CDIH
Car Audio Advice - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Car Audio Advice (/showthread.php?tid=5460)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Keyser Soze - 03-05-2003

I'm looking to upgrade the audio system in my 2003 Nissan 350Z. I bought the model that did not come with the Bose audio system and i'm trying to decide if I should go to Nissan and just upgrade it to the Bose or go get a custom system built.

I'm looking to spend around $700-800 for the system, maybe more if I decide to add a nav/dvd system.

Any people around here up on car audio that can help me out?

I need to be able to hook my MiniDisc player to the system as well, I believe thats through an FM transmitter.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 03-05-2003

for your mini disc player, cant you just use a car stereo with an aux outlet?

yes, i'm planning on getting a head unit with that feature

- Buttmunch - 03-05-2003

They make head units for cars?

I love road head!

Stick to the topic slappy! I need car audio advice?

Who does good installs? The big boys like Tweeter and The Wiz or local mom and pop shops?

- Buttmunch - 03-05-2003

Mom might give good install, but don't let Pop catch you.

- Goatweed - 03-05-2003

I used to swear by a mom & pop store by me, but last time they really fucked up my install. I have an older Sony head/tape deck, nice sound, decent amp in the trunk and a 10" MTX box. Long Story short, it sounded horrible and when I brought it back he tried to make it sound the way I wanted it to but claimed it was the equipment's fault (I supplied all my stuff, I took it out of my Honday when I got rid of it). I went to Best Buy to check out what they said, and they could install it no problem for half what he charged me, but if I bought a new radio the install - including all my equipment - was free. I was meaning on getting a new radio anyway, with a cd player or mp3 player or both anyway. I haven't gotten it done yet, but once the spring comes I plan on getting it done.

Ask around your neighborhood for mom & pop places - at least with the bog chains if they fuck it up, they have to fix it or refund you. The mom & pop place by me only gave me half back :angry:

I'm thinking of taking it over to Tweeter, over here in Princeton where I work.

- LyricalGomez - 03-05-2003

Ideally you'd get some little local place to take care of it for you, but like goat said they better be good at it, because if they fuck up you will have a major hassle trying to get it fixed, unlike BB or CC where you could just get your money back.

But before I go further, what are you looking to replace? Do you want subs? Do you want a single unit or cd changer? Does your car make it easy to install speakers?

The last one sounds weird but alot of car makers tell stores you need a certain type of speaker that in the end won't fit, I was told by VC and CC that I needed 6 inch speakers for my car, when that wasn't true, because VW speakers have this huge almost 1 inch ring of plastic around the speaker that makers it fit in, I had to have a custom install on the front and had to wind up getting 6 and a half oversized for the back.

Now one way you will be able to save good money is ebay. I managed to get the set-up for my old car for 100 bucks, which included two 12 inch phoenix gold subs, and a nice plexi box(you'll pay more than 100 for the box at most stores) and wound up paying only like 150 bucks for installation at CC. If I had bought that set-up from them I would've blown 1000 bucks easily. I also got some nice speakers cheap through ebay for my moms car and had no problem, just check out the sellar and there should be no problem.

Sadly, no matter what you do, you will probablly wind up spending more than 800 if you want to do a complete system overhaul, but it's easier to break it up. I'm going to redo my system again and am saving up right now for a new cd unit (I wanna get that fucking sweet sony one)

I'm looking to replace the stock system. 1 speaker in each door, 1 behind each seat, all the same size and the head unit.

Tweeter quoted me the following Alpine system which he demo'ed for me and sounded sweet...

CDA9807 Alpine Head Unit: $279.99 + $45 install + $30 Parts
[Image: cda-7893.gif]

Alpine Type R 6 1/2 Speakers: $179.99 per pair (x2) + $60 install
[Image: spr-694a.gif]

Total Price: $775

Edited By Keyser Soze on 1046899158

I'm personally not a fan of Alpine, but they make good stuff. That's a very good deal on the deck installation, but unless they have to custom install the speakers I can't see how they justify that price for it. Frankly, why not just install them yourself? It takes maybe 5 minutes a speaker.

I have no idea how to install a head unit or speakers. I'll gladly pay someone a hundred bucks to do it properly.

No, the unit you should never install yourself, but speakers are easy to install and definetly not worth 60 bucks unless they have to make a custom fitting for it.

Also I did some checking, are you dead set on that unit? Because they have basically the same unit, just in black and green for 80 bucks less

- LZMF1 - 03-05-2003

go kenwood or pioneer for the head unit. :thumbs-up:

speakers.......maybe some boston acoustics

lemme tell you what BOSE is an acronym for.....Box Only Speakers Extra......i was told this by a friend that works in car audio.

like goat i stick to local mom & pop shops.

Do not under any circumstances go for Kenwood, their shit breaks like nobodies buisness.

Your friend is an idiot, Bose makes the best speakers on the market, they're not worth what Bose charges for them, but they're still the best.

Personally I like Pioneer the best, but my next unit isn't going to be Pioneer because I just fell in love with the sony deck, and it sounds so fucking great with the set-up I'm shooting for.

[Image: 11191498frA.jpg]

Tweeter highly reccommended the Boston speakers, but I listened to both and I actually thought the cheaper Alpine speakers sounded better! I actually really like the crome and blue color, it matches the crome and black color scheme of my interior. I'm willing to pay more for it.

How easy is it to install speakers? Am I going to rip my door apart doing it?

LZ, what do you mean by Box Only Speakers Extra?

Anyone know a good Mom and Pop shop in Jersey?

Yeah, it's always a good idea to listen to all speakers before deciding, I acctually bought cheaper speakers because the bass hit harder, it all depends on what you're looking for.

Well, for me it was easy, I removed the speaker cover, unscrewed the speaker, detached the wires, attached them to the new speakers, and screwed it in. But it might be harder on your car. I'd check and see why they want that much, like I said they might have to custom fit it, if that's the case you have to spring for the 60 bucks, but if you can just drop them in with no problem I really don't see why they would charge that much unless they plan on redoing your wiring

- LZMF1 - 03-05-2003

keyser it means that you're paying for the name.

gomez you sure seem to know everything about everything.....don't you?

he asked for recommendations and i gave mine.

me personally i had a nakamichi head unit and a nakamichi changer, a pioneer amp, boston acoustics 2-ways in the corners of the dashboard and last but not least kenwood speakers in the doors and i had ZERO probs with them.

i sold that vehicle and i haven't really bothered to upgrade the system that's in my nissan. i like the steering mounted stereo controls and the 6 disc changer that came with it.

I know that anyone who thinks Bose speakers aren't the best is a fucking idiot who has no buisness being anywhere near electronics.

- LZMF1 - 03-05-2003

ok what about rockford fosgate?

better worse or on par with BOSE

you know what...forget it.

i guess you really are omniscient so i better just stop. :disappointed: