CDIH
Arena Football - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Arena Football (/showthread.php?tid=5201)

Pages: 1 2

- Hey Ladi - 02-03-2003

Ok, so I'm reading the Wall St Journal, and they are talking about arena football. NBC is going to put it on tv, & is hoping for 2 million viewers. The Super Bowl got 138 million.

Is it any good? Does it compare to the regular kind? Will anyone watch?

Quote:Since 1990, fees paid by networks to televise the NFL, NBA & MLB - by far the priciest leagues- have soared 133% to more than $3.5 billion a year. But the deals haven't paid off. According to a report by Morgan Stanley in December, Viacom Inc.'s CBS, Walt Disney's ABC & News Corp's Fox will have losses of $5.5 billion combined on the big 3 & other major sports contracts between 2000 & 2006.

- Teenweek - 02-03-2003

it can't do worse than the xfl.

- Hey Ladi - 02-03-2003

how long did that last?

- LyricalGomez - 02-03-2003

1 season

- Teenweek - 02-03-2003

1 year. AFL is on 17, but now it is on NBC. Putting Football on NBC seems to give it a death wish. First NFL goes to CBS, XFL after the first week, the ratings plummet and is canceled after 1 year.

- fbd - 02-03-2003

afl is actually good. they dont try to pretend they can compete with the nfl, so they changed most of the rule book. field is only about 60, 70 yards or something, and very thin. the sidelines are boards(padded, of course). the uprights are much thinner, and on kickoffs, they put up the net, and if a returner wants to, he can return it after it falls out of the net. touchbacks bring you to the 5, not the 20. the running game is practically nonexistant, but passing is pretty accurate. good if you like a fast paced game, and you're bored. plus, you get to see guys like tommy maddox before they make it big

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 02-04-2003

I check out an arena game every once and a while...it's not as good as college even...but it's cool to watch...cause its's different

- JimmyBlueEyes - 02-04-2003

If I remember correctly, it was on ABC or NBC when it first started back in the 80's and there were something like 10 teams. It didn't go over very well then. I'm kinda skeptical as to how it will work out ths time around. What I would like to see more of is NFL Europe or rename it the world league like it was back in the 80's and add more American teams in smaller markets, which is what they did when it first got started.

- Skitchr4u - 02-04-2003

i think that arena football is a lot of fun...sure it isn't the nfl, but thats the point. the league has been around almost 20 years, and the guys are the ones who either a)need a little work before going to the nfl or B)are old nfl'ers not ready to hang it up. the fast paced action is fun, plus i prefer a passing game over a running game anyday.

- DGW - 02-04-2003

indoor lacrosse is the foddidly fuschnizzly

- The Sleeper - 02-05-2003

Quote:plus, you get to see guys like tommy maddox before they make it big
bzzzzzt, maddox was in the xfl. you probably meant kurt warner, right? Rolleyes

- fbd - 02-05-2003

no, actually, tommy was in the afl for a few seasons, too. read any of the 500000 profiles of his strange path to stardom, they mention both. he was on the las vegas team

- The Sleeper - 02-05-2003

bah

- LyricalGomez - 02-05-2003

OWNED

- drusilla - 02-06-2003

Quote:indoor lacrosse is the foddidly fuschnizzly

i used to work for the NY Saints. about 2 years ago i was the assistant athletic trainer.

mmmmm lacrosse players

i had so much fun. they weren't very good & got their asses kicked, but i had the best time working for them.

i know the head athletic trainer for the new york dragons. he did all sorts of other jobs & got kinda burnt out from it all, til he got this job, now he loves it. i also went to college with one of the guys on the dragons. he doesn't get much playing time, but he likes it.

i like the afl. it's pretty fast paced, unlike nfl. i wanna go to a game or two.

- diceisgod - 02-09-2003

Lame

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 02-10-2003

Do you think Slamball is like arena football in that it's a faster paced version of basketball that's alot of fun to watch?

- drusilla - 02-10-2003

slamball is pretty fun to watch too

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 02-10-2003

hey dru...I played LaX in high school...I'd play here but the coach sucks and well I'm not good either...

- LyricalGomez - 02-10-2003

Slamball is fun, although can anyone tell me why they don't seem to show entire games?

Maybe I'm nuts but they just skip around to the highlights