CDIH
John Ruiz vs Roy Jones fight - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: John Ruiz vs Roy Jones fight (/showthread.php?tid=5416)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Teenweek - 02-28-2003

Anyone else looking forward to this fight tomorrow night. Should be decent. I have always loved Roy Jones in the ring. He won't knock him out but I think Jones is too quick and too fast for Ruiz. I don't see Ruiz landing anything solid on Jones. I say Jones in a unanimous decision.

- DGW - 02-28-2003

looking forward to it
rootin for Jones no question
interested to see how he moves with the added weight'

- Buttmunch - 02-28-2003

Anybody getting together to watch this?

I'd love to see it.

- Gooch - 02-28-2003

I am looking very forward to the fight. We are on a PPV kick this weekend b/c tonight is UFC, and tomorrow night, the boxing match. I hope and pray Roy Jones can win, but at only 193 for the fight, giving Ruiz a 33 lb advantage, I am a bit concerned.

- Keyser Soze - 02-28-2003

On another boxing note, the History channel is running an interesting show called "Tales From The Hall Of Fame" about some of the greatest boxers ever. Really cool stuff, learned about some white boxers in the 50s I never even heard of.

- GonzoStyle - 02-28-2003

You lured me out of my hiatus with this one you bastard, you know I can't resist the bait when it's boxing.

I discussed this a while ago in the info forum. Jones is a favorite in the casual boxing fans eyes but not in the boxing worlds eyes. Yes Jones is the most gifted fighter in the game today. Jones has superb hand speed, foot speed, ring smarts, and a heavy duty chin (jones has only been knocked down once on an off balance shot).

Ruiz is called "the quiet man" for a reason, he never gets his just due cause of his embarassing loss to David Tua, in which Ruiz was KO'ed in 19 seconds of the 1st round back in 1996. Since then Ruiz has become a different fighter, he stood no chance against Holyfield but officially beat him once and unofficially beat him twice cause he got a raw deal in the 1st fight. Ruiz was then supposed to lose to Kirk Johnson but even though the fight was sloppy Ruiz showed an excellent chin and better in ring ability.

Jones actually has no added weight, he fights at 175 but he enters the ring usually at 183-187 pounds. He weighed in for the fight at 193, so he didn't add on much weight.The only problem here is that jones never carried over his enormous power to light heavyweight, from middleweight. He still bangs hard for a light heavyweight cause he punches in bunches, or accumilates punishment on his opponent.

Jones will not KO Ruiz if he does that will be a 1 in a million shot. Ruiz has taken this fight with no guaranteed money and he wanted this fight more than Jones so he is not gonna come in half assed, he is gonna be at the top of his game. Ruiz is great at cutting off the ring, grabbing his opponent and then pummeling him on the inside, thats how he knocked down the granite chinned Holyfield.

You can say Holyfield is old and past his prime but the chin is the last to go after speed and power. Even lennox lewis whose punching power dwarfs anyones couldn't knock down or even hurt Holyfield in their two fights. Ruiz convincigly beat him twice and knocked him down.

Jones would become only the second man in history to win the Heavyweight title after coming up from light heavyweight. But there is a huge difference in how he will do it.

Michael Spinks beat the true heavyweight champion when he moved up from light heavyweight. Michael Spinks took on A prime Larry Holmes in the early 80's. Holmes was 48-0 and going for 49-0 to match Marcianos record for wins with no losses, when not only did spinks beat holmes, he knocked him out.

Ruiz is "a champ" but not the champ, he holds a version of the title but he is not the champ. It will be an accomplishment but it can not be compared to what Spinks did when he defeated one of the most dominant and greatest heavyweights of all time.

Jones will have to fight on the outside. But a danger lies in Jones style, he lays on the ropes at times during a fight and that may be his downfall, he can't lay on the ropes with Ruiz. Jones has looked spectacular for years against mediocore opponents, he hasn't been challanged since he fought James Toney in 1994.

The list is long and distinguished of fighters who tried moving up but never could make it. Even the greatest fighter of all times, Sugar Ray Robinson couldn't handle the move from welter to middleweight as well. He almost literally was killed in the ring when he moved up for one fight at light heavyweight, he was on the brink of death for a week after the fight.

Jones can win but doesn't mean he will win, I am favoring ruiz by late round KO or Jones by Decision.

What blows is that I have to work tomorow night and I am taping the fight. I dont mind watching it a couple hours later when I get home. My only fear is that the fight will be at about 11:30 or midnight, we are open till 1:am. I don't want some fucko coming in after the fight yelling the outcome. I swear I will bathe in their blood if they do.

is this fight on hbo, showtime, or PPV?

- GonzoStyle - 02-28-2003

PPV ofcourse.

who'd you learn about on the history channel, keyser?

- crack hitler - 02-28-2003

ok, i don't really know dick about boxing, other than i like to watch a good fight, so my opinion is meaningless. that being said, i am taking ruiz. i think there is a huge difference between just having a heavyweight's body to begin with as opposed to putting on weight that you are not used to. i think ruiz will knock him down in the later rounds but not a K.O.

these two white brawlers who fought back in the 50s, around the time Sugar Ray Robinson was champ. Sugar Ray was stripped of his title and these two fought in one of the most anticipated matches of that time, Carmen Basilio and another white boxer whose name escapes me right now. The show was hosted by Sugar Ray Leonard, you would love it, i'm sure THC will replay it again soon.

- GonzoStyle - 03-01-2003

Tony Demarco.

Robinson fought Basillio twice in two of most grueling fights ever. In the first and second fights Basillio suffered deep cuts on his face. He fought Demarco twice and once with only one eye, cause his left eye was completely soaked with blood and he lost vision in it. The Demarco fights were among the best in middleweight history. Basillio was one of the best ever but doesn't get his just due.

As far as what Crack said, he is right. Jones may look amazing against light heavyweights. But Ruiz has taken shots from some of the best Heavyweights his whole career. There is a big difference being hit by a 160 or 175 pound fighter and a 220-250 pound fighter. It's not just the weight the weight has little to do with it actually except for Ruiz having an advantage in clinches. Even a journeyman heavyweight will punch harder than any top 10 light heavyweight.

The old saying is always a good big man will always beat a great little man.

But don't count jones out ofcourse. My concern is that jones has never been hurt and not all fighters react well the first time they taste their own blood or are dazed. How will jones react if he gets cut or gets rocked? Ruiz has bled, he's been hurt and even beaten and has bounced back from it.

- diceisgod - 03-01-2003

Jones will knock him out in the 5th.

- PatCooper - 03-01-2003

I'd like to see Jones lose by TKO. Dont think it will happen but it would be enjoyable to watch. Jones is by far the better boxer and if he out boxes Ruiz tonight he will win. I think once jones takes a few shots though his stratgey might change. Thats when jones runs inot some problems. I'm going Ruiz in the 7th TKO.

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 03-02-2003

So what was the out come??? :clueless:

- PatCooper - 03-02-2003

Fight hasn't even started yet. Rolleyes

- crack hitler - 03-02-2003

are there opening bouts before the ruiz jones fight?

I thought it was last night...oh well...someone post afterward and let me know how it ended...

- JimmyBlueEyes - 03-02-2003

watching it now....so far so good

WBK kept me posted as did ESPN...it sounded like a real ass beatin...what'd everyone think?

- Gooch - 03-02-2003

Ruiz would have been knocked out if Jones had been less cautious. Ruiz was controlled by Jones, beaten to the punch, and seemed tonot like exchanging punches with Jones after the 1st round.

Edited By Gooch on 1046586697