote:- The general consensus of Nathan Jones is that he is somewhat of a primadonna and does not appreciate the huge push that he is getting. In addition, he does not respect his fellow wrestlers as much as he should. Some also feel that Jones has not yet begun to pay his dues, and his ring work is down right awful.
He injured Matt Hardy last week, I believe it was his third house show match. Reportedly, he botched a powerslam and the fans let him hear it. How the FUCK do you botch a powerslam?

Interesting article on Jones...yeah, this guy's gonna be a hit backstage:

Quote:Muscling in on crime fame
Jason Gregory
25jan03
NEWS footage of former Queensland premier Wayne Goss is being used in wrestling commercials on US television to promote former Gold Coast man mountain and convicted armed robber Nathan Jones.

Nicknamed "The Colossus of Boggo Road", Jones, 208cm tall, 150kg and all muscle, is set to launch a professional wrestling career with World Wrestling Entertainment and is using footage of the former premier's news conferences to verify Jones's criminal past.

Former Gold Coast resident and current New York Daily News journalist Ben Widdicombe said he was surprised to see the Queensland television footage being used to promote Jones's wrestling career.

"I'm an ex-Queenslander in New York and was surprised to see Wayne Goss on national telly tonight," Mr Widdicombe said.

"According to clips featuring Goss and other Queensland worthies, Jones is a crim so mean he had to be moved from Hobart to Boggo Road. And then he escaped, goes the promo. It's all very Prisoner."

Jones was jailed for eight years for armed robbery in 1989, and initially won fame for ripping cell doors off their hinges and snapping handcuffs.

It once took 10 prison guards to restrain him when he went berserk in Hobart's Risdon jail, where a political scandal was created after it was revealed gas was often used to subdue him.

Jones attempted to launch a career as a Hollywood film star in 1995 but encountered problems when his visa was revoked because of his violent past and self-confessed steroid abuse.

The "Monster from Down Under" has been the centre of wrestling chatroom speculation on the Internet. Some fans believe his criminal past is a gimmick fabricated to enhance the role created for him of a Hannibal Lecter-type madman.

In 1989 Jones underwent surgery to remove a mammary gland in his left breast which began to produce milk as a result of steroid abuse.

At the time he boasted 50cm biceps – larger than Arnold Schwarzenegger at his peak.

Jones has worked as a bodyguard, won several strength titles, including the Scotland Highland Games' Strongest Man in the World competition in 1995 where he lifted a 420kg car off the ground and carried it for 30m.

Last year he jiggled his way into the lounge rooms of Australian tea fanciers when promoting Lipton tea.

A spokesman for WWE admitted the news footage had been used in promoting Jones but refused to reveal details of how the advertisement was made or whether Mr Goss had given permission for it to be used.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common....00.html">http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common....00.html</a><!-- m -->

- Sir O - 02-01-2003

Oh, also, concerning Shamrock, he still wants to compete in UFC. He's losing weight to move down to light-heavyweight, where he feels he'll be more successful. After the fight against Ortiz, it was obvious that his days as a heavyweight are over.

I'm sure, once he finally hangs it up for good, there will be a spot for him in the WWE.

- The Jays - 02-01-2003

... Where's Norman Smiley??? That's the surprise that I want....

Quote:In 1989 Jones underwent surgery to remove a mammary gland in his left breast which began to produce milk as a result of steroid abuse.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

I bet he was a hit in jail with that one.

That could be his finisher, he can spray people in the eyes with his tit milk.

- LyricalGomez - 02-01-2003

Somehow I doubt people laughed at a 7 foot tall monster who ripped the doors off of jail cells